Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Flowmaster Delta Boost module - 4 psi boost gain for $239

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I just like the option of being careful when the engine is cold since it takes about one second to switch...

That’s all you needed to say. You’ve got a heavy foot and the economy tune helps you out. I’m tracking now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #42
Spoken by someone who does not own an AP and, therefore, is not driving with the 93 octane E30 Stratified tune I drive with every day. Thanks for setting me straight. [scratch]
Hey man, I was just trying to say that even tuned the ECU still keeps it's protections in place such limiting boost before it's fully warmed up... and even then if you are worried about it, all you have to do is drive easy for 5 minutes... This is my 3rd GDI-T car in a row so I know how the tuning works. Sorry if my original tone was a little off, I was just trying to clarify and question a bit why you would think all that is necessary, it's OK to say "Ya, that's cool, I just choose to be extra careful", I can respect that.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #43
The warm-up slots are just Stratified's boost-limited eco tunes, which limit boost to a max 15 psi. Alex did one for my 93 tune and one for my E30 tune. With 5 slots in a single file, you have the option to run several configurations that you can change almost instantly. The Stratified tunes build boost with lightning speed compared to stock. My short road ends at an intersection with a 50 mph road, where people travel well over 50 mph. Even trying to be super gentle on the throttle it is very easy to get pretty big boost numbers on my tune very quickly when trying not to get run over. So when my car is cold, I just run in a 15 psi slot and it takes about one second to switch on the fly when temps come up a bit. I am a believer in the school of thought that an engine should be brought up to operating temperature before it is driven hard, and limiting max boost to 15 psi on an engine that has been started from cold for less than a minute seems like a good thing to me. The real issue for me is just how fast the car builds big boost numbers on this Stratified tune, which is a great thing and an amazing change over the stock tune. I just like the option of being careful when the engine is cold since it takes about one second to switch to a full boost slot even when driving.
OK, just saw this and can totally respect where you're coming from.. I still think that the ECU retains protections such as limiting boost until warmed up, if Stratified disables this, then I didn't know... but you make sense man, sorry didn't mean any offense, I was just questioning your reasoning so thanks for taking time to explain.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #44
Getting an accessport will most likely be one of the biggest improvements you can achieve with a stock turbo until you get a hybrid or big turbo. I balked it at first also....Don't feel bad. But looking back I'm really happy I got it and you can get some through tuners with a tune included on top of the Cobb OTS tune. I have the stratified Tune with a stocker right now with flash tunes for 91 oct ....93 oct.... and E30. I was extremely impressed with what can be done with the accessport and a tune from a vendor such as stratified. I love the fact that they create slots affiliated with the cruise control so you can change on the fly and don't have to shut the car down to uninstall and reinstall another tune, if you aren't in a area that has the Octane you want. I do believe it is the only way you can remote tune and not actually have to be at the tuners shop to get everything all dialed in perfect. Just bite the performance bullet ...you will not regret it after you realize its full potential that it holds!
Exactly, I was considering the Mountune package with extra slots, I was just looking for more feedback on that particular device as I found it fascinating a company as reputable as Flowmaster would put their name and reputation on it. Especially since the stock turbo is limiting tuning gains in general, I was thinking that maybe this device could get me about 80% of the gains as an AP tune for less than half the price if I'm not doing any other mods at all.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #45
My buddy is running a Flowmaster Delta Boost Performance Tuner on his 2017 3.5L Ecoboost F150. Gains were definitely noticeable but not day/night. He's been running it since last year no problems. Not sure he's ever taken it off even for maintenance. The claimed +4psi 18hp 25ft lbs are the exact some numbers on the catalog for the F150 and the FiSt. Wonder if that's a typo or they do the same thing on all motors?

This device is the same thing as the Burger Tuning JB1 piggybacks popular on BMWs and VWs. The piggyback modules basically just trick your sensors into thinking everything is within proper parameters while allowing for more boost, airflow and sometimes fuel. Your ECU adjusts accordingly. Since the simplicity of the system, they are generally VERY conservative to keep your motor safe. Power gains are also conservative as well.

For platforms where an AP isn't available, these piggybacks are popular since the only other option usually involves a $$$ custom Dyno tune that is 'stuck' on your car until you go back to the tuner.

Also since they trick your sensors, supposedly all the parameters on any ecu data digging would come up normal. That's how they are 'untraceable'.

FWIW I have an extended powertrain warranty and choose to run an AP with E30 tune.
Excellent feedback, thank you! So would you say, even with our small turbo limiting gains, that I would see twice the results going AP over something like this? I personally like the AP too but I'm budget limited and was just curious...

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Quit trying to be FRUGAL...your vehicle deserves this mod Like an ice cube needs to be cold.[rockon]

HBEcoBeaST

Excellent feedback, thank you! So would you say, even with our small turbo limiting gains, that I would see twice the results going AP over something like this? I personally like the AP too but I'm budget limited and was just curious...
Going off my observation with other piggyback chips, you would probably see closer to 25% of the gains vs a 'custom' tune. I'm sure it's'safe' and I'm sure there are gains, but worth almost $250?

The 'Stage 1' tune the Cobb AP comes with is quite underwhelming and I barely noticed it. I was very disappointed. However, once my 'canned' tune from Stratified arrived all doubts were gone. It blows the Cobb ots tune out of the water and turned my car into a torque monster. I'm really happy with it. I think the gains are close to +30hp and +80lbs of torque over stock. Definitely worth $500ish.

I got the tune with the purchase of the AP. You can save $ by ordering the AP from the tuner of your choice.

If I were you I'd:
-Save for the AP from a tuner with 'free' tune
Or
-spend your $250 on an intake for 1-2+hp and 5ft lbs+ of torque + whoosh noises

If you want to do a review, dynos and post results, by all means please do. But if I were on a budget I personally would spend money on other things.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

HBEcoBeaST

Quit trying to be FRUGAL...your vehicle deserves this mod Like an ice cube needs to be cold.[rockon]
I agree 'frugal' isn't good but there's definitely a threshold for costs vs benefits. If truly 80% of the gains could be had to 50%of the price, is that a bad deal?

In this case, the more expensive option is the better one. The price of an AP with tune is roughly double the flowmaster unit, but the gains are probably 4x as much, plus the gauges, logging, flexibility, etc.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I agree 'frugal' isn't good but there's definitely a threshold for costs vs benefits. If truly 80% of the gains could be had to 50%of the price, is that a bad deal?

In this case, the more expensive option is the better one. The price of an AP with tune is roughly double the flowmaster unit, but the gains are probably 4x as much, plus the gauges, logging, flexibility, etc.

Its not a bad deal but more along the lines of a poor choice between the two given for the foreseeable future...especially if he goes hybrid or Big turbo as he was asking about in other posts. [popcorn]

HBEcoBeaST

Its not a bad deal but more along the lines of a poor choice between the two given for the foreseeable future...especially if he goes hybrid or Big turbo as he was asking about in other posts. [popcorn]
Yea and the gains are probably minimal at best with the flowmaster. I definitely recommend the AP.

I'm running into the whole cost vs benefits thing on my audio upgrade where doubling the cost gets maybe 20% increase in quality. Easy for me to draw the line.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #51
Going off my observation with other piggyback chips, you would probably see closer to 25% of the gains vs a 'custom' tune. I'm sure it's'safe' and I'm sure there are gains, but worth almost $250?

The 'Stage 1' tune the Cobb AP comes with is quite underwhelming and I barely noticed it. I was very disappointed. However, once my 'canned' tune from Stratified arrived all doubts were gone. It blows the Cobb ots tune out of the water and turned my car into a torque monster. I'm really happy with it. I think the gains are close to +30hp and +80lbs of torque over stock. Definitely worth $500ish.

I got the tune with the purchase of the AP. You can save $ by ordering the AP from the tuner of your choice.

If I were you I'd:
-Save for the AP from a tuner with 'free' tune
Or
-spend your $250 on an intake for 1-2+hp and 5ft lbs+ of torque + whoosh noises

If you want to do a review, dynos and post results, by all means please do. But if I were on a budget I personally would spend money on other things.

Thanks again for the support and great feedback from both of you, this has definitely made a lot of sense... I know that the Cobb OTS tunes are underwhelming but with Stratified and Mountune offering good deals on their AP's by including custom tunes that is certainly the way to go now!

FWIW I paid just over $400 for my AP from Mountune, bundled with the air filter. I used one of those silly discount codes that were floating around here.

HBEcoBeaST

FWIW I paid just over $400 for my AP from Mountune, bundled with the air filter. I used one of those silly discount codes that were floating around here.
Nice! I think they have an AP, drop in filter, tune combo for $500 too. Not a bad deal considering I paid $46 for my k&n drop in.

Nice! I think they have an AP, drop in filter, tune combo for $500 too. Not a bad deal considering I paid $46 for my k&n drop in.

Yeah, that's the setup I bought. Didn't really need the filter, but it never hurts to have spares when running the cleanable type. I've always had at least 2 filters for any of my cars that were running a K&N type, so I can always have one oiled up and ready to go during service intervals.

I bought the Delta Boost and a Tornado Air fuel saver and installed them on my FiST last week. I got 310whp and 78mpg without a tune. 10/10. Would buy again.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #56
Crrrrrrap... Just paid $400 for AP with only Cobb and the Mountune drop in used! I wish I knew about that code! LOL

Anyway, I'm very happy I went with the AP, and the Cobb tune is VERY underrated for how much it fixes the powerband into something much more fun and useful!