Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Euro ST180 FMIC on USDM?

Just waiting on shipping info from the seller.

As long as I don't have 40+ degree charge temp increases like the stock one during a 1/4 mile pass, I'll be happy.

zanethan

Just waiting on shipping info from the seller.

As long as I don't have 40+ degree charge temp increases like the stock one during a 1/4 mile pass, I'll be happy.
Please update us after your install. I'm very interested in the performance of this intercooler.

Got the transaction done today. Ended up contacting the vendor on facebook since eBay is a pain.

$224.14, WAY under what I was considering spending on a treadstone TR6+some couplers.

XanRules

if I had to guess I'd bet it's the same MTC core as many other intercoolers on the market. I will again stress that I don't know shit and am just guessing.

XanRules

Ah no, Nevlock states on their ebay page for this intercooler that it is Bar amd Plate. Mountune is Tube and Fin.
There is a lot of debate about this and a person that I won’t name who possibly worked for a Bar and Plate company wrote several papers on why Bar and Plate was superior.
Yet he did not look at all the science. Plus their have been advances since he wrote those papars back in. 2003.
The two most often and easily seen of these so called adavantages are . Larger mass area in the same size with Bar and Plate due to being able to pack more cooling fins into the same area. The other one that was touted wa sturdiness by design.

Now a few things need to be dispelled here. First off the man was comparing then new Bar and Plate designs From both Spearco( considered to be the father company of Bar and Plate and Garrett( who makes both types)).
In this comparision he compared modern Bar and and Plate to old design tube and fin. In those comparisons yes Bar and Plate seemed better.
They used the original design of tube and fin as an example why the coolers were weaker. Which was true.

There is one Caveat that give Tube and Fin a couple of interesting and cool features that Bar and Plate fail at.
One is because of spacing air passes through them better. This means while a charge temp may rise quicker it will fall quicker as well, VS Bar and Plate which while the charge temp will rise slower it will fall a lot slower. Essentially meaning more downtime waiting for the core to cool down. Which means the core gets hot it stays hot and your out of the game till it cools.

The other is the fact that charge air inherently flows through better with a Tube and Fin design by shear physics of the design. While the Bar and Plate carries more volume it does not flow through as well again by shear physics of th design.

Tube and Fin= lighter cores Bar and plate= heavier cores

These are the Pro’s and Cons.... but wait....

Devolopment in Tube and Fin core design has not stopped. When Name begins with W wrote those papers extruded Tube and Fin( much stronger) barely existed and now recently developed Square Tube extruded Tube and fin has been developed.
Now we have some pretty cool stuff going on. This ultilizes some concepts from Bar and Plate and Tube and fin combined. More space for cooling fins due to sqaure Tube, still great flow through and air pass because its still essentially a Tube and fin.
This design has only been around a few years but already tuning companies are getting into it.

I should add that regardless of whatever any tuner tells you there is a reason that Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, and pretty much all Supercar and Sports car manufactures go with Tube and fin over Bar and Plate and it is because they feel they get superior overall performance out of Tube and Fin.

These are just the facts I have uncovered and learned while researching intercoolers and I come from the Turbocharged Nissan 4 and 6 cylinder world( SR’s CA’s RB’s) . I am not new to this.

If you don’t agree with my research great go Bar and Plate. Fact is in a lot of applications Bar and Plate will work ok to fine not great though.
If you are sticklier for excellnce and performance to the Nth degree then you might take heed. Lol

Pumaspeed being a company that makes these for our cars ( R Sport Pro 300) . They tested it against their Garrett core stage 3 cooler and got better flow through and equal performance overall. So much that they state it can be used on all their Turbo upgrade packages, x47r users this is you.
I'm sorry, I may be misunderstanding what this has to do with my post - I'm just saying I imagine the Nevlock intercooler core is the same bar and plate core as Cobb/Whoosh/Depo etc, made by a company called MTC.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I'm sorry, I may be misunderstanding what this has to do with my post - I'm just saying I imagine the Nevlock intercooler core is the same bar and plate core as Cobb/Whoosh/Depo etc, made by a company called MTC.
My bad I mistaked Mountune for MTC . I delted the post but I do suggest rethinking Bar and Plate intercoolers they are not as great as some make them out to be IMO.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
No need, it's still good info! I just wanted to make sure I understood correctly. :)
Oh ok..... edit version below

This is a small Bar and Plate intercooler personallyI think their are better options.

Bar and Plate VS various types of Tube and Fin

There is a lot of debate about this and a person that I won’t name who possibly worked for a Bar and Plate company wrote several papers on why Bar and Plate was superior.
Yet he did not look at all the science. Plus their have been advances since he wrote those papars back in. 2003.
The two most often and easily seen of these so called adavantages are . Larger mass area in the same size with Bar and Plate due to being able to pack more cooling fins into the same area. The other one that was touted wa sturdiness by design.

Now a few things need to be dispelled here. First off the man was comparing then new Bar and Plate designs From both Spearco( considered to be the father company of Bar and Plate and Garrett( who makes both types)).
In this comparision he compared modern Bar and and Plate ( circa 2003) to old design tube and fin. In those comparisons yes Bar and Plate seemed better.
They used the original design of tube and fin as an example why the coolers were weaker. Which was true.

There is one Caveat that give Tube and Fin a couple of interesting and cool features that Bar and Plate fail at.
One is because of spacing air passes through them better. This means while a charge temp may rise quicker it will fall quicker as well, VS Bar and Plate which while the charge temp will rise slower it will fall a lot slower. Essentially meaning more downtime waiting for the core to cool down. Which means the core gets hot it stays hot and your out of the game till it cools.

The other is the fact that charge air inherently flows through better with a Tube and Fin design by shear physics of the design. While the Bar and Plate carries more volume it does not flow through as well again by shear physics of th design.

Tube and Fin= lighter cores Bar and plate= heavier cores

These are the Pro’s and Cons.... but wait....

Devolopment in Tube and Fin core design has not stopped. When Name begins with W wrote those papers extruded Tube and Fin( much stronger) barely existed and now recently developed Square Tube extruded Tube and fin has been developed.
Now we have some pretty cool stuff going on. This ultilizes some concepts from Bar and Plate and Tube and fin combined. More space for cooling fins due to sqaure Tube, still great flow through and air pass because its still essentially a Tube and fin.
This design has only been around a few years but already tuning companies are getting into it.

I should add that regardless of whatever any tuner tells you there is a reason that Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, and pretty much all Supercar and Sports car manufactures go with Tube and fin over Bar and Plate and it is because they feel they get superior overall performance out of Tube and Fin.

These are just the facts I have uncovered and learned while researching intercoolers and I come from the Turbocharged Nissan 4 and 6 cylinder world( SR’s CA’s RB’s) . I am not new to this.

If you don’t agree with my research great go Bar and Plate. Fact is in a lot of applications Bar and Plate will work ok to fine not great though.
If you are sticklier for excellnce and performance to the Nth degree then you might take heed. Lol

Pumaspeed being a company that makes these for our cars ( R Sport Pro 300) . They tested it against their Garrett core stage 3 cooler and got better flow through and equal performance overall. So much that they state it can be used on all their Turbo upgrade packages, x47r users this is you.

I have an R-Sport Pro 300 on my car. It appears to be reasonably well made. I did have the MTC, but decided not to install it, mainly due to most of the points made above. Additionally, I didn't want to add the additional weight all the way out at the front of the car, especially since its only really supported by plastic brackets. The MTC was fairly heavy, stock was featherweight, the R-sport was somewhere in between. It's a compromise that I was willing to accept.

FWIW, I had a front mount bar and plate IC on one of my Subarus, and it definitely took a pounding. I'm a bit older now and don't really foresee myself bashing the fiesta through New England winter icebergs at 65 mph, so impact resistance has moved to a lower priority for my intended use.

The intercooler debate has been beaten to death by every group of forced induction enthusiasts. Each type has it's merits and disadvantages. Really it's like anything else, you should just decide what your goals are and spec your mods accordingly.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I have an R-Sport Pro 300 on my car. It appears to be reasonably well made. I did have the MTC, but decided not to install it, mainly due to most of the points made above. Additionally, I didn't want to add the additional weight all the way out at the front of the car, especially since its only really supported by plastic brackets. The MTC was fairly heavy, stock was featherweight, the R-sport was somewhere in between. It's a compromise that I was willing to accept.

FWIW, I had a front mount bar and plate IC on one of my Subarus, and it definitely took a pounding. I'm a bit older now and don't really foresee myself bashing the fiesta through New England winter icebergs at 65 mph, so impact resistance has moved to a lower priority for my intended use.

The intercooler debate has been beaten to death by every group of forced induction enthusiasts. Each type has it's merits and disadvantages. Really it's like anything else, you should just decide what your goals are and spec your mods accordingly.
Oh ya, definitely the debate has been beaten to death. Oh and yes my eyes are on the R Sport 300 as well. The minute I found it I was like yes this is how I would build an intercooler for our cars.
No doubt Bar and Plate can take a beating which i guess one could say they have their place for that.
Except most of the FiST Pro rally teams are running Tube and Fin. Lol

Oh and I am with you on the extra weight factor up front. Why mess up and fairly well sorted out blance with an extra 20 pounds ( random weight for emphasis )hanging off your front end. Lol

Last edited:
Oh ya, definitely the debate has been beaten to death. Oh and yes my eyes are on the R Sport 300 as well. The minute I found it I was like yes this is how I would build an intercooler for our cars.
No doubt Bar and Plate can take a beating which i guess one could say they have their place for that.
Except most of the FiST Pro rally teams are running Tube and Fin. Lol

Oh and I am with you on the extra weight factor up front. Why mess up and fairly well sorted out blance with an extra 20 pounds hanging off your front end. Lol
So now everyone on this forum are now rally drivers? 20lbs isnt crap on a car. Your 17 inch wheels are 22lbs a piece. Get over it.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So now everyone on this forum are now rally drivers? 20lbs isnt crap on a car. Your 17 inch wheels are 22lbs a piece. Get over it.
Talk about getting riled up. Lol get over yourself. Ya the intercoolers may not add 20lbs... but see there used to be a time on this forum before you were a member where people trying to shave weight off their cars was respected.
Now as to your comment about wheels ya the stock wheels do weigh a lot and fact is I do plan on replacing them with ligter wheels as well Something else that is or used to be respected on this forum.

Congratulations your attitude is exactly the kind of attitude that destroys quality on car forums.
You don’t know me, you don’t know my experience with cars you might know some of it if you bothered reading a little.
I suggest you pause before putting people on blast.