Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stay in gear when stopping?

iso100

1000 Post Club
The biggest benefit is that coasting while in gear triggers the ECM to lean the mixture up as high as 45:1 AFR. If you're in neutral and idling up to the stop it's at 14.5:1 or so.

Which do you imagine uses more fuel?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Your language shows your ignorance.

Enjoy your day bully!
You failing at reading comprehension betrays your lack of intelligence. Don't be a panzy; this is the internet. Pull your panties out, dust off the sand.

I've always downshifted, throttle blip happens out of racing habits.

I've had a 2010 Mazda 3 for 5 years now, just did a brake job last summer, after 140,000 kms.

2002 Subaru WRX, bought used at 225,000 kms, changed the clutch (original), as it was slipping when I bought it.

Clutch material is designed for wear, much like brakes. It will wear, it will need to be changed after time. It all depends on your driving style. Increased performance/High HP needs a stronger clutch to hold.

All that being said, if you downshift properly, you won't wear your clutch more then normal, I always say keep it in gear for safety.

All the other drivers are out there to kill you.

You failing at reading comprehension betrays your lack of intelligence. Don't be a panzy; this is the internet. Pull your panties out, dust off the sand.
I am gonna have to go with Hijinx. This thread is only 5 pages long and I believe he posted his explanation and reasoning on the 2nd page?
I actually went through the whole thread just to see what people were saying.

I am trying to learn to downshift better, but I just keep finding myself coasting while breaking and moving the gears down as I decrease speed while keeping the clutch engaged. It's just me learning where my gears need to be as I slow down. One thing I did recently to try and learn was follow a Miata a bit. He was all nice and decked out with a stanced vehicle and stuff. So I decided to follow him on my way home. At the stop light I was listening to his exhaust to see what he was doing and I would mimic to a degree. When he accelerated I also accelerated while I was behind him. was rather fun and it helps me learn about my vehicle more.

HaveBlue83

i ALWAYS downshift to a stop. always. always. I also don't blow trans or wear out clutches early. taught by my mother and father, and they do the same :)

OP
wrongwheeldrive
Thread Starter #46
Since starting this thread, I have been consciously keeping my FiST in gear while coming to a stop (and going into neutral around 15mph or so). I've seen my average mileage go up from 28 to 29.5. Now this clearly wasn't controlled scientific testing, but it's good to know the system works.

I am trying to learn to downshift better, but I just keep finding myself coasting while breaking and moving the gears down as I decrease speed while keeping the clutch engaged. It's just me learning where my gears need to be as I slow down. One thing I did recently to try and learn was follow a Miata a bit.
That is one way to learn, but knowing your car is the best way to know when to down shift. I'm typically downshifting my fist around 2k rpm. I usually let off the fast pedal early, and don't brake till I need to.

It all comes down to experience and comfort level.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Ok guys I've cleaned up this thread and removed all the negative reps and off-topic back and forth exchanges.

Ok, I read through this and I didn't see what I thought should be the next question. "After stopping (and at a red light) do you leave your foot down on the clutch or slip it into neutral and use standard brakes until you are ready to proceed when the light turns green?" I slip mine into neutral. This came from my old days and worrying about clutch wear.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Ok, I read through this and I didn't see what I thought should be the next question. "After stopping (and at a red light) do you leave your foot down on the clutch or slip it into neutral and use standard brakes until you are ready to proceed when the light turns green?" I slip mine into neutral. This came from my old days and worrying about clutch wear.
Serious question? If so, go to neutral, and take your foot off of the brake.

I think you mean "off the clutch" right?

But since I coast to the light... Assuming there is no traffic which is always the case here my car is already in neutral and using brakes only. I engage when the light changes...

Hijinx, don't get mad at me man...

Now what would be the proper thing to do at a stop light?

I just go to neutral and use the brakes.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
The proper thing would be to stay in first gear with the clutch in. This gives you the ability to quickly move if you're about to get rear-ended or need to move. Most motorcyclists stick to this religiously.

I have the tendency to drop into neutral and clutch out at my known long-lights, but I'll stay in gear for the shorter ones.

maxx

If you are going to downshift when coming to a stop rev matching is really the proper way to do it. Once stopped, foot on brake car in neutral and let off the clutch.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
If you are going to downshift when coming to a stop rev matching is really the proper way to do it. Once stopped, foot on brake car in neutral and let off the clutch.
I'm going to disagree with this entire post. We don't need to rev-match because the synchro's do that for us. It's one thing to do it while racing and working to not upset the balance of the car, but it's definitely not needed in normal daily driving. Stopped in neutral with your foot off the clutch can cost valuable time when you're about to be rear-ended.

So I'm picking up my MOFiST soon and it will be my first car with a manual transmission. I had a friend who would always take off from a stop in 2nd gear. He would only start from first gear if he needed to accelerate quickly, so 90% of the time he takes off in 2nd gear. Is this okay? Or should I always start in first and shift gears from there?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
As a beginner, my advice to you is to start in first. I don't feel like explaining why, other than experience.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
So I'm picking up my MOFiST soon and it will be my first car with a manual transmission. I had a friend who would always take off from a stop in 2nd gear. He would only start from first gear if he needed to accelerate quickly, so 90% of the time he takes off in 2nd gear. Is this okay? Or should I always start in first and shift gears from there?
Was he driving a full-size truck? Most trucks are geared so that first is very short and mainly for starting the vehicle movement with a load; second is generally the place many start off in without a load.
As a beginner, my advice to you is to start in first. I don't feel like explaining why, other than experience.
^ This. Cars are always designed to use first as the start in all scenarios.

Was he driving a full-size truck? Most trucks are geared so that first is very short and mainly for starting the vehicle movement with a load; second is generally the place many start off in without a load.

^ This. Cars are always designed to use first as the start in all scenarios.
Nope. He was driving a Scion TC (stock). Everyone in my family agreed with him so I figured it was normal to take off in 2nd gear. He also never downshifts. He just puts the car in neutral and coasts to a stop. I was just going to mimic him, but I guess I may need to reconsider. I appreciate anymore tips like these!

Ford Community Posts