Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have pulled and rolled using a Eastwood roller, loosing the front fenders allowed me to fit 225/45/15 Hoosier A6 on 15x9 wheels with -2 deg camber. Those tires are more like a 245 wide in reality.

Then I went to the rear and found I would have to do major surgery to fit them so I got some 225/45/15 Toyo RA1 tires that are more like a 230 wide and with modified rear axle and as much rolling as I can get done just get them to fit the rear.

The fronts ended up further out than needed so I just loosened the bolts and pushed the fenders back in a bit.

If I had 8" wide wheels in the right offset I could fit the 225(really like a 230, 15's front and rear without much work but a 225 slick needs 9" wide wheels to work the best, 205's need and 8" wheel.

These are shorter than stock tires by quite a bit as well.

17x8 +38 they only rub on nasty bumps and deeps if I don't slow down. And that is because of the bumper tab razorlab talked about

Boro

Who loves meaty tires? I love meaty tires [giggle]

I have never been a fan of "rubber" band tires. In the ideal world, I would have ran 15X7 RPF-1's on 205/55's...

but the Sparco's will have to do for now :) I have grown to like them more and more. Made by OZ, light weight, you can't go wrong for the price!

If you have some meaty tires love, throw them up here [raceflag]

May I ask what size and offset these wheels/tires are? I would very much like to get some thicker tires, as my streets are made out of potholes.

Do you have to get coilovers or something if you decrease wheel size? Like if I had some 15x7/42 with 205/55/15, stock suspension, would that just be silly looking? In my head I'm just imagining trading some of the wheel diameter for tire thickness, but I don't think it's quite as simple as I had hoped.

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #49
May I ask what size and offset these wheels/tires are? I would very much like to get some thicker tires, as my streets are made out of potholes.

Do you have to get coilovers or something if you decrease wheel size? Like if I had some 15x7/42 with 205/55/15, stock suspension, would that just be silly looking? In my head I'm just imagining trading some of the wheel diameter for tire thickness, but I don't think it's quite as simple as I had hoped.
205/60R15, I do not recommended this tire size as it increases the rolling diameter over stock, thus gearing down your car. Nice cushy ride, but not recommended!

This might be a dumb question, but I couldn't really find a definitive answer anywhere...

Is it advantageous performance-wise to go with a smaller/lighter rim and meatier tire? Or is it just comfort and/or looks? Because I swore if I changed wheels it would be function over fashion.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
The Lighter wheel will help the car preform better in acceleration and turning and braking. Some people think getting the tire square or the sidewall straight up to the tread with no pinch or buldge it helps the tires preform better and some people like the fat little tire look of a 215 on a 6.5 inch wide rim. I shaved off over 10 Lbs per wheel going to 15x8 with a 205/50/15 inch tire and still am very close to stock tire diameter. the more sidewall you have the more flex in the tire and the smoother the ride is the thought all I know is for proof of better tire preformance was a article in Grassrootsmotorsports magazine about fitting 8 and 9 inch wide wheels on a test car and getting lap times in the real world. They found the 225 tire worked best on a 9 inch rim and the 205 worked best on a 8 inch rim for quicker lap times. (the test car was a older track prepped civic done on the same day with the same driver)
Hope this helps

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I too like the meaty look and could also stand to benefit from something more substantial (I live in the mountains in NM, so snow/ice can be a problem 1/3rd of the year). My question is this, how much should I expect to get from selling my tires and wheels? I only have ~3,500 miles on the car and thus, the stock Potenzas as well. I'm also not the biggest fan of the stock wheels as I got the silver ones instead of the gray wheels. I don't live in a big enough market (Albuquerque) to have much faith that my local market will get me the most $$. Have any of you had luck selling on ebay?

The more money I can get for my stock tires/wheels, the nicer the meaty tire/wheel combo I can get.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

no-pistons

Rodmoe, just out of curiosity have you noticed any increase in mpg by dropping so much rotating weight?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Not off hand but the car just feels lighter and once tuned I was breaking both tires loose with ease :) and that may be why my milage showed little or no improvement but the smiles per gallon went up..

The Lighter wheel will help the car preform better in acceleration and turning and braking. Some people think getting the tire square or the sidewall straight up to the tread with no pinch or buldge it helps the tires preform better and some people like the fat little tire look of a 215 on a 6.5 inch wide rim. I shaved off over 10 Lbs per wheel going to 15x8 with a 205/50/15 inch tire and still am very close to stock tire diameter. the more sidewall you have the more flex in the tire and the smoother the ride is the thought all I know is for proof of better tire preformance was a article in Grassrootsmotorsports magazine about fitting 8 and 9 inch wide wheels on a test car and getting lap times in the real world. They found the 225 tire worked best on a 9 inch rim and the 205 worked best on a 8 inch rim for quicker lap times. (the test car was a older track prepped civic done on the same day with the same driver)
Hope this helps
I guess my question is... I know a smaller rim is lighter, but isn't the larger tire heavier? Since the tire weighs more than the rim.

Just randomly... the BFG g-Force Rival 205/50/15 is 20lbs. OZ Ultraleggeras in 15" are 12lbs. That's 32lbs per corner.
Stockers are what? 22lbs? OEM size Bridgestones are 19lbs. That's 41lbs per corner.

Ok. I see. Answered my own damn question. Carry on!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I guess my question is... I know a smaller rim is lighter, but isn't the larger tire heavier? Since the tire weighs more than the rim.

Just randomly... the BFG g-Force Rival 205/50/15 is 20lbs. OZ Ultraleggeras in 15" are 12lbs. That's 32lbs per corner.
Stockers are what? 22lbs? OEM size Bridgestones are 19lbs. That's 41lbs per corner.

Ok. I see. Answered my own damn question. Carry on!
Ya with TPMS which i did not use in my track tires my stockers were nearer 43 lbs and the track tires were 32lbs ish so it was about 10-11 lbs per corner weight savings..

Just thought I would ask if anyone knows if Team Dynamics have a Canadian Distributor?

I would also like to say I love airjor13's look for tires. Though the function is more important that the form and both of those qualities on this car beckon me to go with some 15" wheels.

I ran 16" Enkei J10's on my Focus SVT with some beefy tires and loved the feeling... just wish I could go a smaller than 18 on my Evo without getting a shitty offset.

Low-profile tires are over-rated for most cars as the benefits in cornering aren't going to be used on most of these cars. Most of us aren't going to deform our tires on Laguna Seca any time soon. The drag co-effecient of this car will slow you down before a thick tire will affect you on this car.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I am running 15x9, 4x100, roll formed meaning very strong, 12.8lb, $124 wheels with 225/45/15 RA1 track tires, I forget right now but I believe right around 31 lbs per corner. HUGE improvement in all things performance over the stock tires and wheels, not just more grip, stopping, starting, ride, keeping contact with the road, less stress on the suspension, etc.....they were a lot of work to fit so not many will go that route.

A good 15x8, as low weight but strong as you can afford, 205/50/15 or 55 series possibly, easy fit, save the weight like Rodmoe has done...

The GRM testing was done on a many times national championship car by a many times national championship driver, results at that level do not lie, not conjecture, not personal opinion, just plain simple facts:)

----------------------

I am running lower that stock weight 17x7 wheels (16.8lbs, $115 each) with Mich PS3 A/S for the street, I would run 16's but nothing yet fits my needs and the only 15's that fit over my 6 and 4 piston DIY BBKS are the 9's which are to wide for any tire I want to run as need ultra high performance all seasons. The PS3 tires will be my rain tires on track and they are as fast in the summer as many quality summer only tires so not much compromise there.

The new Miata went back to 4x100 in 16 and 17" sizes so I do expect to seem some very high quality roll formed, low weight, low cost wheels come out for it, 4x100 is a modest cost change that allows much more wheel choices which are going to get better.

I'm running 215/45/17 Michelin PSS tires on OZ superturismo lm wheels. Suspension is bilstein pss coilovers and the fronts rub on dips and bumps. I kinda want to get some opinions what to do because I can't raise the car up anymore. Go back to stock? Get a different suspension setup? I don't want to go back to a 40 series tire because of ride quality but like I daid I would like to hear some opinions and maybe someone has been in my situation already. Thanks in advance.