Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Who loves meaty tires? I love meaty tires [giggle]

I have never been a fan of "rubber" band tires. In the ideal world, I would have ran 15X7 RPF-1's on 205/55's...

but the Sparco's will have to do for now :) I have grown to like them more and more. Made by OZ, light weight, you can't go wrong for the price!

If you have some meaty tires love, throw them up here [raceflag]

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I love the look and I bet it's so much more comfy. I'm debating on going down to 16".

CanadianST

Looks really good! I'm still rocking the stock 40 series so can't post here haha. But I do have 215/60/14s on the rear of the Datsun, does that count? [;)]

C. love

I hope to go meaty in the other direction eventually. I want some 225-235 on 17x8 all around in a nice sticky tire (like nt-01 or something). Problem is getting the wheel fitment on point, which I WILL do lol.

I hope to go meaty in the other direction eventually. I want some 225-235 on 17x8 all around in a nice sticky tire (like nt-01 or something). Problem is getting the wheel fitment on point, which I WILL do lol.
My tires just came in for my 17x8 wheels. im running 235/40r17 on the federal rsr. Not as sticky as an r-comp like the nt-01 but should be sticky enough, ill post up pictures.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
My tires just came in for my 17x8 wheels. im running 235/40r17 on the federal rsr. Not as sticky as an r-comp like the nt-01 but should be sticky enough, ill post up pictures.

What offset are your 17x8? My 17x7 +42 with 215 Z2 starspecs barely clear my coilovers with -2.1 camber. I think you would need to go to at least a +38 for 225+ performance tires.

Of course, if you use upper camber plates then you gain back a bunch of tire to strut space for the same amount of negative camber, but that also brings on a bunch of other problems, specific to the FiST platform.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club

I have never been a fan of "rubber" band tires. In the ideal world, I would have ran 15X7 RPF-1's on 205/55's...

but the Sparco's will have to do for now :) I have grown to like them more and more. Made by OZ, light weight, you can't go wrong for the price!

You and I have very different definitions of meaty.

My definition of meaty is "widest" not necessarily tallest, I can't stand skinny tires on wide wheels. It's like "Why did you bother with a wider wheel at all???" Or worse, "Why in god's name have you decreased you contact patch??"

If I could, I would have 335-series tires on all four corners. Because I'm a goober like that. But I'll settle for 215 for now.

That said I am wider and taller at 215-45-17; much more comfortable than stock and now with ST Suspensions XTA coilovers (set a little higher) it glides. So smooth on pavement. It acts up when you hit BIGGER obstacles but most smaller divots and whatnot in the road are a non-issue.

What offset are your 17x8? My 17x7 +42 with 215 Z2 starspecs barely clear my coilovers with -2.1 camber. I think you would need to go to at least a +38 for 225+ performance tires.

Of course, if you use upper camber plates then you gain back a bunch of tire to strut space for the same amount of negative camber, but that also brings on a bunch of other problems, specific to the FiST platform.
The offset is +38 on stock suspension. i dont think it will rub on the inside of the coil. if it does then I will just have to put a 5mm spacer and roll my fenders. im pretty sure ill have to roll my fenders anyways so no big deal. i am going to mount the tires on tomorrow or friday and then its off to the track to see how much of a difference my times are with an inch wider wheel and wider tire. im expecting to destory my previous times

razorlab

1000 Post Club
The offset is +38 on stock suspension. i dont think it will rub on the inside of the coil. if it does then I will just have to put a 5mm spacer and roll my fenders. im pretty sure ill have to roll my fenders anyways so no big deal. i am going to mount the tires on tomorrow or friday and then its off to the track to see how much of a difference my times are with an inch wider wheel and wider tire. im expecting to destory my previous times
With stock camber you should be ok. It's once you start dialing in more negative camber via the lower strut mount that the clearance from tire to strut gets smaller.

Which 17x8 +38 are you using?

With stock camber you should be ok. It's once you start dialing in more negative camber via the lower strut mount that the clearance from tire to strut gets smaller.

Which 17x8 +38 are you using?
yeah. i had a lot of issues with -2 camber on my mr2 when i was running 17x9.
in the future i will be running around that amount of camber in the front but not until i go with a coilover.

i had team dynamics send me a set from the UK. (pro race 1.2) took about 2 months to come in, but should be a good track wheel. my plan was to order 17x9 and then do fender work to fit, but with a meaty tire i think i would run into too many issues with the inner fender.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
For sure keep me posted about the fitting. Would love to see how they look!

For sure keep me posted about the fitting. Would love to see how they look!
I will post some pictures of the car when i get them mounted and some of the car doing laps around porsches at these event. lol
will be my first track day on e30, wider wheels, and the eibach sway bars. should be fun

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Also remember that different tire manufacturers/models have different actual sizing measurements for a given 235/40 (example), so make sure you pull up all of the actual tire specifications for comparison. As an example, my 215/40 Federal 595-SS had very nearly the same tread width measurement as my 235/40 PS3's. The tire industry isn't very regulated and most consumers aren't aware.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Also remember that different tire manufacturers/models have different actual sizing measurements for a given 235/40 (example), so make sure you pull up all of the actual tire specifications for comparison. As an example, my 215/40 Federal 595-SS had very nearly the same tread width measurement as my 235/40 PS3's. The tire industry isn't very regulated and most consumers aren't aware.
Yup that's why I said "performance" tires. Since he is running the RSR. Also, wheel width changes tire width as well.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club

What size are those? Unless I missed you mentioned it in the thread somewhere...