Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TRACK RATS REJOICE! For the tire gods have answered our pleas. Two new tires are coming out in 225/45/15 this season. The new Hankook RS-4's and the new Rival S 1.5's. Should be a fun year, not sure which one I'm going to get yet.
Boo ya! Just mounted fresh RS-3s in the fall that only have some DD and 2 full days at VIR on them, so I'll have to wait a bit for RS-4s. BUT - am very happy about this!

Boo ya! Just mounted fresh RS-3s in the fall that only have some DD and 2 full days at VIR on them, so I'll have to wait a bit for RS-4s. BUT - am very happy about this!
Yeah, the interesting thing is going to be how the two compare. We'll have to keep an eye out for performance reviews. I'll pick up one of the two sets after some research and report back what I think.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Finally have something worth posting in this thread!
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 15x7 (powder coated Dye Cast Blue)
Yokohama Advan Neova Ad08R 205/50/15
Lowered on Bilstein B14s.

well done sir
[twothumb]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
TRACK RATS REJOICE! For the tire gods have answered our pleas. Two new tires are coming out in 225/45/15 this season. The new Hankook RS-4's and the new Rival S 1.5's. Should be a fun year, not sure which one I'm going to get yet.
Yes, they BOTH truly 'stepped up' and saved the day for users of that size! [thumb] [cool]

Now, IF they both would just release a 215/40-17 for us 17x8 street wheel users, I will sing their praises forever!! [wink]

LILIKE16ST

That is good to know I might try out those rs4 in 225/45 on my 15x8s whenever my bfg sc2 wear out. I don't track the car but still wouldn't mind seeing what grip they could offer on a daily driven FiST who likes to drive spiritedly in the twisties around VA :)

LILIKE16ST

I've never used those tires personally but coming from the mustang world they're both used often there and I've heard really good things about the conti extreme contact. With that being said if that is the size you're looking at you might wanna check around and find out about running used first because that will be significantly wider and taller than the stock tire and inhear those contis run wide for their size. At least on the larger mustang sizes they do. I would run at least an 8 inch wide wheel too for that size personally but it may just be a little too much for the FiST...

I've driven on the Conti DW's for 2 seasons, a couple AutoX's and a few track days. They are 95% as good as the PSS while being like 1/2 the cost. They don't have the total grip that the PSS's do, but they do well with heat, they let go progressively and they're literally the best summer tire in the wet you can buy. I'd highly recommend them for a street-only car.

Hey guys quick question, I have went through all the pages trying to find out info as I have never bough aftermarket wheels/tires for performance. I plan on going with the 16x7 TD 1.2's after I choose a color and planned on going with a 225/45/16 tire. After searching on tire rack I found the DIREZZA ZII STAR SPEC for 450 after the rebate for a set of 4. What can you guys tell me about these compared to some of the options in the 215/45/16 range such as the falkens or g force?

I live in Central Cali so no not concerned about snow or ice. I just want increased traction/acceleration with some ride confortness. I do know the bigger size will have a neg affect the turning radius by a little.

Lastly I dont think there was one in here, but I also have a set of rokblokz installed. Im pretty sure this size should not interfere/scrape against them, correct?

Thanks

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Most on here would say that the 225/45-16 star specs are WAY TOO wide for a 7" wide wheel, and being that the Star Specs tend to run the absolute WIDEST of most any street tire (200 tread wear+) in thread width, in ANY of the sizes Dunlop offers, they may be correct.

IF Dunlop made that tire in a 215/45-16 it would most likely have a substantially wider tread width than both the 615K (which run a little narrow on tread width), and the Rival S (which runs a hair narrower yet than the Falkens, but are also 2 lbs. lighter than the Falkens).

Many seem to think that the Rival S is MUCH stickier in compound than both the Star Spec, and the 615ks, and subsequently will probably wear much quicker than both of those tires, especially in the heat.

I was going to do the same exact setup as you are contemplating (even down to using the 225/45-16 Star Specs), but I wanted the wheel width to match the tread width, so I went with the 17x8 1.2s, and am planning on putting the 215/40-17 Star Specs on them instead, and YES, I am giving up some un-sprung/rotational weight savings to get the 'look' I want for the STREET.

IF I ever get dedicated pure track wheels, I will buy the lightest, widest 16" rollers that will fit, and that I can afford at the time. ;)

^^^Most on here would say that the 225/45-16 star specs are WAY TOO wide for a 7" wide wheel, and being that the Star Specs tend to run the absolute WIDEST of most any street tire (200 tread wear+) in thread width, in ANY of the sizes Dunlop offers, they may be correct.

IF Dunlop made that tire in a 215/45-16 it would most likely have a substantially wider tread width than both the 615K (which run a little narrow on tread width), and the Rival S (which runs a hair narrower yet than the Falkens, but are also 2 lbs. lighter than the Falkens).

Many seem to think that the Rival S is MUCH stickier in compound than both the Star Spec, and the 615ks, and subsequently will probably wear much quicker than both of those tires, especially in the heat.

I was going to do the same exact setup as you are contemplating (even down to using the 225/45-16 Star Specs), but I wanted the wheel width to match the tread width, so I went with the 17x8 1.2s, and am planning on putting the 215/40-17 Star Specs on them instead, and YES, I am giving up some un-sprung/rotational weight savings to get the 'look' I want for the STREET.

IF I ever get dedicated pure track wheels, I will buy the lightest, widest 16" rollers that will fit, and that I can afford at the time. ;)
Darn, time to rethink my setup then. Do you have pics posted of yours? I dont want to go down to 15 inches, I want to stay 16 or 17. Right now Might go with 17x7.5 as they have great tires at 225/45/17, although 215/45/17 seems wiser.I have no plans on changing stock suspension so rubbing is not an issue. I guess its just a matter of how much weight I want to save/how it will look.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Darn, time to rethink my setup then. Do you have pics posted of yours? I dont want to go down to 15 inches, I want to stay 16 or 17. Right now Might go with 17x7.5 as they have great tires at 225/45/17, although 215/45/17 seems wiser.I have no plans on changing stock suspension so rubbing is not an issue. I guess its just a matter of how much weight I want to save/how it will look.
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on some Conti's in 225/45/17 for use on my 7.5" wheels. The price is right for sure, check out tire rack for a smokin' deal on them.

EDIT - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW&partnum=245WR7ECDW&i1_Qty=4

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on some Conti's in 225/45/17 for use on my 7.5" wheels. The price is right for sure, check out tire rack for a smokin' deal on them.

EDIT - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW&partnum=245WR7ECDW&i1_Qty=4
Ooh that deal is definitely killer and although the 7.5 weigh a bit more than I would like that combo would look great. Will this setup go without any issues on stock suspension? What sort of effects will this have on gear rations, and performance in general?

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Ooh that deal is definitely killer and although the 7.5 weigh a bit more than I would like that combo would look great. Will this setup go without any issues on stock suspension? What sort of effects will this have on gear rations, and performance in general?
I've heard of it rubbing on lowered vehicles quite badly but can't find much to support that for stock spring height.

Gear ratio will be taller, but really, feeling the differences is minimal for me... I come from a 4x4 background with 35" tires so THOSE mess with your gearing.

I've heard of it rubbing on lowered vehicles quite badly but can't find much to support that for stock spring height.

Gear ratio will be taller, but really, feeling the differences is minimal for me... I come from a 4x4 background with 35" tires so THOSE mess with your gearing.
Hopefully someone else can chime in before going with it as I am sure those TD in 7.5 have an et+45 so I dont think it will be a problem, best to be safe it will clear.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I believe he mentioned the UK warehouse has to ship them, so it takes a couple months since they come in containers.
Yes, especially if you want a color that is/was out of stock for the "Square Deal" promotion/sale like I did (gloss black was GONE in my size).

So I now must wait until the container shows up in the spring. They are getting 200 tread wear donuts, which are useless in our winter weather (even DRY), so I was NOT going to put them on the car until then anyway.

The group buy, 16x7 RPF1 people have to wait almost that long as well, so I don't feel so bad. [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

I SO wish that SOMEONE would make a 200 tread wear STREET tire in 225/40-17, since @ 25" tall, the 45s will NOT work for me once I (properly) lower the car a little. [:(]