Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Onlinetires doesn't seem to sell the ultra and only the regular touring. There are two versions though (one rated H and one rated V) so I'm not sure if it's just not classified as such or what. I looked in your size and no touring tires available at the moment. Maybe they are out of stock? 195/55 are popular but I may switch to 185/60 next if I use lowering springs and stick with it. With stock springs I may increase aspect a notch to 195/60 or 185/65. We'll see.

But where did you buy yours? I'm not due for a change of tires yet as my Federals are still holding up quite nicely (after nearly 10k miles - just another plus for the Feds) but I'm considering and comparing at the moment for the future because not all models come in the sizes I'm looking for. The Feds are comfortable enough but I suspect it's more because of the aspect than the tire itself. Still, I have no complaints so far.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I picked up mine at Canadian tire. I ran 185/60/15 winters and they aren't wide enough for spirited driving. Slippery roads and boost was like having a drift button. I chooses the coopers because they are pretty wide for a 195.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I picked up mine at Canadian tire. I ran 185/60/15 winters and they aren't wide enough for spirited driving. Slippery roads and boost was like having a drift button. I chooses the coopers because they are pretty wide for a 195.
I don't doubt that the width can help but I think it depends more on the tire which is why I like a decent grip on mine (not to say yours don't have it)...but the ultras might not come in the size I'm looking for and I'm hesitant to use one of the "lesser" touring tires instead.

My current wheels are a little on the narrow side (6.5"), so I think a 185 could work. My current tires are Federals 195/55 SS595s which also come wide and bulge out a little bit with these wheels. I actually like it, but am curious about the difference if the sidewall were to fall a bit straighter (perhaps like yours) and the extra aspect should help make it ride even more smoother.

But I see your point and overall I'm still on the fence about it for much of the same reasons. Besides I haven't decided yet if I will lower the car or stick with stock height. If I lower it, I will most likely stay with the current tire size.

I don't doubt that the width can help but I think it depends more on the tire which is why I like a decent grip on mine (not to say yours don't have it)...but the ultras might not come in the size I'm looking for and I'm hesitant to use one of the "lesser" touring tires instead.

My current wheels are a little on the narrow side (6.5"), so I think a 185 could work. My current tires are Federals 195/55 SS595s which also come wide and bulge out a little bit with these wheels. I actually like it, but am curious about the difference if the sidewall were to fall a bit straighter (perhaps like yours) and the extra aspect should help make it ride even more smoother.

But I see your point and overall I'm still on the fence about it for much of the same reasons. Besides I haven't decided yet if I will lower the car or stick with stock height. If I lower it, I will most likely stay with the current tire size.

I hear you, I would have stuck with performance tires if the grand touring version was my only option. Have you looked on eBay?, I remember seeing a few sets for cheap when I was looking but shipping to Canada didn't make it worth my while. Happy shopping

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I hear you, I would have stuck with performance tires if the grand touring version was my only option. Have you looked on eBay?, I remember seeing a few sets for cheap when I was looking but shipping to Canada didn't make it worth my while. Happy shopping
Thanks ,I'm kind of in experimental mode now trying different setups to see which I like best.
I don't usually shop on ebay except as a last resort but I've seen these on other sites now. Was hoping to get them from onlinetires to save shipping and time but we'll see because I think that onlinetires only carry the cs3...at least in the sizes that I'm looking for. I may also try the Federal version since it is listed at a great price and had good reviews. Decisions, decisions, lol

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Looks great and a bit of stretch, an example of the wide difference in sidewall numbers and actual measurements, that is perfect stretch on an 8:)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
225/45R17 Mounted on Rota Recce 17x8 +40
Despite those being <50 profile, they DEFINITELY qualify as "meaty", and have enough side wall to help out the ride, and with the stretch that Rick mentioned do not give up much turn-in response at all to the sub 45 profile donuts out there.

IF I were never ever going to lower this car, even a little, I would put the same size on my 17x8 1.2s. ;)

BTW; those wheels are PERFECT in that color, on a blue FiST (besides being perfect style-wise)!! [twothumb]

This has been a great and informative thread. I've been so annoyed with the the roads here in my town, it's like we got carpet bombed and they decided to patch the holes with toothpaste. The factory wheels and tires are downright brutal on rough roads. Thanks to this thread, I've just pulled the trigger on a set of Grids in 16x7 +40 for my stock suspension ST. I'll probably go with the 205/50 option, as the 225/45 seem to cost a lot more.

A couple questions for you Grid users: Do I need to use hub spacer rings, and after market lug nuts? Also, do the factory tire pressure sensors transfer over? 34 and this is my first set of aftermarket wheels ever, lol. Thanks in advanced, and I'll post pics when they arrive.

This has been a great and informative thread. I've been so annoyed with the the roads here in my town, it's like we got carpet bombed and they decided to patch the holes with toothpaste. The factory wheels and tires are downright brutal on rough roads. Thanks to this thread, I've just pulled the trigger on a set of Grids in 16x7 +40 for my stock suspension ST. I'll probably go with the 205/50 option, as the 225/45 seem to cost a lot more.

A couple questions for you Grid users: Do I need to use hub spacer rings, and after market lug nuts? Also, do the factory tire pressure sensors transfer over? 34 and this is my first set of aftermarket wheels ever, lol. Thanks in advanced, and I'll post pics when they arrive.
You'll wanna use the hub rings, it'll help elimate any chance of wobble. You don't have to use aftermarket lugs - they will just look nicer. The factory ones are tapered. Factory tire sensors will work as well as they mount to the base of the valve stem.

You'll wanna use the hub rings, it'll help elimate any chance of wobble. You don't have to use aftermarket lugs - they will just look nicer. The factory ones are tapered. Factory tire sensors will work as well as they mount to the base of the valve stem.
Awesome, I'm order both the rings and lugs now.

I think I've settled on the Indy 500 as the tire I'm going with. The price-point for the 205/50 looks pretty unbeatable for daily and occasional canyon use. For those of you who've purchases them, how are you liking them?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This has been a great and informative thread. I've been so annoyed with the the roads here in my town, it's like we got carpet bombed and they decided to patch the holes with toothpaste.
That surprising to me, since I always pictured the roads in SoCal to be glass/billiard table top smooth and unbroken, UNLIKE here, the rest of the northeast, and the upper midwest. [dunno]

neeqness

1000 Post Club
That surprising to me, since I always pictured the roads in SoCal to be glass/billiard table top smooth and unbroken, UNLIKE here, the rest of the northeast, and the upper midwest. [dunno]
It's actually quite the opposite and one of my pet peeves here since we have some of the highest state and possibly local taxes in the country.

Although its rarely considered, California has it's farm and rural areas as well. It's the largest exporter of almonds and produces plenty of wine from local vineyards. Plenty of the local produce is provided locally except when it's out of season. If you are in the burbs further outside of LA, there are nicer roads though.

Back in the day you could tell a neighborhood by it's roads but now even places like Beverly Hills have potholes, lol. Amazing when you consider that there are states with consistently bad rain and bad weather that have much better roads...

I finished my project!

Hey Raamaudio, your running the BC racing coils with upgraded stiffer swift springs correct? Which spring rates are you finding to be the best? Im asking because my ST coils are only height adjustable, i've noticed they still have a ton of movement and kind of not as stiff as I would like to be running, not really worth putting swift springs on them and I'm looking for a new coiler altogether. After driving my car hard on this new setup the grip is phenomenal and the car drives amazing but it still has some slop in the suspension and rubs on large bumps or defects in the road surface.

Edit: I scrolled through to page 82 and found the answers I was looking for but I am open suggestions you may also have before placing an order.