Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The 225 RA1 and Rival S barely clear and that is running -1.9 camber from cutting and moving the axle flanges.
Is this exclusively because you had them mounted on 9" wide wheels, since everyone else and their great grand aunt on here who run those tires in a 225/45-15, on 15x8s seem to have NO problems, even when lowered to a 'proper' ride height for handling purposes? [???:)]

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Correct.

I wanted the wider wheel due to testing by a many times national champ racer showing the tire was much faster on a 9 than an 8 and I wanted more camber to match the changes up front to keep the overall balance front to rear as the stock rear has very little camber.

Another benefit is having better turn in response and feedback, on this particular tire more than some others due to having a relatively soft sidewall.

The wider wheel actually increased the useful tread width on the ground by over .25", might be more like 3/8".

It was the challenge of putting 9" wheels on the car without flares, I have done so many builds not much is a challenge any longer, it was very rewarding to make it work out:)

I would have to look at each tires exact specs but there is likely no 225 I would run on an 8" wide wheel, I would run 215 if it worked out but most choices would be limited to 205 for the best sidewall support.

Those wanted smaller diameter wheels to save weight, etc, can save a bit more and maintain some of the stock turn in response and feedback sticking to a bit narrower tire than the 225's.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have not compared the current crop of tires which several are now upgraded but the 225/45/15 Rival S I run are damn quite for such a tire.

They ride great as well.

The new model called the 1.5 has stiffer sidewalls so it will work better on an 8" rim now but I would still put them on a 9" if I could.

Testing on Tirerack of the latest and greatest sticky tires will show the attributes of the latest generation (most of them at least) will also talk about road noise, ride, wear during testing, etc....GMR will have some testing I am sure as well and feedback from top autocrossers or track guys running summer only tires will also help sort out the best choices.

What I like about the Rival S, new ones have same tread compound, is they are always "on" if the weather is warm enough they have huge grip all the time but they also can overheat easily on a road race track. Big turbo cars, street driven but want to shoot an on ramp, few miles on a twisty mountain road, they are pretty amazing.

They also hook up really well, when I had the EFR turbo it hit really hard at 4500 RPM, had to hang on and correct for torque steer but did not spin in second gear, into third, etc...a bit hard to launch quick in 1st but I seldom do that so not a big deal, only drag slicks are good for that but pedaled carefully it got up and moving very well.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The wider wheel actually increased the useful tread width on the ground by over .25", might be more like 3/8".

Does this hold true in general regardless of tire used, as to making the actual tread width wider using a wider wheel than the "measuring wheel width" cited in the TR/others' dimension charts??

I/E.; IF a 215/40-17 tire is quoted as being 8.0" wide in tread width when measured on a 7.0" or 7.5" wide wheel, it WILL BE up to .25" wider in tread width when mounted on an 8.0" wide wheel? [dunno]

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have never seen enough evidence to support that as a consistent result, it probably depends on the shoulder profile, squared versus rounded off, etc...but I have seen it published on specific setups a few times over the years. T

I was planning on using ONE of the many 595s in that size, but a few on here are claiming that they HOWL/SCREAM at you on the highway, WORSE than a completely shot wheel bearing, and are not as grippy (in reality) as their 140-240 tread wear ratings would suggest?? [???:)]

Which model 595 do you have, and just how 'unbearable' are they at highway speeds?

It is basically between these, and the 2-3 times the cost (and just as quick wearing), co-widest tread width in this size, Dunlop Star Specs, which, I am told, are NOT all that silent on the highway EITHER. [:(]
I am using the 595 EVO in that size and they are much quieter then the economy brand tires the dealer put on when my car was being sold CPO. The ride is nice and on the highway they were quiet enough that we didn't even notice until about 50 miles in when something just felt like it was missing. Doing like 40 on the back roads with all the windows down they are a smidge loud but wind noise quickly takes over. I just got out on the canyons and they stick, I wasn't going wild but they never got towards the edge of their limits even in the water. I can't comment as to how they compare to the Pilots but I am loving them.

Here is some editing to make the tires stand out, its cloudy.

Without any editing.

And a close up of the dirt.

LILIKE16ST

On a 7.5 inch wheel I'd stick with a 205 myself but if you want wide I'd just go with a wide 215/40 if lowered and 215/45 if not that is if you don't mind the tire being 1+ inch taller overall than stock.

I have the 195/55/15 bfg sport comp 2 on my 15x8 and the slight stretch is good for turn in I didn't notice hardly any if any turn in loss from stock wheels and the 205/40 Michelin as3 that came on the car stock. They do seem very wide for a 195 ecspecially on an 8 inch wheel they appear wider than my stock 205 did. The setup is awesome if I decide to try stickier next time I think I'm going with 205/50/15 star specs I've heard good things about them they're not too awful expensive and they're only 19 lbs which would save me 2 more per corner over the bfg. I am loving these 15s though so glad I went with them everything is better than stock even looks imo lol. Looks very mean and no nonesense and down to business and aggressive. I just put them back on for the first time since November so I fell in love all over again lol.

So to run a 17x9 like I'm after flares are a must I'd what I'm understanding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thanks to bodytech I did a little searching and found the Japanese Racing in 16x8, 4x108, +25 offset which could be a fitment issue and not the best for the geometry, do not know the weight, etc....
If somebody wanted to research this, they are well made, low enough in weight, can be found in +35-40 or so offset it could be the perfect wheel for many as likely fit over the 12.19" BBKs, etc.....

Though I am setup as far as wheels go I wanted and have looked for a really good set of 16x8 wheels for a long time to help others obtain them just to help my fellow enthusiasts out.

Perhaps a GB could be setup on them.

Link to where I found the 16x8, they have a few styles and colors.

https://www.performancealloys.com/technicalsearchresults.aspx?Size=16x8,16x8&PCD=4x108,4x108&l1=Optional&o11=25&o12=45&w11=Optional&w12=9&l2=Optional&o21=25&o22=45&w21=Optional&w22=9&mi=Optional&EH=Optional&C=Optional&mo=Optional[/URL]

LILIKE16ST

The dude at 1552 is running that blacked out FiST with the carbon fiber lips and flares with the 17x9 tarmacs running 245s and it looks plain bad ass lolz. I'm not a huge fan of the tarmacs don't love the style but they're ok they're expensive and weight is a little too high for my liking. But his setup does look dope for sure. Very aggressive. I'm loving that carbon fiber front splitter they have im thinking about going with it it's pricey but the best looking one imo. I probably won't go with the rocker extensions they're very pricey but I would love to have the whole setup with the flares and switch to 4x100 and run some 15x10s or something all around that's would be sweet lol. But I'll probably just stick with my 15x8 setup lower the car an inch or so and add that 1552 carbon fiber front lip and their ducktail rear spoiler extension and a carbon fiber hood and call the exterior done.

Thanks to bodytech I did a little searching and found the Japanese Racing in 16x8, 4x108, +25 offset which could be a fitment issue and not the best for the geometry, do not know the weight, etc....
If somebody wanted to research this, they are well made, low enough in weight, can be found in +35-40 or so offset it could be the perfect wheel for many as likely fit over the 12.19" BBKs, etc.....

Though I am setup as far as wheels go I wanted and have looked for a really good set of 16x8 wheels for a long time to help others obtain them just to help my fellow enthusiasts out.

https://www.performancealloys.com/technicalsearchresults.aspx?Size=16x8,16x8&PCD=4x108,4x108&l1=Optional&o11=25&o12=45&w11=Optional&w12=9&l2=Optional&o21=25&o22=45&w21=Optional&w22=9&mi=Optional&EH=Optional&C=Optional&mo=Optional[/URL]
I picked mine up from https://www.driftworks.com they were easy to communicate with and decent shipping costs

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

Yes, the offset, and dual PCD drilling would be the only thing to keep me from buying those in black, in the future. [:(]

But GREAT find Rick!! [thumb]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The dude at 1552 is running that blacked out FiST with the carbon fiber lips and flares with the 17x9 tarmacs running 245s and it looks plain bad ass lolz. I'm not a huge fan of the tarmacs don't love the style but they're ok they're expensive and weight is a little too high for my liking. But his setup does look dope for sure. Very aggressive. I'm loving that carbon fiber front splitter they have im thinking about going with it it's pricey but the best looking one imo. I probably won't go with the rocker extensions they're very pricey but I would love to have the whole setup with the flares and switch to 4x100 and run some 15x10s or something all around that's would be sweet lol. But I'll probably just stick with my 15x8 setup lower the car an inch or so and add that 1552 carbon fiber front lip and their ducktail rear spoiler extension and a carbon fiber hood and call the exterior done.
The only thing I don't like about that car is the 'deep dish' of those Tarmacs, as I cannot stand the deep dish look on these cars, [nono] but maybe it was necessary in order to fit those wheels in 17x9s with 245s on them? [dunno]

Otherwise, it is outright EVIL looking!! [thumb]

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
We each can sure have different preferences:)

I like dual drilling or at least extra holes, less weight!
I like concave as well, deeper the better as long as strong, and light weight:):)

Most 9 and wider wheels have some dish to them, some more than others, offset can have a lot to deal with that as well.

I do like the spokes to come out to the edge of the rim lips for added strength even on the deepest concave wheels.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am using the 595 EVO in that size and they are much quieter then the economy brand tires the dealer put on when my car was being sold CPO. The ride is nice and on the highway they were quiet enough that we didn't even notice until about 50 miles in when something just felt like it was missing. Doing like 40 on the back roads with all the windows down they are a smidge loud but wind noise quickly takes over. I just got out on the canyons and they stick, I wasn't going wild but they never got towards the edge of their limits even in the water. I can't comment as to how they compare to the Pilots but I am loving them.

Here is some editing to make the tires stand out, its cloudy.

Without any editing.

And a close up of the dirt.
THANKS!! [twothumb]

I may just go with those initially, as one cannot beat the price! (And they have to be quieter on the highway than the RS-Rs/RS-RRs with their 'blockier'/much more slick tread patterns, as well as possibly the Star Specs with their also road race type, 'cut slick' tread pattern.) [:)]

IF I never, ever planned on lowering this car at all, I would try the PSS in 215/45-17, despite their cost (but they do tend to last forever!).

For 300 bucks shipped I am happy with them especially once I fixed the air pressure, the shop left them at about 45 all around. One of my friends is on 205/45/-17 PSS and lowered a little, its not exactly the same thing but he only rubbed on hard cornering at autox.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Those things are tall enough to fill the wheel wells even at stock height! [thumb]

I usually do not like silver/bright wheels on Magnetic FiSTs, but those look GREAT (as all 1.2s do on our cars). [cool]

Save for the tread pattern, that setup looks like it's ready to take on rough gravel stages! [:)]

^^^Those things are tall enough to fill the wheel wells even at stock height! [thumb]

I usually do not like silver/bright wheels on Magnetic FiSTs, but those look GREAT (as all 1.2s do on our cars). [cool]

Save for the tread pattern, that setup looks like it's ready to take on rough gravel stages! [:)]
Thanks!! I'm really happy with the way they sit on the car,even at stock height. I've always been a fan of black/darker wheels but decided I wanted to see the details in the TD 1.2 wheel since I find it purdy lol so went with the bright silver to change it up. Car feels great so far(only a few miles on new setup. Can't wait to take it down some twistys, it just feels so solid on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk