Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

One last raincheck before I sell my 205/50/15's for 225/45/15's, can anyone cite or say yourself if someone is running this setup on a lowered car without issue (rubbing)

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
One last raincheck before I sell my 205/50/15's for 225/45/15's, can anyone cite or say yourself if someone is running this setup on a lowered car without issue (rubbing)
I run 225/45R15 NT01s on my car with bilstien coil overs and 15x8 TD 1.2 wheels. I run the coils in the full up position in front and I do have occasional rubbing on hard turns. My fenders have been rolled and pulled as well. It takes quite a bit of clearancing to make these tires for under stock fenders

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Which tire?
Actual tire specs are very important here as there is a huge difference in side wall markings and actual section and tread width on many tires.
Are you looking for a wider look or more grip?
Sometimes wider will yield less lateral grip but more forward grip will be obtained, into handling or drag racing?

Which tire?
Actual tire specs are very important here as there is a huge difference in side wall markings and actual section and tread width on many tires.
Are you looking for a wider look or more grip?
Sometimes wider will yield less lateral grip but more forward grip will be obtained, into handling or drag racing?
Looking at the Rival S 1.5's. I'm looking for a more aggressive, faster tire. I would like to hook second with my X37, I only AutoX (non-competitively) but I can guarantee 225/45/15 Rival S's on an 8 inch wheel would be faster than old Star Specs in 205/50/15 on the same wheel on most courses anyways.

Also thanks for the update [MENTION=2054]Perfblue15[/MENTION] Can anyone else check in and give their two cents? I've already found someone who will buy my Star Specs so it's only a $150 dollar loss but I don't want to roll or pull my fenders to avoid rubbing. Currently there is zero rubbing on my current setup with damping set to 12F/11R from soft.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
i wish I could help on the rubbing issue but my fenders have been rolled and pulled, camber change front and rear, etc...since I had 293 miles on the car and only 5 miles by me.

Normally I would not recommend the Rival S in 225 on an 8 as it was proven much faster on a 9 but the 1.5 should mitigate that issue and work better now, time will tell as more are used that way but it seems to be a decent way to go:)

I have the 225 S's on 9's, not 1.5's, they hook incredibly well, when I had the EFR which was laggy then hit hard at 4500 RPM my car did not spin the tires in second gear but I had to hang on and do serious steering correction, the new version should really hook up well though a softer sidewall is usually better, look at drag tires!

[MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION] Thanks for the help so far. No doubt 225's are much faster on a 9 inch than an 8, but the problem is for those on stock fenders is we pretty much just have the 205 options and then only RS4's and Rival S 1.5's in 225. So in order to increase grip over the Star specs, I need to jump to a 225 or RE71R's in 205/50/15. So idk, I certainly don't want to make the jump and then have rubbing issues. It's also worth noting I run -2.1 front camber so a bit more than stock.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I fully understand and as mentioned the 1.5 in 225 might work out pretty well due to the stiffer sidewall change so I hope to hear good things so I can recommend them on 8's:)

For autocross the wider tire is usually faster so the 1.5 in that size on an 8 is likely the best way to go, not sure about the RS4, it might be great as well.

Most of the RE71's have a fairly narrow tread width so you may want to check the specs if you are considering going that way.

Got my 16" Sport Edition P5s, (7.5" wide) with Firestone Indy 500 Wide Ovals in 205/45 mounted up this weekend after new pads and rotors. I love the combo of lighter weight and wider wheel. I guess I could've gone 215s, but the car is still super fun and tossable. Ride quality is immediately improved.

I run 225/45R15 NT01s on my car with bilstien coil overs and 15x8 TD 1.2 wheels.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
What's the clearance like in the front and rear on the strut/shock? Wondering if a higher offset would be helpful, or if it's even possible to run a higher offset. How close is the edge of the rim or tire next to the spring adjustor/spring/strut? Does the spring perch clear the tire or does it sit next to it?

Edit: Just did a backspacing measurement. Looks like stock 7" x et47.5. offset is 5.87" of backspacing. So 5.87" from the edge of rim to mounting point. 8" et35 is 5.88" of backsapcing, so I guess I could look at the stock wheel and see if there's any room to move inward but I'm still curious.

Felt so good putting away the winter tires today. 15x7 +35 195/55/15 CS5 ultra touring tires couldn't be happier with the set up

Meat meat meat!!

LILIKE16ST

Felt so good putting away the winter tires today. 15x7 +35 195/55/15 CS5 ultra touring tires couldn't be happier with the set up

Meat meat meat!!
Boy you ain't kidding I ditched my stock wheels and AS tires for my Summer setup in my sig (195/55/15 bfg sport comp 2 on 15x8 pro race 1.2s) and man does it feel good all he way around by comparison. Mpg has climbed a little it rides much better and also brakes accelerates and handles better to boot and feels a lot better as well. I love the taller sidewalls on smaller wheels it just looks the part on this car lol. I cannot wait to get the swift r spec springs for the car should be a nasty combo for spirited mountain road runs (we got plenty of those to choose from around here lol)

Nice setup I like that. Is that race red or molten orange? Hard to tell from my phone sometimes colors don't look right lol

What's the clearance like in the front and rear on the strut/shock?
I remembered there are a few 17x8 4x108 options like the Rota grid and rota titan. Looks like you can run those without spacers, those are 17x8 et40, which is 6.07" of backspacing, so there's at least an extra .2" at least that you could move a pro 1.2 inward, maybe more. 10MM is .4", So that could be an extra 10mm of tire you could fit without rubbing if the pro 1.2 had a better offset, all other things equal like camber. Probably more reason to just suck it up and convert to 4x100.

Waterfan

You are correct, the BFG SC II will last a great deal longer and it will be far better in the rain.
Relevant data point: My 205/45-16 BFG SC2's are nearly ready for replacement after 12k miles (not quite at the wear bars, but can feel a slight loss of total grip. 60/30/10%, hwy/streets/canyons. Best grip, for me, found at 39front/36rear)

Compare/Contrast
-Significantly more ride comfort than OEM 17
-Noticeable loss of steering response but no less precise
-More grip than OEM 17's with 17k miles (apples to zebras)
-Excellent dry and wet grip
-Noisier than OEM (that means it grips harder, right? :)
-Dirt cheap ($85 per)
-Not light/not heavy (21lbs)

Going to get Indy 500s for my next set. Not because the BFG SC2 are not a great value, but it's fun to try something new. Also, 500s are same price, lighter and great (better?) reviews.

EDIT: mounted on 16x7 Maxxim Winner

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Relevant data point: My 205/45-16 BFG SC2's are nearly ready for replacement after 12k miles (not quite at the wear bars, but can feel a slight loss of total grip. 60/30/10%, hwy/streets/canyons. Best grip, for me, found at 39front/36rear)

Compare/Contrast
-Significantly more ride comfort than OEM 17
-Noticeable loss of steering response but no less precise
-More grip than OEM 17's with 17k miles (apples to zebras)
-Excellent dry and wet grip
-Noisier than OEM (that means it grips harder, right? :)
-Dirt cheap ($85 per)
-Not light/not heavy (21lbs)

Going to get Indy 500s for my next set. Not because the BFG SC2 are not a great value, but it's fun to try something new. Also, 500s are same price, lighter and great (better?) reviews.

EDIT: mounted on 16x7 Maxxim Winner
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts once you get the I500's, our setups will be the exact same, again:)

Sent from my CIA monitored device

neeqness

1000 Post Club

Meat meat meat!!
What are the CS5 tires? How would you compare their grip compared to your last tires or stock.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring Tire - allseason ultra touring tire with 80,000 km tread warranty for a daily driver it's perfect loads of grip and firm sidewall I don't miss my stock summer UHP at all. they are a wider 195/55/15 measuring 7.9 inches stock 205's measured 8.1 inches super quiet, comfy ride, lighter, better braking & acceleration (smoother). This article helped me make my choice have a look http://www.motortrend.com/news/cooper-tire-cs5-tire-review/

I decided to go for the longevity instead of the popular sport comp 2's I really couldn't be happier with these tires. I'd still be happy if I only get half the treadwear warranty out of them.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring Tire - allseason ultra touring tire with 80,000 km tread warranty for a daily driver it's perfect loads of grip and firm sidewall I don't miss my stock summer UHP at all. they are a wider 195/55/15 measuring 7.9 inches stock 205's measured 8.1 inches super quiet, comfy ride, lighter, better braking & acceleration (smoother). This article helped me make my choice have a look http://www.motortrend.com/news/cooper-tire-cs5-tire-review/

I decided to go for the longevity instead of the popular sport comp 2's I really couldn't be happier with these tires. I'd still be happy if I only get half the treadwear warranty out of them.
Interesting. With the driving that I do I have been considering a touring tire but was concernded whether they would have enough grip to satisfy me. I don't race or anything but I don't really want a chirpy tire either.

I also like a tire thats quiet (which ruled out the bfg for me) and with at least a decent ride. I'll look into these. If the price is reasonable I may consider them...

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Hmmm...while researching this tire, I stumbled upon the Federal ss657. Also a touring style tire with good reviews. Not sure if it can compete against the cooper but I couldn't really find many reviews for the cooper and the federals had higher ratings. People said they had good grip but they didn't seem to be sport car types so I don't know...

It seems to be difficult to compare UHP tires to touring or grand touring tires...

I drive a mix of highway/back country roads with plenty of hairpin & chicanes to and from work daily I have yet to hit the limits of these tires (I'm completely stock btw). I would classify myself as a spirited driver. I'm days away from having our first child so these ultra touring tires fit the bill nicely.