Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CPE Intake gashes problems

Based

I’ve had my CPE intake on my 2016 for about 6 months. I just took it off to sell it, but I noticed that spots on the intake piping have been resting on the engine, metal to metal, and now there are two pretty deep gashes in the intake piping.

Has anyone else had this problem?

V_2

Sort of...

Mine was beating against the AC hard line in the back of the engine bay from engine movement, which left a nice dimple in the tube. Good thing I noticed before it rubbed through the AC line. Remedied by wrapping rubber hose around the AC line.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I’ve had my CPE intake on my 2016 for about 6 months. I just took it off to sell it, but I noticed that spots on the intake piping have been resting on the engine, metal to metal, and now there are two pretty deep gashes in the intake piping.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Can you post pictures?
Is this something that could have been prevented by adjusting the pipe during install or checking after install once driving for a few hundred miles? Or do you believe it's a design flaw? Either way lets see some pics, if you haven't contacted cp-e about this I can do that for you.

Just here to help...
-Ron

OP
B

Based

Thread Starter #4
https://imgur.com/gallery/G4QdQ

Those are the two gashes. They’re like a centimeter deep maybe. Probably half way through the piping wall.

I’m not really sure if I could have prevented it. The intake only goes on like one way.

And no I haven’t contacted CPE yet

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
My CPE intake has the engine plastic cover rubbing against it (wore thru the paint) and the hood prop holder rubbed against the intake box itself. Both solved by shaving / grinding away the offending bits to make room.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
https://imgur.com/gallery/G4QdQ

Those are the two gashes. They’re like a centimeter deep maybe. Probably half way through the piping wall.

I’m not really sure if I could have prevented it. The intake only goes on like one way.

And no I haven’t contacted CPE yet
the tube pictured has a silicone coupler at both ends which does allow for adjustment. So you are correct it goes on one way but does allow adjustment opportunity
I'd be curious if anyone else has pics of their intake installed without the tube hitting anything

OP
B

Based

Thread Starter #7
the tube pictured has a silicone coupler at both ends which does allow for adjustment. So you are correct it goes on one way but does allow adjustment opportunity
I'd be curious if anyone else has pics of their intake installed without the tube hitting anything
Alright. They should put that in their instructions. I’ll contact them later if I have time and I’ll let them know. I’m kind of mad that I can’t sell my intake anymore because it has these gashes, but lesson learned.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I had the same problem with the CP-E tube hitting as the photo Based posted and the the rubbing into the hard AC line as V_2. It wasn't worth the compromises in the long term, so out it went. Whatever adjusts can be made weren't good enough for me especially with the motor moving around during spirited drives.

here's a photo of the AC line behind the silicon elbow in the photo below the CP-E pipe was digging into, which has been covered with a split fuel hose that I ended up just leaving there. Note that I have ample clearance now with the RAMAIR crossover pipe and 3" elbow to the turbo [burnout]

Last edited:
Mine rubbed through the heat wrap and left a small gash along the straight area of the pipe, similar to the gash above OPs thumb in his picture. I saw it was bottoming out during the install and made every last effort to go back and readjust to get as much clearance I could get in this area, and where the pipe makes a 90 degree turn toward the turbo. The best I could do was 4mm which apparently is not enough. I have 40k miles on the intake. I don't think there's any adjustment left in the silicone coupler.

I cant see underneath the pipe to confirm if I have the second gash as shown in OPs picture.

No issue with the AC line on my car.

See pics for reference.

It's a pretty tight fit with the cpe intake. I had to adjust mine several times to get clearance. Mine also rattles on the cowl due to the x47 turbo elbow. Makes the crossover pipe sit a inch or so higher than stock.

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
I had the same problem with the CP-E tube hitting as the photo Based posted and the the rubbing into the hard AC line as V_2. It wasn't worth the compromises in the long term, so out it went. Whatever adjusts can be made weren't good enough for me especially with the motor moving around during spirited drives.

here's a photo of the AC line behind the silicon elbow in the photo below the CP-E pipe was digging into, which has been covered with a split fuel hose that I ended up just leaving there. Note that I have ample clearance now with the RAMAIR crossover pipe and 3" elbow to the turbo [burnout]

I have the exact same issue. And solved it with rubber hose as a band aid. It would be great to get a real fix

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
It's a pretty tight fit with the cpe intake. I had to adjust mine several times to get clearance. Mine also rattles on the cowl due to the x47 turbo elbow. Makes the crossover pipe sit a inch or so higher than stock.
[MENTION=1924]lytheum[/MENTION], I am going to be installing my x47 this weekend with my cpe intake. Can you think of anything that could be done to avoid the issue you mention? Isn't the crossover pipe bolted to the engine? Would a offset or different silicone coupler at the X47 outlet fix the issue? Thanks.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
[MENTION=1924]lytheum[/MENTION], I am going to be installing my x47 this weekend with my cpe intake. Can you think of anything that could be done to avoid the issue you mention? Isn't the crossover pipe bolted to the engine? Would a offset or different silicone coupler at the X47 outlet fix the issue? Thanks.
When I installed mine, I wedged a piece of plastic (as to not scar the powder coat) between the intake piece and the engine. I then tightened everything down which gave me 1/8” clearance. I don’t think they are making contact. I had no issue with the ac line though.. I have stock turbo FYI so not sure if this helps you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeff

2000 Post Club
I've installed mine twice, once on stock turbo and then second time on X47. It's tight in both cases but if you use plenty of silicone on the fittings you can keep all of them in constant adjustment until it's just right and then tighten them all down. By doing this I found the 2nd time around I was able to get much better clearance and not touch anything. There are a few gashes in mine from the first install but I think they're all a bit battered. Nothing too deep though.

Bottom line, it's expensive, it's big, it's blingy, it's loud, it has very tight clearance, but it does fit and it will keep your temps down that's for sure. Whether or not it actually provides more airflow mass than any other setup is still a question.

was this ever truly figured out or just "adjust it until it works" type solution? I just got part of my intake out to adjust a tab from cutting into my shifter cable cap- and notice I have a nice wear mark on my intake... i tried to readjust it putting it back on, but I still notice a few spots making contact with my engine- I might have to open it up a bit more and adjust everything from the turbo outwards. it seems like I have seated the crossover pipe too deep by the turbo causing a tight clearance around the rest of the intake... but it is also rubbing up against my ECU connector cover.. so I dont know if I have any room for "left to right" adjustments.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Ive got the same rubbing. It always falls to adjust it till is doesnt rub. Imo the 3" tube is WAY too big. And seeing as one end is on an engine that rocks while the other is stationary, its always going to find some way to move again and rub on that plate on the cylinder head. The early cobb unit had a big foam pad in that spot to "fix" the issue as well. While all of it looks impressive i will be going down to the 2.5" crossovers a silicon coupler and stock style airbox. I see the 500 bucks spent as a lesson learned the hard way.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
For me, I had to flip the 90ish degree elbow that connects to the airbox. One leg of it is longer than the other and I had to put the short leg on the box and the long leg on the pipe. This allowed me to move the pipe far enough to get some clearance. My pipe is paper thin from rubbing.