Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

In the shop for transmission issues rebuild over replacement?

I took my FiST into the dealer earlier this week due to a sound coming from the transmission that had me worried. Dropped it off Monday and later that day the service guy called me to say that it was definitely the trans, and it would be covered under warranty. He also said that I would most likely be getting a replacement transmission and would let me know once they got it taken apart. I finally got the call on Friday, and he informed me that "all the bearings are shot" but Ford has denied a straight up replacement and instead has told them they need to rebuild it. He said this is the second time he has had Ford do this to him, and he doesn't get it because the book time is like 10 hours on the rebuild and one of the parts is back ordered with no ETA. He then went on to talk about how it doesn't make sense because he could have a new transmission in 2 days and its a 5 hour job to swap it.

So now I am at the mercy of whenever this part shows up (he said it has seen it take 2 days or a month to get backordered parts), then who knows how long it will take to actually rebuild it. On top of that, I will have the worry about it being done correctly compared to just swapping in a new transmission. I have another car, but am in the process of selling it, and if that happens, am I entitled to a loaner/rental due to it being a warranty issue? the service guy was really nice and I didn't want to give him any crap, but it just seems strange to go the route of a rebuild over replacement, I don't see how it could make financial sense when you factor in the labor involved.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Wow. It doesn't make sense.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What noise? Is it when you're in 4th? A whining noise? Mine did it at 30k ....Ford said new transmission...no rebuild....will take too much time. I had a rental for 3 days abouts....it was free...if you're under 3 yrs or 36k...you will get a rental.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
J
Thread Starter #4
38k so im under the power train warranty now. The noise happened in any gear and was speed dependent. At around 30mph it would start whining and increase in pitch with speed. It was dependent on load also, if you took your foot off the gas or put in the clutch it would go away, but when you pressed the gas again the noise came back. at around 60 it got so high pitched i was afraid to go any faster.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
38k so im under the power train warranty now. The noise happened in any gear and was speed dependent. At around 30mph it would start whining and increase in pitch with speed. It was dependent on load also, if you took your foot off the gas or put in the clutch it would go away, but when you pressed the gas again the noise came back. at around 60 it got so high pitched i was afraid to go any faster.
You should be getting a new trans....

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Man that really sucks, had a high pitch whine develop when i had my FOST and they replaced it without even opening it up. The technitions hate this crap too! They either have a car sitting in a bay taking up space or have to rig something up to wheel it outside. Meanwhile they have a torn down trans sitting on the bench and have to throw it all back together whenever the parts show up. Haha sorry for the lil rant but its just dumb, I was at a Chevy dealer for 6 years and it happened all the time.

me32

1000 Post Club
I took my FiST into the dealer earlier this week due to a sound coming from the transmission that had me worried. Dropped it off Monday and later that day the service guy called me to say that it was definitely the trans, and it would be covered under warranty. He also said that I would most likely be getting a replacement transmission and would let me know once they got it taken apart. I finally got the call on Friday, and he informed me that "all the bearings are shot" but Ford has denied a straight up replacement and instead has told them they need to rebuild it. He said this is the second time he has had Ford do this to him, and he doesn't get it because the book time is like 10 hours on the rebuild and one of the parts is back ordered with no ETA. He then went on to talk about how it doesn't make sense because he could have a new transmission in 2 days and its a 5 hour job to swap it.

So now I am at the mercy of whenever this part shows up (he said it has seen it take 2 days or a month to get backordered parts), then who knows how long it will take to actually rebuild it. On top of that, I will have the worry about it being done correctly compared to just swapping in a new transmission. I have another car, but am in the process of selling it, and if that happens, am I entitled to a loaner/rental due to it being a warranty issue? the service guy was really nice and I didn't want to give him any crap, but it just seems strange to go the route of a rebuild over replacement, I don't see how it could make financial sense when you factor in the labor involved.
Make sure you get your rental now. If you tell the dealer you have another car they will try and not give you a rental. Doesnt matter how long it takes they have to provide a rental for the whole time.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah.

It's a hell of a lot more than just the bearings. You need a new tranny. Whatever ruined the bearings is just going to do it again.

Mine's smooth as silk, but a lot of these got replaced. Manufacturer defect. Ford knows it. You get a good one, you're fine. Bad ones implode and/or destroy clutches.

Replace it. Make them do the right thing.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Also Ford's work I believe comes with a 24 month 24k mile warrenty. So if its effed up again in that time frame they will have to fix it again.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
How will that help his situation?
Companies typically order from a single supplier. If it's on "back order" you're S.O.L.. You have the luxury of looking beyond their normal supply chain. Get a part number and search for yourself.

me32

1000 Post Club
Companies typically order from a single supplier. If it's on "back order" you're S.O.L.. You have the luxury of looking beyond their normal supply chain. Get a part number and search for yourself.
Its warrenty work. So if he supplies his own parts they might not install it. If they do choose to install it, it might not be warrantied. On top of that why would you want to spend your own money for warrenty work?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Its warrenty work. So if he supplies his own parts they might not install it. If they do choose to install it, it might not be warrantied. On top of that why would you want to spend your own money for warrenty work?
Tell me something I don't know. You mentioned that time was a priority. I provided you with another option. You either wait, or pay for it yourself. Your choice.

I should also add, you can bring that alternate source to their attention and offer it as an exception.

I would get the retail price for a new transmission and then add the cost of 5 hours of labor and sue them now in small claims court. That might get them to settle and replace the transmission. Their lawyers probably cost them between $600 and $1000 an hour.

me32

1000 Post Club
Tell me something I don't know. You mentioned that time was a priority. I provided you with another option. You either wait, or pay for it yourself. Your choice.

I should also add, you can bring that alternate source to their attention and offer it as an exception.
Wasnt sure you did know based on your answers. The options you provided arent bad. Just not optimal under warrenty work.

OP
J
Thread Starter #19
I sent an email to the dealership with my concerns about the whole situation, hopefully I can get the ball rolling on them just replacing it, I will go up the ladder from here depending on what I hear back. Thanks for all the input on your experiences with transmission issues, makes me feel justified in getting the trans replaced outright.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I would get the retail price for a new transmission and then add the cost of 5 hours of labor and sue them now in small claims court. That might get them to settle and replace the transmission. Their lawyers probably cost them between $600 and $1000 an hour.
Who is the "them" you are suing? What are you suing for? You have to show damages to file a suit. Not getting what you want is not grounds for a suit. Ford has not denied anyone any repairs. Also Ford has floors of Lawyers not making a ton of money to handle nuisance suits. And you can't sue the dealer....your warranty is with Ford not Joe Blow's Ford Dealership. Try talking to FORD, not the dealer. Ford really does want you to buy another Ford.

"Per the Manual

If you have questions or concerns, or are unsatisfied with the service you are receiving, follow these steps:
1. Contact your Sales Representative or Service Advisor at your selling or servicing authorized dealer.
2. If your inquiry or concern remains unresolved, contact the Sales Manager, Service Manager or Customer Relations Manager.
3. If you require assistance or clarification on Ford Motor Company policies, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center."

Some low tone talking and explaining the delays you are experiencing then asking for help may get you a new transmission. No judge can "make" a dealer do Ford warranty work free, the dealerships name is not on your warranty. You have a Ford Customer Relationship Center to try to reason with, I have had two contacts with them and both I was 100% happy with my Dealer issues. They may have no knowledge of any parts shortage and can get them expedited or simply get a new trans for you. Filing a suit can mean your car may sit for months and State lemon laws if applicable may not apply because you have filed a suit causing any repair delays.You can always get a lawyer after you try the right way to get help.