Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2JR ST Cooling System Mods

Trader history for joe@2j-racing (0)

Is 225* hot for this car? My previous car, a Mini Cooper S, had a normal operating temp of 225*.

Chuckable

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most FiSTs run around 205F. I had a Mini S too, and it averaged about 218F.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Before Joe announced his radiator I had already made many mods to aid in cooling.

Fully opened up grill
Bumper beam top section removed and filled to allow more air to hit the coolers directly.
Vertical support bar bored out
Horizontal crash sensor beam replaced with 1/2" sq tubing and mounts oil cooler.
Water to oil cooler disconnected
Setrab Oil cooler in grill area to the side so as much output as possible does not hit the radiator.
Mocal tstat sandwhich plate
Heat wrapped oil lines
ABS sheet molded to seal up all air possible forcing it into the coolers
Rear of fan shroud massively swiss cheesed.
Splitter and undertray with large duct at rear to blow air towards DP and draw more air out of engine bay.

Lots of work but here are the results, not a hot day but I expect it will work for those when the weather warms back up but I may still make a larger core radiator fit just to be sure.

17th and 18th at MMP, going all out, 25minutes pounding on the car as hard as I could on the outer course so lots of time under boost.

Modded stock turbo, 24.5 PSI max, I can make more but tuned it down as still sorting out the car.

My highest water temp was 202 no matter how hard I drove and the oil maxed out at 238 but only once, the rest of the time is was around 220, it was around 70 degrees out and very dry.

So, very little money spent as only had to buy the cooler, I had the rest of the parts, lots of time, great results.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
200F is target which the fan tables use as 100% duty cycle.

RAAMaudio, I think most of what is helping yours is opening up the bumper beam and replacing that big flat crash sensor bar.

Even in 55F morning weather my car hit 220F on track this last weekend.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Those are the two major points I agree but all the others added up to help.

The oil cooler also takes load off the radiator, it wanted to duct the outlet completely away from the radiator but that would of required notching the bumper more than I wanted to and having it close to the grill opening making it more vulnerable to damage if I wanted the best flow through it.

The next time I pull the bumper cover, to install a tow strap, I will look more into ducting it with ABS panels going close to the grill and then a back panel, change the angle of the cooler a bit, etc...to blow it all out into the fender area or as much as possible. Right now it has around 35% or so going there, the rest hits the AC unit.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Its got me stuffed why Ford did not engineer the front crash bar with slots in it. I blame the bean counters, it was probably going to cost a extra 10 bucks.

I would reconnect that heat exchanger Rick, you want that oil temps up to spec as quick as possible. With your winter temps it will run way to cold on the road.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The oil cooler has a Tstat so it actually warms up pretty quickly even when I have been in 30 degree weather but I had thought of hooking it back up for winter so I probably will though I have to buy a hose as cut one to make a fitting work to bypass it.

Any updates on the radiator 2JR?

I took my FiST to her first event here in Puerto Rico. Track temps are over 100F and humidity is probably at 80% as the track is right next to a beach. My car is 100% stock and needless to say it only took 2 laps until the car enganged limp mode and the AP (running stg0 map) showed temps getting to 240+ on the coolant and 260 on the oil. Had to drive one lap slow and another one fast after the first two fast laps all day.

I tried using higher octane fuel on the 2nd day and that helped me do at least 3 fast laps but still, cooling is the biggest issue for sure. I'm currently planning on installing your FMIC, COBB charge pipes and Intake and then adding an oil cooler setup and disconnecting the stock oil to water cooler and swiss cheesing the stock radiator shroud for now. I'll try to follow RAAMaudio's mod list a bit further if I have the time but I hav euntil December 6th to get all this done.

I'd me more than willing to be a test mule for the radiator as I don't think you'll find someone with as harsh track conditions as ours up in the states.

Izzy

What ever happened? Any updates? Originally from PR (hot) now in TX (hotter) so really interested in that radiator.

Use a floor vent form lowes or HD and rivet to the hood. Worked so well on my teams old chumpcar. Stock cooling system in 90degrees at VIR for 24hrs and no issues. Looks ugly hell but works. Just enough flow to create the negative pressure zone.