Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2JR ST Cooling System Mods

Trader history for joe@2j-racing (0)

What we've found during our time attack events is the stock ST cooling system is woefully inadequate. And I dont use that term lightly. Even several successive runs on the dyno will get the water temps pegged over 210. Our last event, the ambient was mid 80s and by lap 3 the ST broke 225 and never came down until idling in the pits. Drafting brought on the heat in under 2 laps and clean air didnt do much better to get it back down.

Two big issues exist. One, cheap and easy to remedy. The other will take some engineering and investment. The ST radiator is shrouded by a single fan on the right and flaps on the left. A vast majority of the air is trapped behind the shroud. We are going to switch to a 22amp, 265 watt, dual speed single high output (2100 cfm) derale 14" fan and nix the shroud. We'll incorporate the ford fan controller. The ONLY REASON to run a shroud is so that at speeds less than 15mph, the fan cools the entire radiator, not just the space it falls behind. With the derale, running without a shroud shouldnt be a problem.

WP_20140530_17_56_53_Pro.jpg

Second is the radiator. Its small, its thin and its just not supportive of the higher engine loads we are asking of the 1.6. 1" thick and 16" of core height. The problem with the radiator is it incorporates upper and lower plastic brackets that support the condenser. The brackets must flex to lock in the condenser which makes it harder to design a true aluminum radiator. Not saying it cant be done, just labor intensive. The radiator also has a bleed valve. We are working with Griffin to come up with a racing radiator, with twice the capacity, possibly with an integrated oil cooler. This would allow for a remote oil filter design.

Next race is father's day weekend and we'll have the new radiator and fan installed for testing.

WP_20140530_17_57_10_Pro.jpg
WP_20140530_17_57_10_Pro1.jpg

iso100

1000 Post Club
Good information! They must have gone for bumper to bumper traffic cooling efficiency over hard driving with the design of the shroud.

How much space is there between the shroud and radiator?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Good Stuff Joe I know others have worked on this too And mentioned the blockage of air flow. So if you are thinking Bigger Turbo (aka more Heat) and better cooling system maybe a needed option??

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Good insight Joe! Looking forward to seeing the results of the planned cooling improvements!

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
One of the things that stuck out to me is that the ST Octane Academy cars had been modified with oil coolers and larger radiators....

Very interested in what you do with these.

Keep up the good work, Joe :)

OP
joe@2j-racing
Thread Starter #7
We should have the radiator and FMIC back from Griffin by the middle of next week. This is going to be some really nice stuff for the ST.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
We should have the radiator and FMIC back from Griffin by the middle of next week. This is going to be some really nice stuff for the ST.
That's awesome Joe, are you guys using a double or triple bypass radiator? I am very much looking forward to seeing the FMIC!!! [twothumb]

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Just cruising in 92degree outdoor temp my coolant temp was 207...yikes.

ryst

Joe, In a thread a while ago (december) you said the Fiesta stood up to a ton of abuse and the temps never went above 202 even after 30 minutes of WOT racing. Two things, you said the ambient temp was like 45 degrees and this is when you were running a normal Cobb Stage 1 tune. Is it because of your modifications and the ambient temp that you now have issues with the stock cooling?

Oh also one other thing, would it make any difference if the lower half of our grill wasn't blocked? Or is this too much of an aero sacrifice?

http://fiestast.net/threads/fiesta-vs-m3-tracked.618/#post-9343

Also yeah, I need to convince my wife that I need a 2j FMIC.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Since no larger radiator was available I have done a few things to help but will probably need the radiator as well.

1) massively swiss cheesed the shroud
2) oit to water cooler disconnected, not sure how to remove it, looks like qtr turn then how to put on a sandwich plate?
3) Mocal Tstat sandwich plate
4) Setrab 11x5.75 core oi cooler on passenger side, double pass so both connectors are not in front of the radiator
5) Cutting holes to allow full flow through grill and through bumper beam, welding in ducting.
6) Water wetter and less antifreeze
7) Larger IC, some of the air is ducted out below radiator
8) Considering mounting oil cooler forward and off angle and ducting output into fender well area instead of to the radiator.
9) Opening up grill by sanding off from the back side.

I am also heat shielding the pipe to the throttle body.

I called the shop at Miller that sets up the cars and they said the FiST had stock cooling, for now at least, the FoST has the bigger radiiators and oil coolers.

I will be watching for your results, parts, prices, etc......:)(

RIck

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
We just need a 2-speed fan from a mid 90's ford taraus !! I had one on my 2002 wrangler with a 95' mustang gt motor swapped into it, and when that 2nd speed kicked on, it felt like it was going to PULL THE JEEP FORWARD, like an air boat, but backwards, lol. I had to buy a 40 or 50amp relay for the "high speed". That fan was nuts, lol.

OP
joe@2j-racing
Thread Starter #16
Ryst, in the colder months, that was correct. But as the temps came up, as did our HP / TQ numbers (to 277wtq, full throttle for 20+ mins) - the 1.6 was running out of cooling capacity after just a few minutes.

Our FMIC is done. Its the only 17 row, 8" high FMIC that doesnt require a single modification to fit. Larger than both COBB and ATP with less than 1/2psi pressure drop. Built in America by Griffin

2JR FMIC.jpg

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Ryst, in the colder months, that was correct. But as the temps came up, as did our HP / TQ numbers (to 277wtq, full throttle for 20+ mins) - the 1.6 was running out of cooling capacity after just a few minutes.

Our FMIC is done. Its the only 17 row, 8" high FMIC that doesnt require a single modification to fit. Larger than both COBB and ATP with less than 1/2psi pressure drop. Built in America by Griffin

View attachment 1154

Getting my wallet ready [raceflag]

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Great work Joe, looking forward to this.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Dang nice stuff again Joe.. wish I had a heads up I could of waited ... Oh well Cost ? or did I miss that part ?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Joe, for us without a PC ( use my phone) can you List the core dementions ? Like... The stock core is 27x5x2 (which is true).