Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Coolant Leak

I guess I can’t catch a break when I buy car. So I have had my fiesta st for a month now used for 75000km at a good GM dealership. it’s leaking coolant now somewhere around the lower coolant hose. There is a nice puddle in my garage. It’s dripping but inconsistently, I cant tell if it form the water pump or just the hose it self. It seems to be leaking from above the hose and dripping down, it on the oil pan also. Which leads me to think it form the water pump but I don’t know how to check.
I know there is a coolant related recall I have already taken the car arrange recall service, they are waiting on parts. I’m not sure if it even related.
I texted the guy who sold the car to me at the dealership hopefully they take care of it, I’m a day or two past there dealership warranty. Anyways let me know what you guys think happened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

koozy

3000 Post Club
check the little overflow hose on the coolant reservoir, it's been known to leak. un-clip it and inspect it.

Also check for cracks on the reservoir.

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #3
check the little overflow hose on the coolant reservoir, it's been known to leak. un-clip it and inspect it.
Do you mean the little hose on the top, it’s seems try, it kinda look like it’s leaking form the side of the engine just by the ways it’s dripping I’m worried it might be the water pump. I circle all the areas were there coolant.

Good news atleast the dealership wants me to bring it in hopefully they don’t give me trouble trying to fix it. I not sure if I will have enough coolant in the morning; should I get some and top it off just to get me to the dealership or would that be bad idea. I don’t really want to get it towed.

koozy

3000 Post Club
yes, the one on top. Could be the water pump too, just haven't read of many having water pumps fail. yes, top off the coolant. Don't risk potential damage.

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #5
So turns out to be the water pump, that’s what they told be wasn’t able to see the leak myself as I had to drop the car of and head to work. They are covering it and I should be getting it back tomorrow.

Leaky water pump? do our cars have track record for these issues. I wonder if it could have been anything I did to cause it. Sure drove it passion in form time to time in the last month, but I always ensure the car was warm and I always wait for the turbo the cool a bit before I turn the car off. I have nursed the car to best of my knowledge. Is there anything i could have done to prevent it then and now.

koozy

3000 Post Club
So turns out to be the water pump, that’s what they told be wasn’t able to see the leak myself as I had to drop the car of and head to work. They are covering it and I should be getting it back tomorrow.

Leaky water pump? do our cars have track record for these issues. I wonder if it could have been anything I did to cause it. Sure drove it passion in form time to time in the last month, but I always ensure the car was warm and I always wait for the turbo the cool a bit before I turn the car off. I have nursed the car to best of my knowledge. Is there anything i could have done to prevent it then and now.

Aside from running it dry or poor coolant lubricating properties not really.

Even if a bad waterpump is not a known chronic issue, they can fail in any vehicle at any time--they are a wear item. That is why they are routinely replaced in any vehicle that is having a timing belt replaced. Bad luck for you that it failed. Great luck that it is getting fixed for free, and now you will have a new one. You will be better off than you would have been if it had not failed.

Business6

Sorry for your luck! Good on the GM dealer to do that, though and hopefully you don't have any more coolant issues!

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #10
Hmm so did end up getting the car back today, as they said they could not find a OEM waterpump form Ford and it would be 6 weeks before they could get one. I imagine it must be because of the coolant recall. So they said they found a aftermarket one, not really sure how to feel about. Are aftermarket ones going to be reliable. I hoping when parts come in for the recall, they will swap it out for a oem water pump then. But they might hassle me about changing it out for a aftermarket one. Hopefully did doesn’t cause me trouble, I can’t really wait 6 weeks without a car, I really don’t have a choice.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I'm pretty sure the recall does not involve the waterpump. Any reputable brand should be fine.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I beg to differ that any reputable brand will do with water pumps..Go OE or go home....Time and time again I have used them at the will of the customer Oreilly..Advanced.....AutoZone
.none of that reman crap either.Each time id say about or alittle over a year they started to leak again. Some pumps are easy to do but others are a PIA....So id get an OE pump and call it a day. I had gone through 3 aftermarket new pumps on my SSEI Bonneville and after the third I got a GM water pump and that thing went until I sold the vehicle and is still kicking around with my buddy now. Food for thought.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Rock Auto.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Dealer parts aren't always the most expensive either as shown and stated here! It goes both ways when it comes to price! [like] Good call....I've used Rock auto for numerous things and have had good luck.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I do not know if this is normal or a new direction from Ford but almost every time I try to order a part from the dealer the part is on back order for up to 3 months. I am hoping that it doesn't get worse once the car is no longer sold.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Tough break. Can you just drive it and keep an eye on the coolant until they get an OEM pump? An aftermarket pump might be fine, but who knows?

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #18
Tough break. Can you just drive it and keep an eye on the coolant until they get an OEM pump? An aftermarket pump might be fine, but who knows?
The leak is pretty bad, I wouldnt think it be safe to drive it around while it’s leaking. Its bummer that now I might have to do another water pump job somewhere down the line.
I wonder if it really tricky on these cars do the timing cover have to come off.

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #19
So the OEM part number is #7S7Z8501C, as I have come to found. They actually pretty hard to come by even online. A Ford dealer in Florida sells them online, but it’s not like I can wait and have the car sit at the dealership.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I wouldn't worry too much about a quality aftermarket water pump. Try searching thermostat replacement. Along with the lower timing cover the altenator has to come off, but doesn't seem too bad install.