Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fuel dilution problem in 1.5 Honda's

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I have to wonder what changes they can make to the injectors that will fix the issue of drivers not understanding the need to get the engine up to temperature every once in a while. Run it lean?

I will say this, Honda makes very good cars. My wife has always driven them, and my parents have as well. But, they are not without their issues just like any other brand. Everyone I know who has an Odyssey van has had the transmission replaced at least once. My wife's current CRV is under a tech bulletin for "potentially sticking piston rings". We are supposed to be monitoring oil consumption, and if it becomes unreasonable, take the car in to have the rings replaced... which is basically tearing the engine down. The A/C compressor seized on the Civic she owned before that....

XuperXero

More insight to this problem as I'm in China...
This is a stupid problem which happens only in China because people buy their cars as a luxury instead of a need.

The 1.5L turbo engine has elliptical piston rings when cold, but will change to perfectly round when the engine is warmed up due to thermal deformation which forms to perfect seal as opposed to older designs where the rings never form a full seal after being warmed up because they couldn't factor in the thermal change well enough (clever engineering if you think about it).

But most people in China will buy cars and then drive across the street to buy something from a convenient store or pick up their kids after school even though it's walking distance, I've seen most of their trips to be 2 kms or less[scratch]. Engine ain't even warm yet. Engine not warm = fuel getting past the rings and into the oil resulting in abnormal oil level. To date... All the owners here with more than 10km of commute have no issues.

OP
Quisp

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
More insight to this problem as I'm in China...
This is a stupid problem which happens only in China because people buy their cars as a luxury instead of a need.

The 1.5L turbo engine has elliptical piston rings when cold, but will change to perfectly round when the engine is warmed up due to thermal deformation which forms to perfect seal as opposed to older designs where the rings never form a full seal after being warmed up because they couldn't factor in the thermal change well enough (clever engineering if you think about it).

But most people in China will buy cars and then drive across the street to buy something from a convenient store or pick up their kids after school even though it's walking distance, I've seen most of their trips to be 2 kms or less[scratch]. Engine ain't even warm yet. Engine not warm = fuel getting past the rings and into the oil resulting in abnormal oil level. To date... All the owners here with more than 10km of commute have no issues.
You get your issue resolved yet ?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
With some exception, it's been my observation that many Honda dealers, when their customers do have issues, stand behind their vehicles. In other words, they don't just label it, "your" problem and send it you on your way to the tune of $1,500-$5,000 out of pocket. They also provide loaner vehicles for the time of repair. Have your outside observations been similar?

XuperXero

You mean my FiST? I think so. Second head gasket swap and it's holding boost now. Not losing coolant or anything.

With some exception, it's been my observation that many Honda dealers, when their customers do have issues, stand behind their vehicles. In other words, they don't just label it, "your" problem and send it you on your way to the tune of $1,500-$5,000 out of pocket. They also provide loaner vehicles for the time of repair. Have your outside observations been similar?
It's China, what customer service? My car has had a total downtime of 7 months in the 4 years of ownership. When I asked Ford for a loaner, they just laughed at me and told me where the nearest subway station is. The same thing is going to apply to Honda and any other brands here. Even the big 3 luxury brands (BMW, Mercedes, Audi) don't offer loaners here.

Also, engine overheated twice from lost of coolant and recall, paid out of my pockets both times and never reimbursed me.

XuperXero

You mean my FiST? I think so. Second head gasket swap and it's holding boost now. Not losing coolant or anything.

It's China, what customer service? My car has had a total downtime of 7 months in the 4 years of ownership. When I asked Ford for a loaner, they just laughed at me and told me where the nearest subway station is. The same thing is going to apply to Honda and any other brands here. Even the big 3 luxury brands (BMW, Mercedes, Audi) don't offer loaners here.

Also, engine overheated twice from lost of coolant and recall, paid out of my pockets both times and never reimbursed me.

The Engine oil dilution issue could also have a root cause in improper fuel injector pintile sealing. I am not sure that Honda vehicles in China are direct injection or port injected. These problems might be caused by QC process issues or material spec issues too.

Ford Community Posts