Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Davenport
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuel dilution problem in 1.5 Honda's

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!

Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Deer Park
    State
    WA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to wonder what changes they can make to the injectors that will fix the issue of drivers not understanding the need to get the engine up to temperature every once in a while. Run it lean?

Member 89 Rep Points

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points  
    City
    Orange
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will say this, Honda makes very good cars. My wife has always driven them, and my parents have as well. But, they are not without their issues just like any other brand. Everyone I know who has an Odyssey van has had the transmission replaced at least once. My wife's current CRV is under a tech bulletin for "potentially sticking piston rings". We are supposed to be monitoring oil consumption, and if it becomes unreasonable, take the car in to have the rings replaced... which is basically tearing the engine down. The A/C compressor seized on the Civic she owned before that....

Member 104 Rep Points XuperXero's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Wuxi
    Country
    China
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

More insight to this problem as I'm in China...
    This is a stupid problem which happens only in China because people buy their cars as a luxury instead of a need.

The 1.5L turbo engine has elliptical piston rings when cold, but will change to perfectly round when the engine is warmed up due to thermal deformation which forms to perfect seal as opposed to older designs where the rings never form a full seal after being warmed up because they couldn't factor in the thermal change well enough (clever engineering if you think about it).

But most people in China will buy cars and then drive across the street to buy something from a convenient store or pick up their kids after school even though it's walking distance, I've seen most of their trips to be 2 kms or less. Engine ain't even warm yet. Engine not warm = fuel getting past the rings and into the oil resulting in abnormal oil level. To date... All the owners here with more than 10km of commute have no issues.
    2013 Spirit Blue 3Dr Euro Spec
    4300K LED Headlights
    BMS Oil Catch Can
    Mountune Induction Hose
    SCOE LED Reverse and Brake Lights
    DIY LED Rear Hatch Light, Intercooler mesh grill, 10mm Gas Pedal Spacer
    Boomba Racing 270g Shift Knob, RMM, Shifter & Transmission Cable Bracket Bushing, Short Shift Lever, Transmission Adapter Plate
    BC BR Series Coilovers 5/3kg
    TADDEO 20mm F/15mm R spacers
    Forged BOV Adapter
    Goodridge SS Brake Lines
    REVO Stage 1 98 RON Tune
    Hard Race LCA
    AP Racing 5000+ BBK
    KO Wing Ricer

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Davenport
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XuperXero View Post
    More insight to this problem as I'm in China...
    This is a stupid problem which happens only in China because people buy their cars as a luxury instead of a need.

The 1.5L turbo engine has elliptical piston rings when cold, but will change to perfectly round when the engine is warmed up due to thermal deformation which forms to perfect seal as opposed to older designs where the rings never form a full seal after being warmed up because they couldn't factor in the thermal change well enough (clever engineering if you think about it).

But most people in China will buy cars and then drive across the street to buy something from a convenient store or pick up their kids after school even though it's walking distance, I've seen most of their trips to be 2 kms or less. Engine ain't even warm yet. Engine not warm = fuel getting past the rings and into the oil resulting in abnormal oil level. To date... All the owners here with more than 10km of commute have no issues.
    You get your issue resolved yet ?

Senior Member 293 Rep Points

Medals
    City
    South West Ohio
    State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With some exception, it's been my observation that many Honda dealers, when their customers do have issues, stand behind their vehicles. In other words, they don't just label it, "your" problem and send it you on your way to the tune of $1,500-$5,000 out of pocket. They also provide loaner vehicles for the time of repair. Have your outside observations been similar?
    2016 Ford Fiesta ST Kona Blue ; Engine, Suspension will remain untouched ; Southwest Ohio ; Winter: 215/45R17 Continental ; Seasonal: 205/40R17 Bridgestone

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Wuxi
    Country
    China
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
    You mean my FiST? I think so. Second head gasket swap and it's holding boost now. Not losing coolant or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
    With some exception, it's been my observation that many Honda dealers, when their customers do have issues, stand behind their vehicles. In other words, they don't just label it, "your" problem and send it you on your way to the tune of $1,500-$5,000 out of pocket. They also provide loaner vehicles for the time of repair. Have your outside observations been similar?
    It's China, what customer service? My car has had a total downtime of 7 months in the 4 years of ownership. When I asked Ford for a loaner, they just laughed at me and told me where the nearest subway station is. The same thing is going to apply to Honda and any other brands here. Even the big 3 luxury brands (BMW, Mercedes, Audi) don't offer loaners here.

Also, engine overheated twice from lost of coolant and recall, paid out of my pockets both times and never reimbursed me.
    4300K LED Headlights
    BMS Oil Catch Can
    Mountune Induction Hose
    Boomba Racing 270g Shift Knob, RMM, Shifter & Transmission Cable Bracket Bushing, Short Shift Lever, Transmission Adapter Plate
    Forged BOV Adapter
    Goodridge SS Brake Lines
    REVO Stage 1 98 RON Tune
    Hard Race LCA
    AP Racing 5000+ BBK
    KO Wing Ricer

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Wuxi
    Country
    China
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
    You mean my FiST? I think so. Second head gasket swap and it's holding boost now. Not losing coolant or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
    It's China, what customer service? My car has had a total downtime of 7 months in the 4 years of ownership. When I asked Ford for a loaner, they just laughed at me and told me where the nearest subway station is. The same thing is going to apply to Honda and any other brands here. Even the big 3 luxury brands (BMW, Mercedes, Audi) don't offer loaners here.

Also, engine overheated twice from lost of coolant and recall, paid out of my pockets both times and never reimbursed me.
    4300K LED Headlights
    BMS Oil Catch Can
    Mountune Induction Hose
    Forged BOV Adapter
    Goodridge SS Brake Lines
    REVO Stage 1 98 RON Tune
    Hard Race LCA
    AP Racing 5000+ BBK
    KO Wing Ricer

Member 34 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    City
    Grass Lake
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    The Engine oil dilution issue could also have a root cause in improper fuel injector pintile sealing. I am not sure that Honda vehicles in China are direct injection or port injected. These problems might be caused by QC process issues or material spec issues too.