Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Broken aftermarket rear motor mount? Hybrid fix 411 = A+

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey folks!

I wanted to give a shout out to my friend Daniel aka [MENTION=4142]SwAp GaS[/MENTION] and at the same time recommend an unorthodox mod that I am absolutely loving on my car in the last week.

So, back story, about a week ago we did some wrenching on my car, installing a 6-point brace and a hybrid Mountune mod that I bought from Daniel. His Mountune broke under pressure (X47++ with meth with LSD with lightweight flywheel) so he modified it. The part that broke was the smaller of the two polyurethane bushings. He put a billet insert with a press fit in its place, and gnarled it so it would not come out. The result is a very nice looking (see pics below) and functional RMM. It's not as soft as a Cobb or Mountune, but not as NVH-inducing as a more solid mount like a CP-E or Boomba. The result is you get a bit of the best of both worlds - a bit more vibration but nothing bad at all, due to the larger bushing still being polyurethane, but the connection to the car is totally amazing. You hear and feel the engine/exhaust more, shifts are crisper, etc.

On a scale of 1-10, where 1 is soft and no NVH and no engine feel and 10 is hard and lots of rattle and noise, this "hybrid" is a great compromise for anyone looking for more connection without the side effects of fully solid mount.

Stock RMM = 1
Softer (e.g. Cobb) RMM = 4
Hybrid homemade RMM = 7
Harder (e.g. CP-E, Boomba) RMM = 10

Anyhow check out the pics, I'm loving this mod, if you have a broken Mountune or Cobb sitting on the shelf, consider this before buying something else, it can be done relatively inexpensively. Holler at [MENTION=4142]SwAp GaS[/MENTION] for more info, he'd be glad to help. He doesn't post here much but he's a super guy who has helped me with a few installs and does everything right and in about half the time it takes everyone else. Oh, and his car is insane as well, a quality and good-looking build with a long list of kills.

Hope that helps some folks! Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You think that it really has less NVH than the CP-E, even being a HALF SOLID RMM?!? (I am asking seriously and inquisitively, NOT with animosity and condescension!) ;)

I guess I made the correct choice with the CP-E RMM for any future BIG power upgrades, with even stickier yet tires.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Daniel will address this....I think in general the Cobb or Mountune are on the softer side, while the CP-E or Boomba are on the harder side, and then the next level would be a full solid mount.

You think that it really has less NVH than the CP-E, even being a HALF SOLID RMM?!? (I am asking seriously and inquisitively, NOT with animosity and condescension!) ;)

I guess I made the correct choice with the CP-E RMM for any future BIG power upgrades, with even stickier yet tires.

Last edited:

I have the CPE on my car and the Hybrid mountune I made has 10 times less NVH then the cpe! only reason I installed the cpe is my wife surprised me with it as a gift for my Birthday.
and I didn't want to hurt her feeling by not installing it. I probably going to buy another mountune and modify just like the one I sold Jeff. Just my 2 cents..

I have the CPE on my car and the Hybrid mountune I made has 10 times less NVH then the cpe! only reason I installed the cpe is my wife surprised me with it as a gift for my Birthday.
and I didn't want to hurt her feeling by not installing it. I probably going to buy another mountune and modify just like the one I sold Jeff. Just my 2 cents..
Just curious, when is your NVH the worst with the cp-e? Everyone seems to have an issue with theirs, but I've had mine for over a year with zero complaints. The only time I get a vibration is if i do a lazy take off and dip the rpm's pretty low. I guess I'm trying to figure out if mine is for someone reason softer than everyone else's LOL!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just curious, when is your NVH the worst with the cp-e? Everyone seems to have an issue with theirs, but I've had mine for over a year with zero complaints. The only time I get a vibration is if i do a lazy take off and dip the rpm's pretty low. I guess I'm trying to figure out if mine is for someone reason softer than everyone else's LOL!
The ONLY time I notice my CP-E's NVH is during COLD start-up and idle, and possibly the first clutch release take-off in that condition.

Other than that, it is 'invisible' as far as NVH is concerned. ;)

Sorry for the late Reply im not on here very often because of my job hours, But anyway to answer your question, The worst part of the NVH is from 1200-2200 Rpm then it almost goes away. "BUT" you still know its there that's for sure. Also there is a good side with the turbo Tech mounts both driver and passenger side there is ZERO engine movement and you can feel
the difference of how much more torque is applied to the ground just at part throttle. ON a side Note I did put the stock lower mount back in just to make a comparison on NVH and you can Barely tell the turbo tech mount are even there.