Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Spark plug socket stuck

Business6

Any tips on getting this damn thing out? If I can snag a picture I'll post it but I thought the socket was on the spark plug after setting it in there and wiggling around and finding no play. I started to turn and it seemed easier than expected so I continued for a couple quarter turns until it hit me that it might not be on the plug at all. Pulled back up and the socket stayed in. I've tried creating some play by slightly turning it back the other way to no avail and used extra long needle nose pliers to just pull it out also with the obvious result.

Either this is going to be quite simple or stupidly expensive. Help me make it the former [bawling]

Go get a long impact extension, the ball spring is much stronger on those. Should be able to pop it in and pull it out

OP
Business6

Business6

Thread Starter #3
I'll see if there's one around. It doesn't look like the socket ever got deep enough to connect to the spark plug

In the future you should use an extension with a locking end that requires you to slide a button or a sleeve to remove a socket. These are widely available.

There is a small plastic cover on the coils there that you can take off that will open up the area to the injectors, fuel pump, and most of all give you space to pull out the spark plug socket.

The blue piece in this picture below can be removed by removing the screws/bolts that are purple in the diagram.

I'll see if there's one around. It doesn't look like the socket ever got deep enough to connect to the spark plug
Not pull the plug out, just the socket. Your socket is too wide, dont try to reuse it until the plug has been unthreaded, using a narrower socket, to a point where you can grab it with the spark plug socket, or remove the junk stuff as stated above.

OP
Business6

Business6

Thread Starter #8
There is a small plastic cover on the coils there that you can take off that will open up the area to the injectors, fuel pump, and most of all give you space to pull out the spark plug socket.
Thanks! I'll take a look at that! Thanks for the diagram!

Not pull the plug out, just the socket. Your socket is too wide, dont try to reuse it until the plug has been unthreaded, using a narrower socket, to a point where you can grab it with the spark plug socket, or remove the junk stuff as stated above.
That's not what I meant. I'm very much only trying to get the socket out.

OP
Business6

Business6

Thread Starter #9
Gotta give my back a rest for a bit. I'm having trouble removing the crossover pipe at the moment. After loosening that difficult-to-get-torque-on 7mm/flathead clamp on there I can wiggle it but not remove it. Aside from the two mounting points on the engine and the clamp itself there isn't anything else holding it in, right? It's my first time really taking a look at thing in the engine bay so I'm trying to familiarize myself with what is where. After that there's just a pair of nuts to remove and I should be able to remove that cover...hopefully.

In about an hour I have some help coming so it'll be nice getting some new muscle and fresh eyes on things, lol. Thanks for the help so far. Hopefully I can get this resolved tonight

You might also be able to use a little super glue on the extension. Let it sit in there a good while to set up. Then acetone nail polish remover to clean it off.

OP
Business6

Business6

Thread Starter #11
Thanks. I got around to borrowing a good heat gun and I'll be trying that in just a moment. If it doesn't work then I'm just going to tow it to a shop. Still sore from doing all this, haha :(

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thanks. I got around to borrowing a good heat gun and I'll be trying that in just a moment. If it doesn't work then I'm just going to tow it to a shop. Still sore from doing all this, haha :(
There is a another method to try if you are willing. Reinstall the extension and ratchet. Turn the socket and push down till it engages the plug. Undo the plug, as the plug winds out due to the thread it will push the socket out with it. The plug has about 25mm of thread which should be enough to unjam the socket.

OP
Business6

Business6

Thread Starter #13
Had a mechanic able to finally remove it. I had a thin wall socket but apparently just not think enough but at least this part is over. Now to put it back together...

OP
Business6

Business6

Thread Starter #15
Are we saying that the standard run-of-the-mill spark plug sockets are no good for the 1.6L EcoBoost ?
What, would you require something special like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Thin-Wall-Socket/dp/B077SVG161
Not exactly sure but guys at the shop I went to weren't totally convinced they'd be able to do it with the ones they had on hand. Probably just worried about the same thing happening, lol.

FWIW, I bought and used this one without an issue: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014ZVSVK . I can't recall where or why, but it was recommended by someone else (maybe in this forum). While it isn't the cheapest option, I'm glad I didn't go with something cheaper.
Is this socket thin enough? I need to do my plugs when I install my X-47.

Is this socket thin enough? I need to do my plugs when I install my X-47.
I can only say that it worked just fine for me. I switched out my plugs a month or so ago and encountered no issues. I was able to attach it around the plug and loosen. The magnet really helps to pull out the loose plug as well as lowering the new one in without damaging it. And for perspective, this was the first time I've ever done a plug change on a car.

I don't have another plug socket to compare it to. It doesn't seem all that thin to me, but again, fit just fine on my 2016 FiST.

Looks like one of the Amazon reviews was someone else with a Fiesta and gave it 5 stars: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...f=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0014ZVSVK

The craftsman5 5/8" deep spark plug socket works fine as well. It has the rubber grommet to hold onto the plug as you lower into place by hand.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The craftsman5 5/8" deep spark plug socket works fine as well. It has the rubber grommet to hold onto the plug as you lower into place by hand.
That's what I've been using for the longest with other vehicles. Just thought I'd check and make sure that I didn't have to replace it. Then again, mine isn't any deeper a socket than standard spark plug sockets.

Decades ago, I used to have a terrible time with cross-threading stuff. All with no applied down force, (or mostly gravity,) I slowly turn the plug/bolt/nut counter-clockwise until I feel the thread drop. Then I immediately turn clockwise for a clean meld on the threads. Plugs more especially than anything, should always be threaded by hand.
Tip about cleaning the threads, should it ever be necessary: http://www.feoa.net/threads/tip-cleaning-spark-plug-well-threads.78481/
Note that was with an older engine where they used to recommend anti-seize. Modern engines typically recommend against the use of anti-seize.