Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

REVIEW: Ram-Air crossover pipe

Bluedrank

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
What's up people.

Recently I installed a RamAir intake setup on my car, and this morning I added the final piece which was the crossover pipe. I thought I'd post a few pics and thoughts. There are a few other threads on this but I like making an independent review.

Previously installed were the RamAir panel filter and induction hose. So this review reflects only the crossover pipe.

PRICE - ****
$132 shipped, and total of $224 for all 3 pieces (crossover, induction, panel filter). That's pretty good I think compared to other stuff out there. Ron at Whoosh has these for sale, he's a great fellow to buy your stuff from.

QUALITY - ***
These guys are making a killing...yes these fit 99% perfectly but the crossover pipe is thinner metal that I expected. Weight savings, right? The quality is significantly less than a CP-E or Cobb intake, both of which I've handled. It's not gonna break or anything, but it wouldn't take much to dent it if it were dropped or used as an anti-zombie weapon or something of that nature.

FITMENT - ****
Pretty much perfect....there's plenty of room, everything goes on super easily. The pipe is touching the engine where the rubberized cover is (see pic), I think the stocker did that as well so it's no big deal, though it would be nice if they weren't touching and rubbing and all.

INSTALL - *****
From the time I opened my hood to the time I closed it was 55 minutes. Great fitment made install super easy. Of course I've removed the cowl/headlights many times so that cut my time down. But it is pretty simple. Make sure you know what size socket you're using before putting the pipe on, that will save you time. I chose to attach the turbo inlet coupler to the crossover first and then put it onto the inlet and tighten. There isn't much room to work but it's not that bad. Knowing your socket size before reaching down there makes it easier. Other than that, it's all super easy, no issues at all.

RESULTS - ???
As you can see from the pics below, where I compare the stocker vs. Ramair, the pipe is wider and has better flow undoubtedly. So in theory more cooling ability and power. Intake air temps did drop about 1-2 degrees compared to before install. I did a datalog before install, in a few days I'll do an "after" log and compare the two and report. According to Jason's intake comparison, the crossover gave the greatest gains of any intake mods, 20tq and 4hp. I'll see how the Vdyno compares to this on my car. Of course we have different setups but still it will be nice to see the results. I will say that the butt dyno felt a bit more torque, but this might be placebo and/or happiness over my newly installed part, you know how that is. Heck though, if it really does add 4hp and 20tq it's totally worth the money. I'll post the results when I get logs after a few days. I take temps and weight and barometric pressure seriously when I V-dyno. But it's still only V-dyno...so there's really no way to prove anything here. But it helps and it's fun.

SOUND - ****
Installing the crossover made a minor but nice sound change. There is more intake noise, but it's not the whooshy whishy type - instead it's the lower end bassy side of the intake noise, the rumble. Sort of like you can hear the engine just a bit more, but the growly part of the engine, not the breathing part. If that makes sense.

OK more datalog results/thoughts to come later, for now here are some pics:

I wasn't going to chime in but this isn't really a fair comparison.
Why compare the RAMAIR crossover pipe against the cp-e and COBB when they are full intake kits?

This is not a high end crossover pipe. I would suggest you try an ITG or something that costs near double from Europe if that was the intent of the test. Ramair is definitely a value brand, the price is a clear indicator.
I actually thought after trying a few other crossover pipes that the RAMAIR actually has qualities the others don't. It's form fitted to the shape it's supposed to be with bead rolls vs. some that are jut a straight pipe with one bend and clean cut offs which are much easier and cheaper to make yet for whatever reason, cost more....

On the other end cp-e: you are paying for quality and being MADE IN THE USA
COBB you are paying strictly for the name, not necessarily the quality

Just my .02 on the comparison
Nice work as always!

redmoe

I’m sure you can get it done with the cowl on but it was worth the extra time for me to remove it. It gets pretty cramped in there. I guess I should rephrase and say it was a must for me ;)

On a side note I was surprised that there was no heat shield tape on the stock crossover. I thought I saw it on there in some install pics.

redmoe

Guys

Be cautious if you are using the Ramair crossover in conjunction with the AEM Intake. The Raimair appears to be slightly longer than the stock pipe. This drives the already tight fitting AEM pipe into the ECU cover.

The real problem is the the two pipes contact each other and it was starting to wear on the edge of the AEM pipe.

Here’s a quick video of the wear:
https://youtu.be/mpjnnkMCWWc

I ended up putting my whoosh silicone pipe back on with my modified AirBox. That silicon pipe is a real pain to get on. Since the edges of the Ramair pipe took a couple small chunks out of the silicone pipe while trying to fit it I ended up using a xacto to chamfer the inside of the pipe and that really helped in getting it to slip on.