Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

With even a Cobb stage 1 making so much more low end and fun to drive, what's the catch?

For me, getting rid of the boost limits in 1st and 2nd is the biggest improvement. Ordered my AP through Strat and ran the Cobb Stage 2 91 for a week or so, then switched to Strat 91. Cobb was really nice compared to stock and slightly less aggressive than the Strat 91. Wish I'd optioned for the TC to be off by default. Maybe it's the higher boost psi with Strat, but Cobb Stage 2 seemed easier to land shifts smoothly. It also seemed to have less rev hang. Still need to do some Strat revisions, but waiting for some cooler weather.

Last edited:
Just put my order in with Strat. $570 shipped for the AP, 91 flash tune, 15 psi eco tune, change shift light, raise idle, and traction control. I have no idea why anyone would buy a new AP for $550 from anyone else.

For me, getting rid of the boost limits in 1st and 2nd is the biggest improvement. Ordered my AP through Strat and ran the Cobb Stage 2 91 for a week or so, then switched to Strat 91. Cobb was really nice compared to stock and slightly less aggressive than the Strat 91. Wish I'd optioned for the TC to be off by default. Maybe it's the higher boost psi with Strat, but Cobb Stage 2 seemed easier to land shifts smoothly. It also seemed to have less rev hang. Still need to do some Strat revisions, but waiting for some cooler weather.
With the Strat TC defaulted on you still killl it by holding the ESC button right?

With the Strat TC defaulted on you still killl it by holding the ESC button right?
I have a strat flash tune with the TC default set to on. You have to go through the AP to turn it off, the ESC button won't do it AFAIK. Maybe i'll test it out a bit later tonight.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #46
Power and torque are limited because:

1 this will allow more average drivers to drive a car that feels balanced - not everyone wants the crazy torque

2 less wear and tear on engine mounts, etc. therefore less warranty costs for Ford

3 turning up the torque means more torque steer which is not a good thing especially for the general public to have to deal with

They factory tuned the car where it is at a balanced, sedate, user-friendly spot which was a smart move in my opinion. Then it’s up to crazy people like ourselves to modify it to our taste.
Very well said, this is exactly what I've come to realize in the time since I started this thread.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #47
I have a strat flash tune with the TC default set to on. You have to go through the AP to turn it off, the ESC button won't do it AFAIK. Maybe i'll test it out a bit later tonight.
So, to clarify for you guys, the terrible Ford TC is always on by default first, to even *get* to using the Stratified TC instead, you must first at least use Sport mode or Race mode every time the car is turned on unless you search for the thread here for the guy who made a device that he sells to defeat this at startup... But from there, yes, if you want to defeat the Stratified TC also, after you ordered it on by default, then you have to do that manually in the AP, also every time you start the car.

Spork1569

Just got my Stratified tune on for my commute this morning and it's definitely more peppy than the Dizzy tune I previously had. I like it but for a daily it is a bit twitchy even in first and second gear, the car just wants to go as soon as you hit the gas(this is with linear throttling)

Might flash this one on for the canyons and stick to Dizzy for DD, but I'm gonna give it a few more days of a trial.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Just got my Stratified tune on for my commute this morning and it's definitely more peppy than the Dizzy tune I previously had. I like it but for a daily it is a bit twitchy even in first and second gear, the car just wants to go as soon as you hit the gas(this is with linear throttling)

Might flash this one on for the canyons and stick to Dizzy for DD, but I'm gonna give it a few more days of a trial.
Strat tune does not help tire life ;)

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #50

When you say "peppy", that's in the way Alex adds timing that makes it feel twitchier too. I've dyno'd both and Dizzy actually makes more power, it just feels not quite as quick because it's so smooth and less twitchy, and doesn't quite make as cool noises. I do have to say Stratified seems to have a little better coolant temp control though, I think he starts up the fans a little earlier than stock and that helps, while most tuners still use an OEM fan speed profile.

Last edited:
OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #52
Gotta burn through these pilot AS3+'s so I can have an excuse to get some 16 inch rims lol. Guess it's time to turn of ESC.
That's me, well, non-Plus factory Pilot AS3's finally almost done at 26.5k... but very limited tire sizes in 16" I've noticed. I only want a small bump in sidewall, not over an inch more in 215/45/16, so I'm actually looking at 17x7.5 to handle 215/40/17 better, but that's talk for the tire threads. :)

So, to clarify for you guys, the terrible Ford TC is always on by default first, to even *get* to using the Stratified TC instead, you must first at least use Sport mode or Race mode every time the car is turned on unless you search for the thread here for the guy who made a device that he sells to defeat this at startup... But from there, yes, if you want to defeat the Stratified TC also, after you ordered it on by default, then you have to do that manually in the AP, also every time you start the car.

Thanks for the clarification. I think I will call them tomorrow and have it switched to default off. I drive the car now with ESC totally off 100% of the time, the Strat TC may be nice when I have my little 15" blizzacks on this winter.

I have no issues breaking traction in 1st and 2nd, followed by a little chirpage into 3rd after holding down the dash ESC button:p

The mountune st215 package is an accesport and filter and does not even viod your warranty. If it is that simple imo it should be stock.
I am fairly new to modding cars. Recently got a 2019 FiST and was wondering if the above quote is true, as I'd like to make my car a bit more fun to drive while keeping the warranty. thanks in advance!

Mikey456

Has anyone tried the second gear boost limiting feature on a Stratified Tune? I’m thinking about that option in the future to lessen wheel spin.

Spork1569

I am fairly new to modding cars. Recently got a 2019 FiST and was wondering if the above quote is true, as I'd like to make my car a bit more fun to drive while keeping the warranty. thanks in advance!
Here's the MP215 that used to be warranty friendly

https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Fiesta-ST-MP215-Performance-Upgrade-p/2364-215-aa.htm

Mountune chose to not recertify the kit past 2016 for both CARB and Ford performance warranty. That means 2017 and onwards can still use it but don't get any of the benefits prior years did. Plus the fact that it's difficult to remove the tune and doesn't actually save your warranty for a 2019 I would say just buying an AP would be a better investment.

Here's the MP215 that used to be warranty friendly

https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Fiesta-ST-MP215-Performance-Upgrade-p/2364-215-aa.htm

Mountune chose to not recertify the kit past 2016 for both CARB and Ford performance warranty. That means 2017 and onwards can still use it but don't get any of the benefits prior years did. Plus the fact that it's difficult to remove the tune and doesn't actually save your warranty for a 2019 I would say just buying an AP would be a better investment.
so would you recommend me to buy a Cobb AP and use an OTS tune?