Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

BIG Brake Kits Using OEM Calipers

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
FINILY AVAILBLE

A Front 323 mm BIG Brake Kit Using OEM Calipers.

FrontKit.jpg

This is the same kit that I have had on my car for the last 2+ years.
They work great.
They will stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change.
The rotors are huge, 323mm.

Some will say that other big brake kits are better and I will NOT argue.
This kit is for people that want great stopping power but don't want to spend $800.+ to get it.
My car is a daily driver that I have done spirited canyon and road race track testing with no problems.

You can also buy the kit without rotors and supply your own, then send the rotors to Mark and he will drill them for FREE (you pay shipping).
The rotors provided in this kit are from a regular production car and can purchased from any auto parts supplier however they must be drilled to fit the Fiesta hub.
Another option would be, to have any machine shop drill them for you.
The hubcentric/spacer is only 3mm thick so longer studs are not required.

Rotors can be also be upgraded to slotted and drilled.

Please contact Mark at Gold Coast Automotive for current price, rotor options and/or further details.
Don't forget to ask about the new Rear 302 mm BBK now available.

http://goldcoastautomotive.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=gold-coast-automotive&item=81256

My rotors are the optional drilled and slotted.

Dave

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Interesting setup. So many holes in those rotors! Do any stoppies?

EDIT:
I see what looks like a hub ring / spacer. I have to assume the ring is stock diameter. Does the spacer push the tires out any? how much?

Last edited:
OP
D1JL

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #3
Interesting setup. So many holes in those rotors! Do any stoppies?

EDIT:
I see what looks like a hub ring / spacer. I have to assume the ring is stock diameter. Does the spacer push the tires out any? how much?

The holes are because the rotors are off a 5 lug car (5x114) and then re-drilled to 4 x 108.
Yes it is a hubcentric/spacer and it is only 3mm thick also built this way so the hubcentric can never accidently come out when changing wheels.

Unfortunately there are no pre made rotors that fit all the dimensions.
Remember too that larger rotors come from bigger cars or trucks and always seem to have 5 or more lugs.
The alternative would be to use a two piece rotor and the cost goes up drastically, so then you should buy the more expensive kit.

The purpose of this kit was not to out perform other BBKs but to do a similar job at a much lower price.
The rotor in this kit is from a regular production car and can bought from any auto parts store or site.
You can also buy the kit without rotors and supply your own, then send the rotors to Mark and he will drill them (you pay shipping).
You could also have any machine shop drill them for you.

Dave

So here's a question, what pads do you use? It looks like if you used stock pads you wouldn't cover the full swept area of the upsized rotors

OP
D1JL

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #5
So here's a question, what pads do you use? It looks like if you used stock pads you wouldn't cover the full swept area of the upsized rotors
Good question.

You only need to grab the outside edge of the rotor.
Just think of as a lever, the further out you can get the easer it is to work the load.

I have always used the stock Ford OEM pads.
Remember too that a more aggressive pad was always used to create more friction because the rotor was smaller.
Now you can let the rotor do the work.
Yes, you can use a more aggressive pad and the brake will work even better but also eat the rotor faster.

Dave

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
What size wheels will these fit? My winter set up is 15" and then my AS and Auto-X sets are 16". I would likely need to ditch the 15" winters, but how about the 16"?

What wheels do you run with this kit, Dave?

OP
D1JL

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #7
What size wheels will these fit? My winter set up is 15" and then my AS and Auto-X sets are 16". I would likely need to ditch the 15" winters, but how about the 16"?

What wheels do you run with this kit, Dave?

I use the FRPP Focus Rally Wheels (17")
I am fairly sure a 16" wheel will work but I have not tested as I don't have any 16" wheels.
Anyone near me with 16" wheels is welcome do a test fit.
A 15", I am sure will not work.

Dave

Last edited:
I saw that they also sell the caliper bracket kit to fit the Focus SVT 300mm brake discs.
What benefit is there of getting this, with 23 mm more, over just the brackets and sourcing the SVT discs?

I saw that they also sell the caliper bracket kit to fit the Focus SVT 300mm brake discs.
What benefit is there of getting this, with 23 mm more, over just the brackets and sourcing the SVT discs?
The one thing I do see with that kit is that is specifies not the ST model, not sure what the differences are though

OP
D1JL

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #10
The one thing I do see with that kit is that is specifies not the ST model, not sure what the differences are though

This is correct, the 300mm kit is for the NON-ST Feista and does NOT fit the FiST.

Dave

I don't know much about brakes, but what is the point of having bigger discs if the pads are the same size? The contact area is the same, there is no more or less friction, right?

I like the idea of putting bigger discs for cheap, I just want to know what would be the difference here.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I don't know much about brakes, but what is the point of having bigger discs if the pads are the same size? The contact area is the same, there is no more or less friction, right?

I like the idea of putting bigger discs for cheap, I just want to know what would be the difference here.
Dave answered the same question earlier in the thread:

Good question.

You only need to grab the outside edge of the rotor.
Just think of as a lever, the further out you can get the easer it is to work the load.
Dave
To reiterate, by moving the friction force further away form the center point of the wheel, you effectively increase the moment that is applied to the rotor/wheel that you rely on to slow the car down.

Thanks, somehow I missed that part is his post.

I guess that the Focus SVT rotors are not the correct offset? From what I found they are a bit bigger than the FiST and are 4x108.

OP
D1JL

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #14
Thanks, somehow I missed that part is his post.

I guess that the Focus SVT rotors are not the correct offset? From what I found they are a bit bigger than the FiST and are 4x108.
The other part of this is that the bracket needs more cut away to clear the FiST caliper therefore not as good of an anchor.
You must also understand that for the leverage action we are only dealing with the radius of the rotor.
The OEM FiST rotor is 280mm and the SVT is 300mm, only 10mm difference in radius and therefore not enough to make much of an upgrade in braking.

Dave

Last edited:
OP
D1JL

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #18
Understood. just curious as to how obtainable replacements would be.
As I said above, any auto parts store or site.
The ones I use are PowerStop Evolution Performance.

Dave

Last edited: