Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

need brakes...input

hey all. my brakes just started grinding..... so now it is time to do some brake shopping. im trying to keep it cost efficient but as always, love performance as well :) so i found this brake company called r1concepts that offer slotted crossdrilled chamfered brakes cheaper than most other companies. does anyone know how quality they are? ive done some research and paroused a bimmer and g35 forum and both seem to give them great reviews. does anyone have any knowledge and can speak for them? positive or negative? also not sure what pads to go with... thinking of going with the hawk hps 5.0 but if theres a comparable less expensive pad, im open to suggestions. thank you for any and all input!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I went with Rockauto front cryoed slotted centric rotors and rear slotted centric rotors. The pads I went with Carbotech 1521 Bobcat pads all the way around...got tired of the dust from the factory pads and constant cleaning....I got the pads from OAKOS here on the forum with a forum member discount. I think I got everything for like $450 I think its been a while...maybe less....But the stopping is more linear and less grabby. But definitely I can tell when you hammer on the brakes its stops nicely and suddenly. good luck! [raceflag]

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
[video=youtube;C3E4tYuCFFk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3E4tYuCFFk[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3E4tYuCFFk

My thoughts on the Hawk 5.0 pads. I used an extensive decision matrix that compared cost, aggressiveness, initial bite, and dusting to compare almost all of the brake pads that I could find.

In the next few weeks I am going to install StopTech slotted front rotors and should be able to review those next. I had used Centric (current owners of StopTech) rotors in the past with good luck.

StopTech/Centric blanks are an upgrade over OEM in longevity and quality, recommended. Did you wear down your stock rotors yet?

Pass on cross drilled rotors. Even slotted aren't worth the premium for just puttering around town and the occasional spirited drive.

As for pads, depends..

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
StopTech/Centric blanks are an upgrade over OEM in longevity and quality, recommended. Did you wear down your stock rotors yet?

Pass on cross drilled rotors. Even slotted aren't worth the premium for just puttering around town and the occasional spirited drive.

As for pads, depends..[/QUOTE

Everyone is entitled an opinion...But as for Cryoed rotors and slotted both upgrades have shown increased braking power. Slotting rotors sweeps water away and gasses out of the pad and rotor surface. Cryoing rotors brings the metal molecules closer together for increased heat resistance. It was worth it...Now drilled rotors I haven't been impressed with ive used them a couple of times and each time the holes developed cracks going outwards. Since then its been slotted for me after factory.[rockon]

I don't know what "braking power" is. All else equal, a fancier rotor won't stop you any faster (why would it??). OP wants something "cost effective" (his words), so blanks > slotted purely for cost, wear and utility reasons.