Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta won't start after battery being disconnected

DangerMouse

I have had the battery out for 6 days.

I installed a mountune downpipe, evap lines from 2015, rear motor mount and rear sway bar. Those were done after day two but I've been waiting for my new intake to get back from powder coat but it's been delayed of course. I'm tired of not driving it and haven't heard the exhaust yet with the new downpipe, I'm getting anxious, so back on goes the cpe intake.

At first it wouldn't even try to start, pressed the clutch and brake and it cranks but stops right when you expect it to turn over.

I have doubled checked all connections and swapped fuses on the ignition fuses behind glove box.

I held the key fob to the steering column as depicted in the manual and same results.

Only possible thing I can think is to try the second key which unfortunately isn't with me but I can get it tonight.

Any suggestions I can try before I drive an hour plus to get my spare key?

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Does the engine turn-over or not?. You say it cranks but does not-turn over which is the same thing. The ECU will stop the starter engaging if battery voltage is below a certain spec like around 10.5 to 11 volts. I would check the battery first.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #4
Sorry for confusion, yes the engine turns over /cranks but doesn't start. Right when it should it shuts off. After 2-3 attempts it doesn't start and I get a very fast ding ding ding ding.

I will check the battery.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #5
Battery is 12.14 with car off. While trying to start it drops to 10.4x and still doesn't start.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Would charging it do it or do you think it needs to be replaced?
I would charge it, the battery may still be salvageable. What do you have to lose but time? I'd recommend topping off the battery fluid with distilled water as I described in the battery maintenance thread I linked earlier. Fyi, slow trickle charge at ~2 amps may take 13-15hrs. for reference. I'd avoid fast charging at 6 amps, which would speed up charging to ~4hrs. but if you must, you must...

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #9
Thanks. I'm going to get distilled water now. I want to drive it tomorrow.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Just turning on the lights drops a battery from 12.6. Cranking is the highest load any battery will face and wouldn't be surprised if a 2v drop is normal. Starting with the most simple checks is recommended regardless.

You'll need to pull codes. If it's fast-dinging there's likely a code set.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #12
I would charge it, the battery may still be salvageable. What do you have to lose but time? I'd recommend topping off the battery fluid with distilled water as I described in the battery maintenance thread I linked earlier. Fyi, slow trickle charge at ~2 amps may take 13-15hrs. for reference. I'd avoid fast charging at 6 amps, which would speed up charging to ~4hrs. but if you must, you must...
Only charger I have is this battery tender 800, will it work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000..._SY340_QL65&keywords=battery+tender+800&psc=1

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #15
Just turning on the lights drops a battery from 12.6. Cranking is the highest load any battery will face and wouldn't be surprised if a 2v drop is normal. Starting with the most simple checks is recommended regardless.

You'll need to pull codes. If it's fast-dinging there's likely a code set.

It is a fast dinging. I'm charging the battery now out of the car. I'll check for codes tomorrow. Only codes I had prior were related to the evap line fix for the intake. That's why I just swapped the oem 2015 lines in.

The battery is definitely an issue, even though it appears to have a charge, everything works and it cranks like normal just doesn't start. There was zero green on the battery sight and it took a bit more water than I expected.

I'll update tomorrow hopefully with good news.

Thanks for everyone's help I do appreciate it.

Last edited:

koozy

3000 Post Club
The battery is definitely an issue, even though it appears to have a charge, everything works and it cranks like normal just doesn't start. There was zero green on the battery sight and it took a bit more water than I expected.

I'll update tomorrow hopefully with good news.

Thanks for everyone's help I do appreciate it.
My battery is a 2014 model year, it took in ~1 quart of water across all cells after ~3yrs. of use without touching it. It wasn't green when I started off, black if anything LOL but you can see the results I got after maintaining it.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Battery looks like the problem. 12.14 volts is about 55% charged. 2 volt drop when cranking is too high more like 1-1.5 volt on a fully charged battery. 10.5 volts is 0% State of Charge. I am guessing the starter current draw for this vehicle would be around 150-175 amps when cranking. Good luck with it.

Intuit

3000 Post Club

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Holy craptanola. Wire harness disconnected? Can you post the lookups for us to mull over?

12.3v right off the charger does sound like a bad battery.