Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

When modding do you prefer the staged route or just go big?

Hello all, recently started modding my FiST and I was initially going to just mod a little here and there and just take my time with it. Now as we all know once you start it is hard to stop haha.

My question is do most of you prefer to mod a little an enjoy those mods for a bit alone, or would you rather just go all out all at once? My car is essentially my toy I have had it almost a year and it has 2900 miles on it, basically weekend driver only. My mind tells me to just put some mods on it and enjoy the car for a bit before completely going nuts on it, but my right foot is saying moar powah lol.

Current mods are the usual mods outside of a turbo swap and DP. Running Dizzy stg 2 E30 tune currently.

If you all had your opinion what would you do?

Thanks for looking

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I was going slow until Black Friday hit. Then my wife was all "wtf" with all the shipment boxes showing up at the house.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I continually upgrade the car over time. This allows me to evaluate different parts and determine what is needed next. I usually find I need way fewer parts than I expected to get the car the way I want it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hello all, recently started modding my FiST and I was initially going to just mod a little here and there and just take my time with it. Now as we all know once you start it is hard to stop haha.

My question is do most of you prefer to mod a little an enjoy those mods for a bit alone, or would you rather just go all out all at once? My car is essentially my toy I have had it almost a year and it has 2900 miles on it, basically weekend driver only. My mind tells me to just put some mods on it and enjoy the car for a bit before completely going nuts on it, but my right foot is saying moar powah lol.

Current mods are the usual mods outside of a turbo swap and DP. Running Dizzy stg 2 E30 tune currently.

If you all had your opinion what would you do?

Thanks for looking
I like to go by the saying...To go nowhere follow the crowd. I usually travel the less traveled route and provide the shock and awe of what can be done when you think outside the box.[party]

1. Evaluate your end game and financial position.
2. Will you do the work or farm it out.
3. What is your main driving (you stated weekend driver, but does that mean street or track).
4. Are you purely about performance mods or entire car.

I chose to do some of the simple things to make the car more pleasing aesthetically, then audio system, then Cobb stage 3, better brakes, and better shifting...That was my path. I will ultimately end up with a new turbo and some suspension updates...

DangerMouse

I usually do the things that affect the driving feel the most on a daily basis.

Shifter, rear motor mount, maybe an intake cause I like loud noises!

Then go from there. I started with those and fmic, then added exhaust, and now just did a downpipe and rear sway bar.

Gives me time to enjoy the mods as I do them and think what I need or want over time and plan from there.

I usually do 1 or two bigger mods a year and tinker with little things.

Right now I'm trying to work on non adjustable front sway bar end links. I think I'm on to something and if it works it could be a good option for much less than others.

This fall I would like to brakes and possibly suspension then I have all winter to figure what's next.

Since I'm only an enthusiast and in no way a professional, I lean on others that knows more than me about my car and try to follow what pros thinks should be done (Cobb stage package for example). With that being said, I don't follow it blindly and try to get my own information and opinion based mostly on what I read here, so I ask a lot of questions.

My car is stage 2, but I did not "upgrade" to a cone filter like Cobb is suggesting as after reading here, it's unnecessary and the stock air box is good enough. I plan on going for the ST200 box mostly because of the colder air it can bring in (thanks to the second intake hose) and the supposedly added sound.

If you just go stage 3 without looking at your handling though, you're going to have a bad time. Just being stage 2, after installing my stage 3 TBPerformance package, it made an ENORMOUS difference in drivability. So much difference that I don't think more power would have been usable without it.

It also makes a lot of sense to pace your upgrades. You'll know what does what which is very important to know where to go afterwards.

Imo, build up to power. There’s no point in having a bunch of power without the proper setup to make use of it. Wheels/tires/brakes/suspension/drivetrain components/ and supporting mods would all be done before I went for a substantial bump in power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk