Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford makes it official dropping all but two cars

Zormecteon

A little history. In the 1980's Donald Peterson was the head of FMoC. He had always, as had most of the Ford executives, been chauffeured around and had not actually driven a car in years. For some reason, (I forget) he wound up at the Bob Bondurant driving school. (I think because Bob was buying a fleet of mustangs for the school. Anyway, They got to talking and Don was informed that his cars needed to be modified to have proper pedal set up (heel and toe) and the springs and shocks altered. The difference was demonstrated to him and it was an epiphany. He wound up sending ALL the top executives of the company to Bob's high performance school so that they would KNOW what a car was supposed to feel like and how it should respond. That marked the end of Ford's making boulevardiers! He also made the decision that they would make the best car they could and sell it at a fair price, instead of trying to make cars to a price point, and "decontenting" them to achieve that point. It marked a turnaround for Ford and the results can be seen to this day..... .. ...

Meanwhile... 1982 .. GM announces a new car division... SATURN
1983...Honda announces a new car division, Acura
1984 Toyota announces a new car division. Lexus
1985 Nissan announces .................... INfinity
1986.. first Acuras sold
1989 First Lexus's sold
1990 First Infinity's sold
1991 Saturn (finally) introduced.

Also in the 1980s GM introduced the GM MARK OF EXCELLENCE campaign..... GM has always found it cheaper to ADVERTISE their quality than to actually build it into their cars....

I WANT to buy domestic, but GM's quality is spotty and Chrysler is even worse. That has only left me FORD and now that will be taken away. Growing up, I was always a Chevy guy, not a Ford man, .. until I owned a FORD. They only problems I've ever had has been the fuel pumps.

My 2¢

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I dont blame you. The fusion spot is a nice ride. Hopefully to have another fusion option 2020/2021 when I'll be ready to buy or lease another one. ford has been the only brand I have bought as a NEW car. as they have always taken care of me and have been great cars. I've owned Chrysler, Toyota, gm, and ford used. My used fords have all lasted over 200k miles. The gm made it to 120k spitting oil every where it went, the Chrysler made it to 160k then blew a head gasket, the Toyota made 120k never had any mechanical issues only interior issues with A/C heater stuff. Cheaper interior but then run.
Circumstances conducive, I will have no problems what-so-ever giving GM a chance.

Based on rep I thought any Ford would be a terrible choice and was delightfully proven wrong. Regardless, I still hear Ford jokes at work... one just last week... and they own their trucks. My Mom's Toyota just had the rings and valve seals replaced around 80k for burning oil on startup; to the tune of thousands. A cousin buys a new Honda every four to eight years because the transmissions fail; and the dealerships want STUPID money to replace them. Still loves them. My father has had minimal issues out of his GM vehicles over the decades and he buys them new, and keeps them for as long as the ODOT road salt allows. Can't think of anyone I've kept up with long-term that owns a Chrysler.

My point is, you can bring out the good and bad about every manufacturer as justification for a particular viewpoint. ALL manufacturers that sell products in huge lots will have stories.

I don't think that Ford will abandon cars, as some press reports have indicated. Yes, they won't make the lot of them here, but they will still make them, and import them as needed.

From multiple experiences in life, I can say that reputation often makes a poor decision maker. (just mention the word "politics") I've learned that I need to base my decisions on personal observations, experiences and think, judge for myself. Basically the decision comes down to the individual product. Decisions about the company division should be limited to the customer service... or disservice. People who buy Lincoln, Cadillac likely seldom have service complaints. Even the best companies put out dogs every now in then, (some more than others,) and even the worst companies sometimes get it right. Circumstances conducive, I will have no problems what-so-ever giving GM a chance.

My view of Chrysler was complicated by their selling out to, and changing their name to "Daimler-Chrysler". (yes I know they were subsequently dropped like a bad habit https://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-archive/2007/05/daimler-chrysler-why-the-marriage-failed.html) If in trouble again, I'm not convinced that they won't do it again... maybe to the China Govt if the US Govt doesn't bail them out next time.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Circumstances conducive, I will have no problems what-so-ever giving GM a chance.

My Mom's Toyota just had the rings and valve seals replaced around 80k for burning oil on startup; to the tune of thousands.

My point is, you can bring out the good and bad about every manufacturer as justification for a particular viewpoint. ALL manufacturers that sell products in huge lots will have stories.

Even the best companies put out dogs every now in then, (some more than others,) and even the worst companies sometimes get it right. Circumstances conducive, I will have no problems what-so-ever giving GM a chance.
THANK YOU!! [twothumb]