Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford makes it official dropping all but two cars

me32

1000 Post Club
Is it just me, or does it seem like there's way too many Ford owners that would go Mazda, Honda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Nissan, Volvo, etc, etc, etc.... before considering Chevrolet? What's with that? [thumbdown]
Most of them came from those other brands before buying s Fist

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Is it just me, or does it seem like there's way too many Ford owners that would go Mazda, Honda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Nissan, Volvo, etc, etc, etc.... before considering Chevrolet? What's with that? [thumbdown]
Only Chevy that really interests me is a c6 or c7 vette otherwise meh. Owned foreign cars ever since high school especially Japanese . American car companies fucked up royally in the 70’s 80’s ans 90’s pretty much and are headed down that road again. Why should I support stupidity. Lol

Don’t get me wrong been a Ford fan for the last several years but lol they are doing the stupid yet again.

Liked 60’s muscle cars but yet again thats the past.

Zormecteon

I'll take a Mustang. Blame the U.S. consumer. Not the company.
No. This is a business decision. They don't want to make another investment in development for smaller profit margins than they can (they believe) obtain selling trucks and SUVs. A margin of 3% to 5% per vehicle isn't enough for them, they want 15% or more. It's simple greed. Quick research shows a profit of nearly 13,000 on every F100 truck.

What current management doesn't seem to understand, or more likely care is that in the long term its a recipe for obscurtiy, aka sterling, REO and others who decided to concentrate simply on trucks. The public soon forgets. FORD was founded on racing success, and they are abandoning that history looking at the short term. The only reason for them to continue with the Mustang is IT'S high profit margin, but how long can they milk that if they are no longer doing the basic R&D to keep it going? Racing is a primary source of R&D. What is the incentive to go racing if they aren't selling cars?

It's sad, but we're seeing the decision being made to abandon one the worlds last great auto makers.... in the name of short term profit.

my 2¢

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
No. This is a business decision. They don't want to make another investment in development for smaller profit margins than they can (they believe) obtain selling trucks and SUVs. A margin of 3% to 5% per vehicle isn't enough for them, they want 15% or more. It's simple greed. Quick research shows a profit of nearly 13,000 on every F100 truck.

What current management doesn't seem to understand, or more likely care is that in the long term its a recipe for obscurtiy, aka sterling, REO and others who decided to concentrate simply on trucks. The public soon forgets. FORD was founded on racing success, and they are abandoning that history looking at the short term. The only reason for them to continue with the Mustang is IT'S high profit margin, but how long can they milk that if they are no longer doing the basic R&D to keep it going? Racing is a primary source of R&D. What is the incentive to go racing if they aren't selling cars?

It's sad, but we're seeing the decision being made to abandon one the worlds last great auto makers.... in the name of short term profit.

my 2¢
You can blame the GREEDY shareholders then as much as the management. [mad]

They also might keep sponsoring/R&Ding for off road/desert/SCORE/etc. truck racing, but given the way they are cutting everything else with a machete, and NOT a scalpel, even that seems unlikely. :(

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^THIS!!

They all bought this car DESPITE it being a Ford (or ANY other domestic nameplate), and ONLY on it's press/enthusiast media and word of mouth rep (or maybe after a test drive because of that rep).

Whereas I would NOT have bought this car, no matter how phenomenal if it wore a Toyota or 'duh badge.

AzNightmare

I love this car, but unfortunately the community for USDM is so dead in my area.
I would have been better off with a Subie or Honda. For crying out loud, a Mazda3 club has monthly car meets and I can't even get more than 2 FiST's to show up in my local meet.

The FiST is a great little gem and I kind of surprised all my friends when I went off the grid and bought a Ford when my whole circle of friends have always been fans of JDM cars, especially through the 90s. At first they teased me about it, but it's all good. I would show them I thought. Well now, it looks like I should have stuck with JDM. The USDM market seems fickle especially when North Americans seem to only want crossovers and SUV's now. I bet you the Civic Si or the STI or even the BRZ is not going to go away for a long long time, and they actually have their brands supporting their cars like it's their holy grail. Not like Ford slapping their ST badges on SUV's and canning everything else. What a joke.

zanethan

Because the only cars Chevrolet makes now are shit. They're all snooze fests to start with. The Malibu looks like it fell off the top of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down as does the Cruz. The Impala looks nice but does nothing for me from a performance standpoint. I can't afford a Cadillac and Buick's are for old people (also they are pieces of poo). If Chevrolet made a fun smallish car I would certainly consider them but they don't nor do they seem to be considering it.

Also, I had one of the Buick Regal GS sedans with the manual for a while. The car was crumbling to the ground with only 40k miles on it. Weird transmission noises, weird engine noises, rust in the cabin, water in the headlights, wheel coatings were peeling off, the list goes on and every issue was a battle to get fixed under warranty.

cxwrench

Isn't up to 6 now ?
Apparently it was a bit much for one of the mods, he locked my thread and moved the post here. It amazes me (almost as much as the lack of grammar/spelling knowledge) that people don't bother to see if there are already any existing threads on a subject.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Because the only cars Chevrolet makes now are shit. They're all snooze fests to start with.
I certainly HOPE you are only referring to their smaller, more affordable product, and NOT to their upper performance rides, which can drive circles around most anything from Japan or Europe while beating them, for fractions of the co$t (albeit, yes, still out of the range of a lot of buyers' budgets). [wink]

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
And because my first and last GM new car sat at the dealership for 2 of the first 3 months I owned it with GM offering to rent me a car until they could make mine run. I traded it 2 weeks out of the shop for a Capri RS and have never considered a GM since. I will never have a GM vehicle again. And if Ford did that to me I would never buy another Ford. I will not buy a Chinese car, or any pick-up or SUV so it seems I am moving on from Ford. I hope we can get a Fusion Sport for my wife before they stop production.

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #35
I believe it is a major mistake; the beginning of the end of Ford.

While the demand for SUV/CUV's is escalating at an unbelievable rate, there is still and always will be a demand for sedans (currently 30-40% of the market, depending how you look at it).

This article is the reality of the situation, I believe:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-might-regret-killing-cars-183225831.html
Kind of bogus numbers when they exclude the biggest selling vehicle......pick-ups! Real numbers are 26% split between how many sellers. And ALL have a tax advantage over Ford and GM. GM announced last week it's plans to drop cars too. Ford is not dropping these cars worldwide, just the fickle US market. So any of them can be brought up to US specs quickly if the market changes. All this doom and gloom is a joke!

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
Yup, gotta be an Urban Cowboy in a loaded Lariat/King Ranch F-350 oil burner so they can scream YEEEEHHHAAAAWWWWWW!! out the window, all the way to the office! [histerical] [thumbdown]
TN just passed a "rolling smoke" charge to stop all that stupidity...............

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
TN just passed a "rolling smoke" charge to stop all that stupidity...............
I was not even speaking to the [gunfire]->coal rollin' bro PECKERWOOD MAGAts, but just to the average suburban yupster who thinks he needs a big ol' pick'emup for the drive to a non-contractor type job, in order to feel like '"a man". [thumbdown]

zanethan

I certainly HOPE you are only referring to their smaller, more affordable product, and NOT to their upper performance rides, which can drive circles around most anything from Japan or Europe while beating them, for fractions of the co$t (albeit, yes, still out of the range of a lot of buyers' budgets). [wink]
Yes I was. The Corvette and Camaro are impressive but Chevrolet makes no practical fun cars, which is what I want/need.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Forgot to add Mitsubishi. [wink]

Chevrolet...
http://www.chevrolet.com/byo-vc/client/en/US/chevrolet/sonic/2018/sonic/trim

Yeah Ford had a miserable rep in the 80s too. I wasn't old enough to drive at the time. A young teenager, eyed my 90s vehicle think'n it was someth'n other than Ford. They had a bad rep. But a young teen wants their own ride/independence about as much as that tail. To my surprise, absolutely reliable. (as far as SEFI mid-90s bi-metal engine vehicles go) Besides rooting for the "home" team, that's the primary reason I stuck with Ford. Ancient reputations die hard. Their biggest Achilles Heal versus other makes is customer disservice. But when I think about it, that's often the description of customer service, regardless of the industry. When the average customer enters a place planning on dropping as much or more than 50% of their annual income, and don't plan on doing that again for another decade at least, they should get the red carpet treatment. Somehow a lot of auto retailers don't get that.

me32

1000 Post Club
And because my first and last GM new car sat at the dealership for 2 of the first 3 months I owned it with GM offering to rent me a car until they could make mine run. I traded it 2 weeks out of the shop for a Capri RS and have never considered a GM since. I will never have a GM vehicle again. And if Ford did that to me I would never buy another Ford. I will not buy a Chinese car, or any pick-up or SUV so it seems I am moving on from Ford. I hope we can get a Fusion Sport for my wife before they stop production.
I dont blame you. The fusion spot is a nice ride. Hopefully to have another fusion option 2020/2021 when I'll be ready to buy or lease another one. ford has been the only brand I have bought as a NEW car. as they have always taken care of me and have been great cars. I've owned Chrysler, Toyota, gm, and ford used. My used fords have all lasted over 200k miles. The gm made it to 120k spitting oil every where it went, the Chrysler made it to 160k then blew a head gasket, the Toyota made 120k never had any mechanical issues only interior issues with A/C heater stuff. Cheaper interior but then run.