Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What Now?

Now that Ford has abandoned us and our love of quick little cars that are a joy to drive, where do we go to get our Hot Hatch/Sports Compact fix? I had been hoping to eventually retire the FiST as a DD and get a FoST, but that won't happen now. A GTI is my next choice, though a WRX might be interesting. I can't stand the look of the new Civics. What about you guys?

HBEcoBeaST

GTIs are nice but way over priced and expensive to maintain (especially DSG).

Subarus the interiors have much to be desired and no roll on power.

Ford has the sweet spot IMO. Looks, quality, value and proper hot hatch powerband+handling. Although I don't like how the FoST drives, not very confident inspiring on canyon runs.

I'm interested in Hyundai's N series cars when they come stateside.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thinking Mini, Toyota Corolla (you can get a manual!), Mazda3, Veloster N, or look for a used something else. I don't see buying another Ford as long as the current CEO is there. The only new Ford that I am kind of intrigued with, is the Ranger Raptor, but that isn't sold here, will probably be stupid expensive, and I doubt I could fit it in my garage.

I do think the majority of Ford car owners will defect to VW or Mazda, at least the hatchback owners. Possibly Subaru with the WRX, assuming that will continue to live on. There was always this theory that if you could get a new buyer in an entry level car, they would grow with the brand. You buy a Fiesta or Focus after college and retire with a Lincoln. All along the way, you go back to the brand to buy your next car for the next step in your life. You build brand loyalty. Ford said FU, we don't care. We only want to sell high priced Mustangs, Crossovers, SUV's, and Trucks that will make a huge profit and don't care about being loyal. In the almost 40 years on this earth, I have never been away from Ford. Think about that level of loyalty. I have been riding in or owning Fords for longer than most people are married. That is being brand loyal. Ford says none of that matters and I will have to find a new car company. They have no interest in growing loyalty. The idea of losing a customer isn't a concern. I am willing to bet that the majority of Focus and Fiesta buyers, especially the ST and RS models won't buy their next car from Ford. They aren't the type of buyer that loves to have the same SUV as their neighbor. They won't buy a F-150. They think the Edge ST is stupid. Those buyers, the ones that bring loyalty and enthusiasm to the brand will go someplace else.

HBEcoBeaST

Don't get a mini. It will constantly break on you. I know a few girls with them and all have constant problems.

BMWs aren't known for reliability. Imagine a cheap BMW... Because that's what Mini is.

Don't get a mini. It will constantly break on you. I know a few girls with them and all have constant problems.

BMWs aren't known for reliability. Imagine a cheap BMW... Because that's what Mini is.

This!!! I had an R53 Mini, loved the car, so much fun to drive, lots of stuff broke on it and they were pricey fixes.

I might be back in to a Subaru when its time for a new car. Seems that this lil FiST will be both my first and last Ford which is sad considering how much I enjoy mine.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club

I would rather have a broke Mini than a SUV. At least when the Mini is working, I will be enjoying the drive. :p I do agree that the reliability of the Mini cars are questionable at best. VW doesn't seem to be much better.

As I do start to look around for what to do next, I realize how good of a value the Fiesta ST is. Try finding a hatchback with 200hp, supportive seats, a manual transmission, and priced under $30k.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I'm going to drive mine until the wheels fall off. You can get JDM cars that are 25 years old - and that could be a fun mobile (or some Renault or a Peugeot). Or, indeed, a Veloster N, if you are looking for a hatch. M2s are very quick.

Brand loyalty is an obsolete notion, just like life-time employment with the same company and is an example of an irrational behavior common in humans. I have a GT350R, but I didn't buy it because I have a FiST. Once I'm done with the FiST, I'm thinkng an R8. A GT4 or a GT3 would be on that list, as I'm thinking that I won't be driving quite as much when I get to that point...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This is why I was back and forth with trading my 15' in for a 17/18' last year so that I could have a brand new one I could drive till the wheels fell off... when I couldn't reach a deal at that point, I did the X37 and a ton of other stuff, so looks like I'll drive my 15' for a good bit longer. Hopefully something will come along at that point.

Also interested in at least seeing the Veloster N. Would love if Audi brought the A3/S3 back in hatch form. I too had an R53 Mini and it was a blast to drive, but even with endless maintenance, if I didn't preemptively fix it, it or something else would break.

HBEcoBeaST

The Minis I saw breaking down weren't even driven hard. Everything from drivetrain to electrical to exhaust welds went wrong.

I need something smaller, fun to drive and able to fit my surfboards/gear/junk. The ~$20K price tag and cheap parts make me not afraid to drive the hell out of it and actually enjoy the car.

I have big hopes for the N series from Hyundai, but pricing will probably be in the $30K range. Hope I get to drive my FiST until it dies, anything I'd replace it with will likely be twice the price (N series, Macan, golf r, sports sedan)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I am happy I am getting a 18, ya I am paying about 2k more for it vs buying a 17 but there is some cool factor in having last of the last. When I first got into owning cars in my senior year of High school I owned a 69 2 door Datsun 510. Nissan discontinued the PL510 in 73 and there was limited run of the 73. They were considered special because of that and were much harder to find on the used market.

Oh and I do think my color choice will become sought after as well. Again because it did not sell as well. An example of this is in the BMW E36 M3 line , Estoril Blue,Boston Green, Techno Violet,Hellrot Red, where not popular colors when those cars sold new. Now they are sought after and those colors have skyrocketed in value.

All of this tells I plan on owning this car for ten years or more. No plans on letting anyone else have my fun until maybe 200k lol

I like Ford hatchbacks, so this is a bummer for me, but money makes the world go 'round. My cars are in good shape, so I think I'll keep them for a good long time.

I had a subie BRZ which was awesome, everyone who likes driving should at least consider some version of the 86.

But if you really want a hatch, pray for the MazdaSpeed 3 to come back!

The Minis I saw breaking down weren't even driven hard. Everything from drivetrain to electrical to exhaust welds went wrong.

I need something smaller, fun to drive and able to fit my surfboards/gear/junk. The ~$20K price tag and cheap parts make me not afraid to drive the hell out of it and actually enjoy the car.

I have big hopes for the N series from Hyundai, but pricing will probably be in the $30K range. Hope I get to drive my FiST until it dies, anything I'd replace it with will likely be twice the price (N series, Macan, golf r, sports sedan)

My R53 had an HID Ballast go, cracked welds at the catalytic converter, Window motor and actuator went, seized rear caliper... the list goes on. For all that I still enjoyed the car. I've been looking for a dedicated track car recently and the R53 sprang back up in my mind.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
A Civic SI would be my next choice, a sporty car with a 6-speed and Honda reliabilty, although I doubt it handles as well as our cars do. I always had Honda or Acuras before, and kept an Integra GSR for 16 years. It was fine when I sold it.
I like having a hatch,but don't have to have one. I wouldn't get a GTI or a Mini because of reliability issues, I've been warned off of them by too many mechanic friends.

The GTI is a fantastic car and my 2010 didn't really give me any headaches except a noisy throwout bearing that didn't get replaced under warranty. I would definitely buy another one (the DSG maint every 40k is irritating, but it's every 40k so not that frequent), but the cost is a turn off. In VA we have personal property taxes, so every year I have to pay tax based off vehicle assessed value just to own it. I'm glad my 15' FiST reflects like 12k so at least it's only a couple hundred bucks. People I know who bought 30k plus cars are having to pay 600+ every year just to have it.

My R53 was an 06' with fairly low miles on it. I replaced all kinds of things, engine mounts, pulley tensioner, control arm bushings, etc. I even did tons of preventative maintenance far before it was due and I didn't really beat on it too much... but still ended up finding oil in my coolant tank which was pointing toward a leaking headgasket. It was such a downer, but a ridiculously fun car at the same time.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ill say either a Elantra Gt...Veloster N ....Subaru wrx or STI or civic si or Type R. Those are my next go to vehicles coming up.[rockon]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This will most likely be the last car I own, new OR used, given my age, unless it gets totaled/destroyed somehow.

In THAT case, I would look for a decent used RS, or C6 Z06 or the like (the used GT350s/350Rs I'd want would likely STILL BE way too costly, even far into the future [:(] ).
(But those 15% interest used car loans are tough to take! [mad])