Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How do I find the right tune and/or professional tuner for my car?

I'm new to modding and cars in general but through modifications, I'm able to get good knowledge about what a particular part does and how it works.
Currently, my performance mods are as follows (excluding cosmetics, to get to my point):

- COBB RMM
- Boomba BOV adapter
- Resonator delete on stock exhaust
- 2JRacing Cowl Induction Intake
- Mishimoto Oil Catch Can
- K&N Drop-in Filter
- COBB AccessPort v3

With the mods mentioned above, what kind of tune should I be using? Are the off-the-shelf tunes in the AccessPort good enough? Is my car considered Stage 1 or 2 at this point (even without the aftermarket FMIC)?

I live in Anchorage, AK and haven't found someone who sells custom tunes as of yet.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Don't get hung up on the "stages" hype . Stratified, Tune + , Dizzy can send you a tune via e-mail. A fmic would be a good choice for next mod.

OP
V
Thread Starter #3
Don't get hung up on the "stages" hype . Stratified, Tune + , Dizzy can send you a tune via e-mail. A fmic would be a good choice for next mod.
I appreciate the response. I thought I'd have to bring my car in person, for me to get a custom tune. For now, do you think Cobb's OTS Stage 1 tune will work fine?

I appreciate the response. I thought I'd have to bring my car in person, for me to get a custom tune. For now, do you think Cobb's OTS Stage 1 tune will work fine?
Stage 1 will work just fine. Depending on the weather, you could probably do stage 2 and be fine (though an upgraded FMIC is something you will need when the weather gets warm - if that even happens up there).

But - the next best thing to an actual custom tune would be a flash tune via e-mail as Quisp stated. Plenty of vendors to choose from with very good reputations and a variety of prices. If you go with one that will do a log review, that is basically a custom tune of sorts since they will revise your tune. They will be slightly more expensive than the one-time flash tune, but might be worth it to you.

A lot of folks here will jump in and say you need to add the FMIC, but jtehh is correct--it may gain you little to nothing if you don't have a lot of hot weather in Alaska. You can monitor charge temp with your AP and if you are seldom more than 10 or so degrees above ambient with your OEM intercooler, save your money. You can actually risk a bit more lag with a higher volume intercooler, for obvious reasons. When I bought my Stratified tune, I configured it for the FMIC even though I don't have one installed yet. It was 32 degrees here in Ohio yesterday, and in low single digit temps for a lot of days since I bought my tune several months ago. I do have a new Whoosh FMIC sitting in the box which I will install when the weather gets hotter, but we have plenty of 95 to 100 degree days here in the Summer.

OP
V
Thread Starter #6
A lot of folks here will jump in and say you need to add the FMIC, but jtehh is correct--it may gain you little to nothing if you don't have a lot of hot weather in Alaska. You can monitor charge temp with your AP and if you are seldom more than 10 or so degrees above ambient with your OEM intercooler, save your money. You can actually risk a bit more lag with a higher volume intercooler, for obvious reasons. When I bought my Stratified tune, I configured it for the FMIC even though I don't have one installed yet. It was 32 degrees here in Ohio yesterday, and in low single digit temps for a lot of days since I bought my tune several months ago. I do have a new Whoosh FMIC sitting in the box which I will install when the weather gets hotter, but we have plenty of 95 to 100 degree days here in the Summer.
Yeah, the highest it ever gets in Alaska is like 70-80 degrees in the summer. I'll be using Cobb's Stage 2 OTS tune for now and will get a custom tune once I get more into serious modding... and learn more about my car.

Dang, yeah it gets 100-105F+ with high 90%+ humidity here for a few days here and there. You could delay that intercooler purchase for a while since you are in Alaska.

Since summer is rolling around, I still would recommend an intercooler to anyone though, it can only benefit you. These turbos are so responsive that I just don't believe in that the volume added by the intercooler adds any measurable lag. Otherwise, people replacing their change pipes would loose response from going to the tiny diameter stock pipes all the way up the the huge 2.5" pipes. Everything I've seen has shown that intercoolers in our application can do nothing but benefit you. We aren't talking about huge intercoolers that block up the front the car in this platform. Almost all these direct replacement intercoolers are still considered "small" in the world of automotive modification.

The logic with the larger intercooler adding lag only really applied to very high horsepower applications where the 700 HP turbo "Mustang" (or whatever) wants an intercooler that will cool "1200 HP" when the "900 HP" intercooler will work just fine. In this "Mustang" case, these kind of intercoolers are huge and are many times larger our largest aftermarket options. They should use the smallest size that fits the "Mustang" application without noticeable heatsoak. For our platforms, the volumes of even large aftermarket intercooler are so small that this kind of logic doesn't really apply. Different rules for different power levels.

Back on topic, the stock unit is woefully inadequate for any tune in my opinion, you lose a power on the top end due to heatsoak in any kind of track or spirited backroads driving. While you can't "feel" it as easily, since these are torque monsters down low, you lose a lot of HP on the top end past 5k RPM from heat soak. I've seen a loss of a few HP up top even in 60F weather, about a 3-8 hp loss towards redline in the second pull, compared to the first at those cooler temps. I swapped the intercooler as my first mod, before I even started heavily tuning the car. The engine just felt tired on the top end after going from a dead stop up to highway speeds on interstate entrance ramps in anything over 70 F. A FMIC is the second best mod (besides tuning) from the data I have seen.

Well, unless you just do 1/4 mile drag runs and squirt methanol in. No benefit in a larger intercooler in that case on the stock turbo. Could be a few dyno pulls out there that prove me otherwise, but I haven't seen them yet so I'll stay opinionated.

First and best mod is spark plugs, spark plugs, spark plugs. Gotta replace them stock spark plugs, their gaps are usually pretty large and the heat range is a bit too warm when you start tuning the car.

All the pro tunes are remote files you upload to the cobb.

I've been working with Jason @ Dizzy and he's been really good (fast responses, elaborates on questions, friendly), all the other tuning companies are great also. Adam at tune + and I have been chatting about doing a built motor, and he's been quick to get back to me. Stratified is sort of the "premium" tune price wise, but they have put alot of RND into the car. Panda tune and Mountune are both great as well. The community has been good about weeding out the "bad guys" and making an open environment :)

For what you are running, stage 1 or 2 is fine. Not sure what shipping is like to Alaska (I imagine it's similar to Canada), but you can pick up an intercooler and highflow cat for a decent price (even better if it's used). and go "stage 3".