Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

REVIEW: Heartland Motorsport Park Topeka, KS

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I just wanted to do a review of my first ever track day(in a car) at Heartland in Topeka, KS.

It was sunny and about 55-60 degrees ambient April 20th, 2018. I wanted to just clarify to some that are on the fence about getting parts for their car before they go to their first track day.

*DISCLAIMER*

-I'm not saying any of the advice I got was incorrect or false, just that in my scenario and driving style it wasn't needed.

First off, I was told to atleast upgrade my pads and fluid at the minimum.

I just want to share my personal experience for my particular scenario. I experienced no brake fade, coolant temps never went above 190 F(I did have the heat on full blast pointed out my window as people suggested) and the highest my Oil temp got was 220 F but hovered mainly around 210-215 F. Now, my car is not stock but in terms of things that are affected by running it hard and get an increase in temp(oil, pads, rotors, tires) are all stock. I have the optional Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's which did quite well I might add for an all-season tire. They where squealing thats for sure.

I understand this will vary from driver to driver but brake wise they never faded, I turned ESC completely off as people suggested too. The reason I shared the weather was because it obviously has a massive affect on temps for anything. I can see Heartland being a heavy braking track for some but others it may not be. I did follow the "slow in, fast out mantra" so I engine braked most of the braking zones without slamming on the brakes coming into the corner because to me thats not being smooth and fast.

I will say I wasn't babying it either. I was consistantly passing new Camaro SS 1LEs, GT350s, Audis, S2000s, FoSTs, FiSTs, GTOs, Corvettes, and GTs. If I recall the only car that passed me was a 1LE but after he passed me he never got away in the corners. I'm sure a driver mod was in need as I don't consider myself a professional driver but one that has grew up around all kinds of racing so I know the basic in's and out's of it but still consider myself a novice at best. I also do understand these are muscle cars so they where out of their element in the corners, except the GT350 which is considered a track oriented Mustang.

tl;dr

For 60 degree ambient and sunny weather at Heartland, stock brakes/cooling system is perfectly adequate. This was in the midst of the season going from Winter to Spring so if its the summer 80+ degree track days I wouldn't doubt new pads/fluid are needed though.

On a semi related note. I can't wait to get some actual tires made for this type of thing and go at it again. I was already addicted to this on the paced laps.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
So, did your pack thin later in the day?
The novice group not necessarily but the GT3s that where there in the paddock where not there after the first few sessions lol