Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock Exhaust Backfires/Pops

Hmm not really sure this is an issue, but it’s getting warmer now so I have been driving with the windows down. I don’t rev match downshift often all the way to 2nd but I did today and to my surprise the car split out a nice pop. I didn’t even think these cars pop at all completely stock.

When I got back in the car that’s all I did rolling up to every stop, and I pretty much go one each time. I usually just slip it into neutral and stop. It’s isn’t particularly loud, but for someone who never had or been around performance car, a little pop was pretty cool to hear.

Do your stock ST get pops or backfires form time to time or is it just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #3
I’m completely stock in a 2014 and it happens in similar situations.
Yea suspected the ecu runs the afr a rich on downshifting or the timing is retarded alittle. Can’t believe these car backfire stock, thought it was a RS feature.

Guess they would have just added that for fun factor.

My 2014 ST has never backfired. I down sift all the time. I have 20 k on it and drive it hard. I also run 91 ethonal free fuel. FiST & Bronco.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #5
Well I’m not sure if it matters but I run 93 maybe that’s why it does it. Form what I have read the stock maps are supposed to run rich, but that’s just what poeple are saying on forum post.

I’m just hoping it’s not a issue, the car is running flawlessly nevertheless.

cxwrench

'14, stock except for Cobb OTS Stg 1. My car does it every now and then, but it's not really a 'backfire', more of a subtle pop. Mostly 4-3, sometimes 3-2. I think there might be a bit of a burble at times too, but it's so hard to hear what's coming out of the exhaust unless you're in a parking garage or an alley. Might have to mount the Garmin Virb back there someday and see if I get anything.

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #7
'14, stock except for Cobb OTS Stg 1. My car does it every now and then, but it's not really a 'backfire', more of a subtle pop. Mostly 4-3, sometimes 3-2. I think there might be a bit of a burble at times too, but it's so hard to hear what's coming out of the exhaust unless you're in a parking garage or an alley. Might have to mount the Garmin Virb back there someday and see if I get anything.
Yea backfires actually a bad word to use, it’s more of pop. Not like evo with anti lag at all not even close; not like one those “pop and crackle” tunes. can’t hear with music or windows up, or if your not listening for it. It’s always coming down form high revs or at hard acceleration. U really need to drive alittle crazy to get it to happen.

Yep, my '17 with 4k miles does that, bone stock so far. Subtle, but it's there, both 4-3 and 3-2. But I downshift/rev match almost always. I'd actually like more pop, without going stratified.loud and/or full cbe...maybe a resonator delete would make it a little less subtle?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #9
Yep, my '17 with 4k miles does that, bone stock so far. Subtle, but it's there, both 4-3 and 3-2. But I downshift/rev match almost always. I'd actually like more pop, without going stratified.loud and/or full cbe...maybe a resonator delete would make it a little less subtle?

U know form what I been told muffler deletes are the way to go; resonator don’t do much for making a nicer sound as a the muffler will just mess it up.
The resonator changes the sound into something deeper the muffler can silence. If you didn’t have a muffler to quite it down u get the nice deep note. Well that’s what I’m hoping happen I’m gonna get one ASAP.

cxwrench

Yea backfires actually a bad word to use, it’s more of pop. Not like evo with anti lag at all not even close; not like one those “pop and crackle” tunes. can’t hear with music or windows up, or if your not listening for it. It’s always coming down form high revs or at hard acceleration. U really need to drive alittle crazy to get it to happen.

Yep, that's how mine is, first time I heard it was coming off the 101 and there's a sound wall just off to the right. I had both driver's and passenger windows down, went from 6 to 5 to 4, then got next to the wall and went to 3rd at about 55ish, and I rev-match. It surprised me, but it's happened a bunch since.

I'm seriously thinking about a Thermal catback from Ron...not sure what you'd get doing a resonator delete.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I get gurgling on most rev matched downshifts, if the rev match is over 4500 then I usually get a solid pop instead. Was that way since new with no mods. The muffled muted pop was the reason I did exhaust, I wanted to let it out more :) exhaust pops were the best part of my srt4 and Abarth!

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #13
I have done the deed, got myself a muffler delete rather pricey one, but that what they charge around here.
Back to topic, the muffler delete really make difference, i can hear all the burbling and the pops on downshift are clear as day.

I don’t regret it at all, as for drone very minor, I would say it is negligible.

For anyone who want clear pops cheaper then a whole catback, muffler delete is the only way to go.

I have done the deed, got myself a muffler delete rather pricey one, but that what they charge around here.
Back to topic, the muffler delete really make difference, i can hear all the burbling and the pops on downshift are clear as day.

I don’t regret it at all, as for drone very minor, I would say it is negligible.

For anyone who want clear pops cheaper then a whole catback, muffler delete is the only way to go.

I might be going today to delete both my res and my muffler. If I don’t I’ll just put a vibrant muffler back in the place in the place of the original muffler.

FWIW, i had been running a crackle free map from dizzy on the stock catback and got no pops. Put on a MBRP and i get insane crackles and popping, sometimes it sounds like a shotgun haha. Pretty wicked imo, without the extra "snap crackle pop" tune, and any concerns that may come along with it.

I have an exhaust cutout just after the res and I’m doing a res delete this summer. Do you guys think it’ll pop like crazy or just be louder?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I get them on mine, with the factory tune, but I do have a CP-E Nexus system on the car (and GFB DV+ IF that has any bearing on this?), connected to the factory down pipe.

It is usually from a closed throttle while coming down from high revs, but sometimes also in between hard shifts while "getting after it" and shifting at redline.

Mine will ALWAYS burble-pop (sometimes LOUDLY) when coming out of my neighborhood while the engine and exhaust is still cold, and cutting the throttle in first gear for that first stop sign.

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #18
I have an exhaust cutout just after the res and I’m doing a res delete this summer. Do you guys think it’ll pop like crazy or just be louder?
I don’t think it’s will get all the much more pops, resonator doesn’t hold back to much sound, form what I understand the resonator and mufflers is supposed to work together, resonator deepen the sound so the muffler can quite it. A downpipe would prob make the biggest difference after a muffler delete for more pops. But u could just get that little louder pops out of a resonator delete, I don’t think u will get more tho.