Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Weird Knocking Sound

I had an extremely weird knocking noise after I started my car. Some characteristics:
- It began today, and has happened 3 times.
- It only occurs immediately after I start my car, and lasts about 5 seconds.
- It is not an engine noise.
- It actually sounds like there is a woodpecker on the roof of the car; i.e.: it is a like the sound of a small hammer hitting sheet metal.
Ideas???

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
One of the mounts, anyway.

My first instinct was to suggest HVAC module going bad. A clicking sound coming from dash area for about five seconds.

Since you believe it is coming from roof. Do you happen to have a sunroof? Possible bad motor up in the sunroof assembly?

dmb

my HVAC makes that clicking noise, i was hot to replace it but everything still works, so i kinda let it slide for now.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hopefully, you're still under warranty.

OP
O
Thread Starter #11
Warranty is over, as I have 40k on the old girl.
How difficult is it to replace this thing?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's doable. There are threads here, and vids on youtube.

OP
O
Thread Starter #14
UPDATE: I got a quote from the local Ford dealer, and they want $1900 to replace the lend door actuator. They claim that there is a ton of disassembly/reassembly involved, and that they need to drain the coolant and refrigerant, among other things. That's a lot more complicated than what I read on this forum!

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
It took the tech. about 20 minutes (he had done it before) at my dealer.
I had to use my ESP warranty so I paid the $50.00 deductible.
It is on the driver's side of the console just above the accelerator pedal.
NO, you don't need to drain or remove anything else.

Dave

OP
O
Thread Starter #16
It took the tech. about 20 minutes (he had done it before) at my dealer.
I had to use my ESP warranty so I paid the $50.00 deductible.
It is on the driver's side of the console just above the accelerator pedal.
NO, you don't need to drain or remove anything else.

Dave
I totally believe that you are correct. I can't believe that they would actually gouge me for $1900 for a less than 1 hour repair! [???:)]

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I totally believe that you are correct. I can't believe that they would actually gouge me for $1900 for a less than 1 hour repair! [???:)]
I do.

You can do it yourself, or take it anywhere else, and pay way less.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
UPDATE: I got a quote from the local Ford dealer, and they want $1900 to replace the lend door actuator. They claim that there is a ton of disassembly/reassembly involved, and that they need to drain the coolant and refrigerant, among other things. That's a lot more complicated than what I read on this forum!
Please post the estimate. Any paint program (simply click StartMenu and type "Paint") can edit the photo to redact name or other info. Sounds like they're wanting to do something else. Labor is charged according to a "book" that all dealers have. Parts, taxes and miscellaneous charges may vary a little between dealers.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Please post the estimate. Any paint program (simply click StartMenu and type "Paint") can edit the photo to redact name or other info. Sounds like they're wanting to do something else. Labor is charged according to a "book" that all dealers have. Parts, taxes and miscellaneous charges may vary a little between dealers.
I doubt we will see it in writing.......