Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

HID headlights flickering and shutting off - Battery, Ballast or Bulb problem?

I've had my retrofit (custom) HID kit for 2 years now. Supposedly, HID bulbs last approximately 3-5 years, but mine are already flickering.
I've already ordered new bulbs just in case it's the problem. I'll also get my battery re-charged. What I'm unsure of are the ballasts.

It would be obvious as soon as I've replaced my bulbs and battery. But are there visual cues that could tell me if the fuse/ballasts are bad?

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I would first assume ballasts might be going poopy. My HIDs on my other car will turn on flawlessly sometimes but othertimes one side wont work. Thats usually a sign of a water damaged ballast. HIDs also usually change a off color when they're about to go out.

V_2

Have you already tried the simple things like reseating all connections and making sure everything is clean and snug?

OP
V
Thread Starter #6
I would first assume ballasts might be going poopy. My HIDs on my other car will turn on flawlessly sometimes but othertimes one side wont work. Thats usually a sign of a water damaged ballast. HIDs also usually change a off color when they're about to go out.
That's what I'm worried about - the ballasts going bad. The rest are easy and inexpensive to replace/recharge. My car has been through rain and snow for about 2 years though without going bad. I don't know why it'd get water damaged just now.

OP
V
Thread Starter #7
Have you already tried the simple things like reseating all connections and making sure everything is clean and snug?
I checked to make sure the connections are tight, but I haven't checked for everything else yet. I'll be with my car again in about a week and will check for bad fuse, bulbs, ballast, battery, etc.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
It may be the way the ballasts are powered.
Remember this car was not designed for HIDs.
HID ballasts draw more current than normal bulbs and this can make the ballasts fail faster and more often.
I too have had this problem before.
You may also experience the autolamp feature failure to operate correctly.

Dave

Ford Community Posts