Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Burning Oil Smell

Lately, I've been smelling the smell of burnt oil when I drive my FiSt. Didn't think much of it because it doesn't last long but the smell is pretty consistent every time I drive the car now. Depending on how long the drive is, I can smell it a few times throughout the drive (like a drop is hitting something hot every now and then). Car has just over 5,000 miles on it. Mods are listed below.

I decided to check and drain my OCC last night to make sure it wasn't leaking, which it was not. What I did notice while under the car was some oil residue on the cast metal bracket for the passenger side axle, a drop of oil on the bottom of the turbo band clamp and some light oil residue on the back of the block near the exhaust manifold and in that general area. Can't find the source though. I'm trying not to freak out because of the issues I've read about on the earlier MY FiSTs, but mine shouldn't be prone to the earlier issues as it's a 2016 with a late 2015 build date yet, the symptoms are eerily similar to some of the threads I've read on the issue.

I'll try to get some pics this weekend and update the post. Anyone else had similar issues and have the fix be simple like a loose fitting or something?

Mods:
GFB DV
Cobb FMIC
K&N Drop-in
Damond OCC
VelossaTech Snorkel
Stratified Flash Tune

EDIT: A little late, but here are the pics. Appears to have gotten worse as there's now oil on the IC piping too.

Last edited:
Just a guess, and you may have already found it on the forums because it seems all too common, but seems like it is the oil drain line out of the turbo. See this thread below. It is [MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION]'s thread but it was another poster with the problem. Maybe it only happens in non-stock turbos, but makes sense to me based on where I see the oil in your pics. Hell, that tube is in almost every picture and the oil is showing up below it.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/3074-koozy-s-ST?p=285194&highlight=drain+tube#post285194

Ah - better searching. Here is link directly to when [MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION] had similar issue and his pics look eerily similar to yours. Was a small crack in the pipe.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/3074-koozy-s-ST/page21

Last edited:
OP
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the links!

Having had turbo cars before, the drain line was my first thought as well, but it appears to be the one thing that doesn't show any signs of oil on it. Plus, there's oil residue higher up than the drain line is i.e. on the turbo itself and the block above it. I'll try to get back under the car this weekend and verify the drain line is dry. I would love for it to be something as simple as that, but knowing my luck, it won't be.

slopoke

Just a guess, and you may have already found it on the forums because it seems all too common, but seems like it is the oil drain line out of the turbo. See this thread below. It is [MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION]'s thread but it was another poster with the problem. Maybe it only happens in non-stock turbos, but makes sense to me based on where I see the oil in your pics. Hell, that tube is in almost every picture and the oil is showing up below it.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/3074-koozy-s-ST?p=285194&highlight=drain+tube#post285194

Ah - better searching. Here is link directly to when [MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION] had similar issue and his pics look eerily similar to yours. Was a small crack in the pipe.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/3074-koozy-s-ST/page21
Looking at the third pic from the top. If it was the oil pipe, you would think there would be oil drips or residue on the flange or the pipe itself. The pipe looks dry. Now if you look at the upper fwd bolt on the compressor housing flange, it's wet. I'm new to the FIST, so I don't know what oil lines or fittings are above the turbo, but it might be coming from something located above the turbo, or from the turbo itself.

Looking at the third pic from the top. If it was the oil pipe, you would think there would be oil drips or residue on the flange or the pipe itself. The pipe looks dry. Now if you look at the upper fwd bolt on the compressor housing flange, it's wet. I'm new to the FIST, so I don't know what oil lines or fittings are above the turbo, but it might be coming from something located above the turbo, or from the turbo itself.
Ah, you are right. That is above the line. Well, I'm done then. I've never been up in the area. Someone in here will know what is up there.

slopoke

Ah, you are right. That is above the line. Well, I'm done then. I've never been up in the area. Someone in here will know what is up there.
Ok, just looked at the installation instructions from the ATP website on installing their turbo and I would check the torque on the oil supply line banjo bolt. It's located at the top of the turbo. The url below is to the instructions from ATP. It shows the line on page 6. Good luck.

https://www.atpturbo.com/root/help/pdf/install/Fiesta_ST_Turbo_Install.pdf

OP
Thread Starter #10
That was my thought as well, it appears it's something above the turbo causing the issue. I was trying to look up there last night after taking the pics, but it started pouring down rain, so I had to stop.

OP
Thread Starter #11
Ok, just looked at the installation instructions from the ATP website on installing their turbo and I would check the torque on the oil supply line banjo bolt. It's located at the top of the turbo. The url below is to the instructions from ATP. It shows the line on page 6. Good luck.

https://www.atpturbo.com/root/help/pdf/install/Fiesta_ST_Turbo_Install.pdf
Dude, nice find! [rockon] I'll see how easy it is to get to that banjo bolt, hopefully it's not too bad.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Based on the photos posted I would suspect the oil feed line before the oil drain tube on an OE turbo. Check both fasteners at each end of the oil feed line. Because of the oil drip on the engine block in the 3rd photo down my guess it's the oil feed line that's leaking, possibly leaking from the very top at the cylinder head oil feed tap. If it's leaking from there, oil could be running down the on the engine block like in the photo and also running down the oil feed line to the turbo and dripping from there too to the driveshaft like we see. If it was leaking at the turbo I don't see the likely hood of oil residue jumping across over to the engine block.

Last edited:
OP
Thread Starter #14
Based on the photos posted I would suspect the oil feed line before the oil drain tube on a OE turbo. Check both fasteners at each end of the oil feed line. Because of the oil drip on the engine block in the 3rd photo down my guess if it's the oil feed line that's leaking, is a possible leak from the very top at the cylinder head oil feed tap. If it's leaking from there, oil could be running down the on the engine block like in the photo and also running down the oil feed line to the turbo and dripping from there too to the driveshaft like we see. If it was leaking at the turbo I don't see the likely hood of oil residue jumping across over the engine block.
Agreed, thanks for your assessment!

OP
Thread Starter #15
Well, it's not the oil feed line either. Not wanting to dig any further at this point since the car is still under warranty, so I've scheduled to take it in to my local dealer tomorrow. I'll let everyone know what they find.

OP
Thread Starter #16
Took it to my local dealer and they said it was the valve cover gasket, so we'll see if that fixes the issue. I've driven the car a couple times now and still smell a little oil, but not as bad, so I'm guessing the remainder of what had already leaked is being burnt off.