Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What is the best laptimer app for Android?

anticon

Looking to get recommendations for telemetry and video apps for track days. I have seen videos that show the track line, speed, telemetry, etc. I searched and found RaceChrono and TrackAddict. Are there others? Which one is the best? Thanks.

I really like TrackAddict along with RaceRender. I mainly do autocross and it seems to work decently for that: https://youtu.be/YpiQ5Kw78Wk

I really like the custom gauges that I can add to the videos. There's a lot of flexibility there. I've found that it's only okay for inter-session performance assessment though. I just like the data logging that fits well with RaceRender.

Another [really expensive] option for autocross is SoloStorm: https://www.petreldata.com/product/solostorm-gps-obd-ii-and-video-logger-for-android-v2-2/

I've heard of Harry's Lap Timer too but don't have any experience with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
anticon

anticon

Thread Starter #3
I wound up trying the RaceChrono Pro app for Android. It cost $19.99 for the pro version. I am using it with a ZTE Trek 2 tablet that I strap to my visor. It links up to my GoPro Hero 3, BAFX OBDII Bluetooth Reader, Dual XGPS150 GPS receiver, along with the gyro and accelerator in the phone. The video processing is all done in the app which I liked. You just have to pull the microSD out of the GoPro and put it in the tablet, then copy the video file to a specific folder. You can also use the camera in the device if you want to add a PIP. You can adjust the timing of the video via a +/- 50 ms button to match the rest of the sensors. You can customize the information shown on the overlay with whatever info your devices can gather. It will even do heart rate if you have a device that will connect. So far so good. I am going to try some laps around some roads where I live to see how it works with lap timing. But I tried last night and it looks like it figures out when you cross the "starting/finish line" (which you set up in the app with a couple button presses.)

OP
anticon

anticon

Thread Starter #4
So this is an example of what RaceChrono was able to do on my tablet with the devices listed in my previous post. You can adjust the video to the sensors/gauges, but it doesn't seem like the GPS and the accelerometer line up with the OBD rpm and throttle anyway. This could be because I need a better OBD and GPS unit though. The PIP is just to show it works, the video is from the tablet strapped to my visor so it only picked up a little video.

[video=youtube;8Jfg6TS3quQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jfg6TS3quQ[/video]