Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intercooler hose keeps popping off

Hey guys! So i've been having a strange issue since I purchased my 2017 Fiesta ST. I purchased it used and it was clear the previous owner had some mods done and removed the parts before trading it in. The car always drove well, however one day I noticed I was losing a lot of boost and there was a high pitched squeal coming from the front drivers side. I looked under the car and the cold side hose was coming off the hard pipe. After re-tightening the hose the car responded well, it was like the power on tap doubled just by readjusting the hose. Since then under any sort of aggressive driving conditions the hose will walk itself off and in some cases completely comes off. I rechecked and noticed the side attached to the intercooler wasn't on completely. After changing that the hose now more frequently comes completely off if I push the car over anything but conservative driving. The hose doesn't seem to be in bad shape and the clamps i'm using are both T-Bolt clamps. Any ideas as to why this might be occurring? The only modifications to the vehicle are a Cobb intake, catback exhaust and a sound symposer delete. I'd hate to have Ford check this and not cover it via warranty if there is an issue. Would replacing all the boost hoses remedy is the issue? Thanks for your help!

koozy

3000 Post Club
Check your motor mounts and perhaps invest in at least a rear role restrictor (RMM). Excessive movement from the motor will allow the hoses to walk. You can also try hair spray on the hoses/pipe connection before clamping them down.

OP
T
Thread Starter #3
That's something I didn't consider. It absolutely makes sense. I have a Cobb RMM ready to install. I'll throw that in this weekend and go from there! Thanks for the input, i really appreciate it.

I had a pretty badly failed pass. side motor mount and even at full flex it wasn't putting tension on the IC hoses. They're pretty flexible. The RMM is a great upgrade in general, but I doubt it's the problem.

Did you check the charge pipe & intercooler hose conn. to make sure they're not damaged? Maybe the previous owner broke or cut the lip off the piping so the hoses aren't seating properly.

If that checks out, maybe swap out the t-clamps for worm gears. T-clamps have more clamping force, but it's not as uniform as worm gears. They're also less adjustable. Maybe the PO had an aftermarket IC/charge pipe/silicone hoses with a larger diameter and the T-clamps are too large for the OEM setup.

OP
T
Thread Starter #5
I had a pretty badly failed pass. side motor mount and even at full flex it wasn't putting tension on the IC hoses. They're pretty flexible. The RMM is a great upgrade in general, but I doubt it's the problem.

Did you check the charge pipe & intercooler hose conn. to make sure they're not damaged? Maybe the previous owner broke or cut the lip off the piping so the hoses aren't seating properly.

If that checks out, maybe swap out the t-clamps for worm gears. T-clamps have more clamping force, but it's not as uniform as worm gears. They're also less adjustable. Maybe the PO had an aftermarket IC/charge pipe/silicone hoses with a larger diameter and the T-clamps are too large for the OEM setup.
The hose seemed to be in good shape. Its only one side that consistently comes off, the side going into the hard pipe. I'll be sure to check the hoses out when I get it up on ramps. I have a couple worm gear clamps laying around, i'll throw those on and see if it makes a difference. Is it common for a side motor mount to go bad with only 13k on it? Haha I imagine with aggressive driving it's possible.

redmoe

I would definitely check to make sure the t bolt clamp is not bottomed out. Sounds like the clamp is reaching the end of the threads and not getting tight enough. I noticed that the cold side ic end tank to hose would seem like to walk off some. Properly sized t bolt clamps seemed to fix this.

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
I would definitely check to make sure the t bolt clamp is not bottomed out. Sounds like the clamp is reaching the end of the threads and not getting tight enough. I noticed that the cold side ic end tank to hose would seem like to walk off some. Properly sized t bolt clamps seemed to fix this.
That's a great suggestion. It seems to tighten and not have any play when fully locked down. i'll for sure look into this though! Thank you!

Those hoses have petroleum on them from blow by and it helps the hoses slip. Get some soapy water and a towel and scrub both surfaces clean. Then spray it off with a hose and dry till both surfaces are squeaky clean.

Helped when my cold side started popping off a lot. T-bolt clamps help too.

OP
T
Thread Starter #11
Those hoses have petroleum on them from blow by and it helps the hoses slip. Get some soapy water and a towel and scrub both surfaces clean. Then spray it off with a hose and dry till both surfaces are squeaky clean.

Helped when my cold side started popping off a lot. T-bolt clamps help too.
I'll be sure to do that as well! Looks like I got my work cut out for me haha. Trial and error, should be a good time! Thanks for the suggestion!

OP
T
Thread Starter #12
Hey guys! The RMM and a better clamp did the job! Thanks for all of your suggestions! Car drives like a champ now!