Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2.3 Ecoboost into Fiesta?

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
haha, yep. I moved out of suspension engineering a few years ago for product planning and strategic business development, but the years of engineering discipline are still there. It is no joke when people say sometimes you need to shoot the engineer and get a project done.

Becareful with the 2.3 in the mustangs. They have some predet issues.

But thus far the 2.0 ecoboost hasnt had the same issues. And it would be a sick beech in a fiesta.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I wished I could put a transmission with taller gears in mine, but the chances of this working out are near to zero of that happening.
When I look at the 1.6 T engine bay, it's cramped in there.
I doubt any larger engine would fit, unless you plan on compromising the crumple zone of your car, by cutting away parts of the frame.
I mean, it's been done before...
What would make more sense, is installing a twin turbo, have a tune done, and run on ethanol.
It'd be about a $3k project, and a lot cheaper than an engine swap like mentioned.

Might be better to think of welding the Fiesta's body on the Mustang's chassis.
Twin turbo a 4cyl for $3k. I keep learning new things from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Haha, yeah no kidding. 20 year old me would have said let's grab some beers and swap engines! Almost 40 year old me puts together a cost to benefit matrix, logs hours of reading and researching, sits up at night contemplating all the things that could go wrong and the affect on long term reliability, develops a decision matrix based on key attributes, considers how much spending could be allowed before the wife starts to question, and this is just on deciding what brake pads and rotors I should go with.
I can so relate!

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Ford already did it for a SEMA project. Having done engine swaps in the past, I would not do one again. I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined. The amount of work, reliability, cost, more cost, even more cost, time spent fixing things that didn't work, more cost again, and the massive amount of time involved would not be something I would want to do again. I have seen so many friends take a really nice car and try an motor swap. After years of work, they get rid of the car with the swap never completed. The car is sold for pretty much nothing since it doesn't run and is full of mismatched parts. They never come close to recovering the money spent. Instead of enjoying a really nice car, they turned it into a money eating, dust collecting, garage decoration.
You should do another sema car with a second 1.6 ecoboost in the back :p

Imagine the fun of sorting the throttle clutch and shifter linkages muahahaha

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Haha, yeah no kidding. 20 year old me would have said let's grab some beers and swap engines! Almost 40 year old me puts together a cost to benefit matrix, logs hours of reading and researching, sits up at night contemplating all the things that could go wrong and the affect on long term reliability, develops a decision matrix based on key attributes, considers how much spending could be allowed before the wife starts to question, and this is just on deciding what brake pads and rotors I should go with.
Heh my first engine swap was from a wrecked challenger with a 440 into a duster with a spin rod bearing. Was too much engine for my high school auto shop engineering, but it was fun. Later did two v8 fieros, those were surprisingly easy and a heck of a lot of fun.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
what about the turbo from a mustang fitting a fiesta? hmmm anyone know of someone thatā€™s tried this??
Why? Why not just go with a larger turbo kit already designed for the Fiesta? They likely come in sizes close enough to a Mustang and are already known to fit in place. It's not like putting a Mustang OEM turbo on your car will suddenly make it RWD and displace 2.3 liters.

Why? Why not just go with a larger turbo kit already designed for the Fiesta? They likely come in sizes close enough to a Mustang and are already known to fit in place. It's not like putting a Mustang OEM turbo on your car will suddenly make it RWD and displace 2.3 liters.

A friend is upgrading his turbo and I was curious to see if the specs would fit on a fiesta and make more hp just curious if anyone has tried it going to look them up now

You should do another sema car with a second 1.6 ecoboost in the back :p

Imagine the fun of sorting the throttle clutch and shifter linkages muahahaha
I mean itā€™s all electronic now, even your clutch pedal doesnā€™t have a mechanical linkage.

Iā€™m not saying it wouldnā€™t be a pain in the ass
to pigtail every wire coming off your ecm, but in theory you could run two identical engines off of one ecm, provided you put them both at TDC before you started them up.

Now that Iā€™m actually thinking about this it seems like a really bad idea, still technically possible, but just a really bad idea because youā€™d have to choose one engine to take sensor readings from and assume that the other one is providing similar enough readings. But that would mean you wouldnā€™t know if one engine lost oil pressure until it seized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
A friend is upgrading his turbo and I was curious to see if the specs would fit on a fiesta and make more hp just curious if anyone has tried it going to look them up now
Nope, no can do. The mustang exhaust housing is one with its exhaust manifold, and its also a twin scroll turbo. So unless you feel like making some crazy adapter for our exhaust manifold, or putting a 2.3 head on your block (which wont work) just get a turbo designed for the car.

FordMurloc

Has anyone thought of something like a Hayabusa motor or a k swap? I feel like adding a shit load of power to a front wheel drive is pointless. The car is so good already because it's light amd underpowered with a good amount of torque and a great steering rack. But what I we had a light weight longitudinal motor (with modifications to the tunnel to accept drivelines) and made the the fiST rear drive and high revving NA . With the amount I have tracked and autocrossed this car I can say the biggest problem with this car is that it is so light that if you want to put power down you spin the front wheels. Which I get. Its safe, it's cheap, and it is reliable in bad weather. I've opened this car as a first owner for almost 6 years. I've taken it to tracks and autocross almost twice a month since then. It doesn't need much more power. It needs rear or awd so the front end can do what it does so well already without the pitfalls of the fwd. I believe you could have a monster on your hands if you could figure out an ITB k swap with roughly 270 to 300 hp NA and a modified Floor pan and rwd. I would venture to guess that a car like that would be in f80 m3 territory for track times. I bout my car brand new off the lot , first owner, 18k with 52 miles. So that plus the engine and modification by a professional shop to fit the drivelines a pro wire tuck and standalone ecu you could spend 50 to 60k for something really special. I'd love to do this and I might . If I do I will do a very detailed documentation but seeing as I work about 65 to 80 hours a week it's unlikely. But as a track rat... the only downfall is the fwd especially with no LSD. You can make 400+ hp with the motor ... for a while... or you can build it and make more. But the chassis isn't made for that. It was made to compete at wrc. With 600 hp but not fwd... they had all 4 wheels. So imagine half that power just to the rear with a highly modular motor in the Honda k series. It's small, not intercooler piping , no turbo to place or clock in the engine bay. And with cams and valves you can easily have an 8k plus rpm motor making hybrid turbo ecoboost levels of power and not having drivability issues on track with the torque surge on a fwd turbo car with more power than. It should have.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Has anyone thought of something like a Hayabusa motor or a k swap? I feel like adding a shit load of power to a front wheel drive is pointless. The car is so good already because it's light amd underpowered with a good amount of torque and a great steering rack. But what I we had a light weight longitudinal motor (with modifications to the tunnel to accept drivelines) and made the the fiST rear drive and high revving NA . With the amount I have tracked and autocrossed this car I can say the biggest problem with this car is that it is so light that if you want to put power down you spin the front wheels. Which I get. Its safe, it's cheap, and it is reliable in bad weather. I've opened this car as a first owner for almost 6 years. I've taken it to tracks and autocross almost twice a month since then. It doesn't need much more power. It needs rear or awd so the front end can do what it does so well already without the pitfalls of the fwd. I believe you could have a monster on your hands if you could figure out an ITB k swap with roughly 270 to 300 hp NA and a modified Floor pan and rwd. I would venture to guess that a car like that would be in f80 m3 territory for track times. I bout my car brand new off the lot , first owner, 18k with 52 miles. So that plus the engine and modification by a professional shop to fit the drivelines a pro wire tuck and standalone ecu you could spend 50 to 60k for something really special. I'd love to do this and I might . If I do I will do a very detailed documentation but seeing as I work about 65 to 80 hours a week it's unlikely. But as a track rat... the only downfall is the fwd especially with no LSD. You can make 400+ hp with the motor ... for a while... or you can build it and make more. But the chassis isn't made for that. It was made to compete at wrc. With 600 hp but not fwd... they had all 4 wheels. So imagine half that power just to the rear with a highly modular motor in the Honda k series. It's small, not intercooler piping , no turbo to place or clock in the engine bay. And with cams and valves you can easily have an 8k plus rpm motor making hybrid turbo ecoboost levels of power and not having drivability issues on track with the torque surge on a fwd turbo car with more power than. It should have.
you know, you can get an actual fast car for not a whole lot of money

Last edited:
Has anyone thought of something like a Hayabusa motor or a k swap?...I believe you could have a monster on your hands if you could figure out an ITB k swap with roughly 270 to 300 hp NA and a modified Floor pan and rwd... So imagine half that power just to the rear with a highly modular motor in the Honda k series. It's small, not intercooler piping , no turbo to place or clock in the engine bay. And with cams and valves you can easily have an 8k plus rpm motor making hybrid turbo ecoboost levels of power and not having drivability issues on track with the torque surge on a fwd turbo car with more power than. It should have.
i'm not sure what Honda K engines you think exist but there isn't a single one ever built that hit north of 220BHP without a turbo and none of them were smaller than 2.0L; where are you getting this 270HP NA number from? and HOW are you fitting this in the Fiesta engine bay?

as far as a Hayabusa engine, it's a 1.3L inline 4cyl engine which probably isn't really that much smaller than a 1.6L ecoboost engine.

even if you boosted a single rotary Wankel engine within an inch of its life (i think that would be something like a 650CC engine) i don't think you'd have the space or power to justify the conversion

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
lol dude says "build a 300hp K series with ITBs and make a rear wheel drive Fiesta so it doesn't have driveability issues" - man who hurt you? That sounds like a nightmare.