Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Increase spring travel?

OP
P
Thread Starter #41
Nope, all stock... I mentioned earlier my last car was also a 1.6T hatchback and it was at 3250 at 70 so I just figured that this was very slightly taller geared. When I had that previous car I thought that was too short geared so when I got this it was one of the first things I paid attention to and confirm.
What model year is yours from?
Mine is 2017, and revs around 3k at 75MPH, like other users have mentioned theirs did too.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
So you're with me right? 70MPH@3000RPM?
My cars been away for a while, but I’m pretty sure 70mph is around 3000. 70-75 are going to be close in rpm. If I had my car with me, I’d go out and confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
So you're with me right? 70MPH@3000RPM?
Here’s a snapshot of a video I did previously. It appears that 70mph is 2750ish. I, reluctantly, concede that 75mph is probably 3krpm.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Here’s a snapshot of a video I did previously. It appears that 70mph is 2750ish. I, reluctantly, concede that 75mph is probably 3krpm.

I'd swear that 70 is pretty much dead on 2750.
I wonder if this is why the MPG rating dropped a bit from 35 to 33? Maybe they switched to shorter gear for the late model years as I'm exactly 3000RPM@70MPH...

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I wonder if this is why the MPG rating dropped a bit from 35 to 33? Maybe they switched to shorter gear for the late model years as I'm exactly 3000RPM@70MPH...
Interesting, actually. IIRC, the reason they dropped the MPG rating was because they’d overrated it. Snap a pic... It’s a souped up econobox, the rpm decal may not be positioned the same on each car lol. A more definite way to tell would be to datalog it.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Interesting, actually. IIRC, the reason they dropped the MPG rating was because they’d overrated it. Snap a pic... It’s a souped up econobox, the rpm decal may not be positioned the same on each car lol. A more definite way to tell would be to datalog it.
Good points, I'll get out on the freeway and use cruise control, my AP set for RPM's and GPS to see what the truth is... Besides, like in 2008 there was EPA adjustments to MPG's that made it more "real-world" I think they did that again in 2016... Car and Driver somehow got 38 MPG's at 75 MPH when they tested but real world is probably 34...

cxwrench

Good points, I'll get out on the freeway and use cruise control, my AP set for RPM's and GPS to see what the truth is... Besides, like in 2008 there was EPA adjustments to MPG's that made it more "real-world" I think they did that again in 2016... Car and Driver somehow got 38 MPG's at 75 MPH when they tested but real world is probably 34...
I see 34-35 on long freeway trips. 70-80mph...doesn't seem to matter. A/C on or off...doesn't matter. I fill up and calculate 34 every damn time. [biggrin]

me32

1000 Post Club
I see 34-35 on long freeway trips. 70-80mph...doesn't seem to matter. A/C on or off...doesn't matter. I fill up and calculate 34 every damn time. [biggrin]
I was getting the same when i had mine and at 60-65mph i was getting 35-37mpg

OP
P
Thread Starter #53
From what I read on the forum 80MPH is ~3125RPM, and I can attest that's correct.
Also 75MPH is 3k RPM.

I know, because I do this on the freeway regularly.
I get 33MPG avg, not sure if it's because I'm doing longer stretches of 80MPH, or because the engine is still brand new?

MPG goes up significantly, if I go slower.
I find this engine runs best at 2500-2750RPM for highway cruising, which is 65-70MPH.
Quiet, good MPG, smooth-no-engine-vibration riding.
At 3k RPM at constant speed, there's still no Turbo boost, but when I press the pedal it does generate boost.

Unlike my Chevy Cruze, the AC on the ST is not only colder, but it also doesn't seem to affect MPG readout.
Not sure if the AC really doesn't strain the engine, or if the on board ECU just doesn't take the extra load into account.
The ST's engine is 200cc larger, the cabin is smaller (easier cooling), and the gearing ratio is actually smaller than the Cruze, which should help with less MPG drain (it was about 10% of MPG lower on the Cruze in final gear with AC on, vs off); however, when I'm at a stop light, my HUD plugged in the OBD2 port, does show a difference in MPG. (5l/hr with AC, 4l/hr without ac).
I also set my AC between 75-78, so it's not full on cold, and fan is at setting 1-2.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
From what I read on the forum 80MPH is ~3125RPM, and I can attest that's correct.
Also 75MPH is 3k RPM.

I know, because I do this on the freeway regularly.
I get 33MPG avg, not sure if it's because I'm doing longer stretches of 80MPH, or because the engine is still brand new?

MPG goes up significantly, if I go slower.
I find this engine runs best at 2500-2750RPM for highway cruising, which is 65-70MPH.
Quiet, good MPG, smooth-no-engine-vibration riding.
At 3k RPM at constant speed, there's still no Turbo boost, but when I press the pedal it does generate boost.

Unlike my Chevy Cruze, the AC on the ST is not only colder, but it also doesn't seem to affect MPG readout.
Not sure if the AC really doesn't strain the engine, or if the on board ECU just doesn't take the extra load into account.
The ST's engine is 200cc larger, the cabin is smaller (easier cooling), and the gearing ratio is actually smaller than the Cruze, which should help with less MPG drain (it was about 10% of MPG lower on the Cruze in final gear with AC on, vs off); however, when I'm at a stop light, my HUD plugged in the OBD2 port, does show a difference in MPG. (5l/100km with AC, 4l/100km without ac).
I also set my AC between 75-78, so it's not full on cold, and fan is at setting 1-2.
Lots of good info... we've gone WAY off-topic but interesting... If you get a tune, then you REALLY notice plenty of boost and power builds quickly at freeway speeds without having to shift down... Definitely agree 70 MPH is the sweet spot for speed and MPG's.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
2750RPM at 70mph is what mine is with P205/45 17 tires. I averaged 36mpg on a 6 hour road trip with highway speeds between 65-70mph. Averaged 34mpg on the return trip thanks the GPS putting me on a very twisty road with lots of elevation changes.

Back to the original post, after spending a few days on a road trip and doing normal car things, I had no issues with a lowered ride height and a splitter installed. I touched the splitter once pulling out of a gas station and plowed some mulch in a dirt parking lot. No problems with speed bumps or driving around a rutted parking lot. No problems making my own parking spots in places I need to be in order to take photographs for the event that I was at. Nobody should consider raising the ST for street use.