Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

VT330R Hybrid Turbo Kit Install and Review

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #41
I see you had to trim the top half of your heat shield. I can see how their elbow not work with the larger cpe hot side pipe, but what’s exactly the issue with their elbow not working with the Ramair crossover pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The elbow had to be trimmed so it wasn't so offset from the turbo but that was no problem. The problem is that it's a 5" long elbow and vertically it just barely mates up to the crossover but with no overlap to install a clamp.

IMG_3577.JPG

Last edited:

koozy

3000 Post Club
Ah... okay, I think Vibrant has an 8” leg elbow available, 3” to 2.75” which I’m guessing is what your turbo inlet looks like if you can’t find something to work locally. Its what I used for my GTX 3” inlet to mate up to the 2.75” Ramair pipe.

Last edited:
OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #43
Ah... okay, I think Vibrant has a 8” leg elbow, 3” dia. to 2.75” which I’m guessing is what inlet looks like if you can’t find something to work locally. Its what I used for my GTX 3” inlet to mate up to the Ramair pipe.

Thanks! I'll look that up and order one I think. I also just ordered some silicone couplers and aluminum joiners on Amazon Prime so I'll have them Monday. That should get me up and running again once the TS Plumb Back comes in Monday or Tuesday.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #44
My Amazon order came in today. I ordered a 2.75" aluminum joiner and 2.75" silicone coupler for the crossover pipe and a 1.5" aluminum joiner and 1.5" silicone elbow for the hot side charge pipe. I also ordered a 1.75" to 2.5", 45 degree silicone elbow to replace the the 1.5" stuff but it won't be here for a few days.

Here are the elbows from the kit. They did not come with any clamps.
IMG_3568.JPG

And my Amazon ordered parts
IMG_3565.JPG

Elbow for the crossover pipe to turbo
IMG_3580.JPG
IMG_3579.JPG

Intake installed
IMG_3585.JPG
IMG_3586.JPG

Elbow for the hot side pipe
IMG_3598.JPG
IMG_3597.JPG

The Turbosmart Plumb Back should arrive tomorrow. With any luck I'll have it on the road for a test drive tomorrow evening!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This should've been a plug and play just like a Garrett...everything should be included and no dinging around for the buyer.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

felopr

Turbo and manifold are mated up and almost ready for install. Ran into a small issue though. My Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port is about 10mm longer than the Plumb Back version which is making it difficult to install the turbo intake elbow. So, the best option is to use a Turbosmart Plumb Back or use a block off plate and relocate the BOV. I have one other option I'm looking into. The stock BPV absolutely will not fit either.

View attachment 17685

View attachment 17686

View attachment 17687

By the looks of it, the new turbosmart EM bov wil fit barely

felopr

This should've been a plug and play just like a Garrett...everything should be included and no dinging around for the buyer.

I was thinking the same thing but i am gonna reserve my comment, he is using a cpe prototype manifold, we don't really know if it moves or doesn't move the turbo from "stock" location, unless someone can confirm...

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
guys, relax

Nick from AET asked me what to send with the kits
Just like the ATP 2860R kits the hot side pipe connects to the "oem pipe" every ATP kit I sell results in someone asking why it doesn't work with their Mishimoto, COBB, or cp-e hot side charge pipes
As for the connection for the turbo inlet to crossover, this is something that will have to be corrected

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #49
guys, relax

Nick from AET asked me what to send with the kits
Just like the ATP 2860R kits the hot side pipe connects to the "oem pipe" every ATP kit I sell results in someone asking why it doesn't work with their Mishimoto, COBB, or cp-e hot side charge pipes
As for the connection for the turbo inlet to crossover, this is something that will have to be corrected
I actually emailed Nick at AET this morning and CC'ed Ron. I just wanted to share my install experience with him so we can work to improve the kit. Since I'm one of the first to implement it on a USDM FiST I accepted the fact that it may need further development. Thankfully, the issues were definitely workable and correctable. Nick got back to me right away and seems very receptive and willing to work with Ron on updates moving forward.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #50
Turbosmart Plumb Back arrived this morning and is now installed. Still a tight fit with the silicone inlet elbow but it's acceptable. There's still plenty of area under the clamp to make a good seal.

IMG_3603.JPG

The 45 degree step up elbow (1.75" to 2.5") arrived this morning as well and after some trimming, the charge pipe fits great!

IMG_3604.JPG

IMG_3607.JPG

Next I'll be flashing the new base tune from Tune+, firing it up, checking for leaks, then going for a test drive!

Last edited:
OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #51
So far so good, no leaks or issues to report. First 2 datalogs are done and have been sent to Tune+ for review. Next steps will be to work through the revisions and move on to E30!

Very nice. Loving the write up so far. Interested in the performance and general feel. Are you running an LSD?

Looks like doing a BOV relocate is the best option. Too bad the cold side kits are so expensive (and I have the CP-E :p ).

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #54
Very nice. Loving the write up so far. Interested in the performance and general feel. Are you running an LSD?

Looks like doing a BOV relocate is the best option. Too bad the cold side kits are so expensive (and I have the CP-E :p ).
Yeah, I have an M-Factory LSD. I can't speak to performance and feel too much just yet; it's still very early in the tuning process and I'm currently on the initial custom tune. Wait a week or two when 91 octane tuning is done and I can give better feedback.

I would really like to do a CP-E and Tial or HKS BOV with a block off plate, and it did cross my mind, but I didn't want to buy more stuff than I needed right now. The Plumb Back is so quiet compared to the Dual Port but it actually feels smoother between shifts as far as turbo spool is concerned when getting back on the gas. Plus it's way more stealthy so I kinda like that too!

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #55
Still working the base tune this week. As it turns out the IWG actuator that came with the turbo is only yielding 10psi of boost (ranging from 10.4-10.8psi though the RPM range). Adam was expecting 13-14psi with an 11psi spring combined with a 3mm preload. This was because I reported having an 11psi IWG actuator to Adam before getting my base tune. When he noticed it was low he asked me to check the IWG preload.

I checked the preload yesterday and it was exactly 3mm, so knowing that one can reason the actuator has a 7-8psi spring installed. Adam recommended we go with a higher base pressure so we have flatter boost in the upper RPM range. I do have the Tune+ actuator from my stock turbo so I am going to try to install that this evening. The dimensions look very close so I'm hopeful it will go in without much trouble. If it doesn't work out for some reason then we will continue tuning with the current IWG actuator.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Still working the base tune this week. As it turns out the IWG actuator that came with the turbo is only yielding 10psi of boost (ranging from 10.4-10.8psi though the RPM range). Adam was expecting 13-14psi with an 11psi spring combined with a 3mm preload. This was because I reported having an 11psi IWG actuator to Adam before getting my base tune. When he noticed it was low he asked me to check the IWG preload.

I checked the preload yesterday and it was exactly 3mm, so knowing that one can reason the actuator has a 7-8psi spring installed. Adam recommended we go with a higher base pressure so we have flatter boost in the upper RPM range. I do have the Tune+ actuator from my stock turbo so I am going to try to install that this evening. The dimensions look very close so I'm hopeful it will go in without much trouble. If it doesn't work out for some reason then we will continue tuning with the current IWG actuator.

Can't you just take the spring out of one and put it into the other or is it a sealed unit?

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #57
Can't you just take the spring out of one and put it into the other or is it a sealed unit?

I would think so but it's much easier to swap them out IMO. If it comes to changing out the spring, then I may consider doing that. It looks like it would require a special spanner wrench at least.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Then you have to ding with getting the wastegate preload setup right!

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #59
Then you have to ding with getting the wastegate preload setup right!

To be fair, I don't have to change the actuator but to get the most out of the turbo, I should.

The preload was correct, but we thought the actuator had an 11psi spring instead of the 7-8psi spring.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If it was me...I'd see if I can change out just the spring and not have to deal with wastgate preload garbage with the shaft and nuts....yes i said shaft and nuts in the same sentence twice now.