Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

VT330R Hybrid Turbo Kit Install and Review

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Are you planning on pulling the motor for the install, or just enjoy the tight space?

I have a GTX2860R sitting here waiting for an LSD to happen. And am getting REALLY itchy
Just remove the cowl its not that bad man!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #22
Old turbo is out! Pulled out the topside. You def have to be patient and find just the right way out and it's not light, lol. Gonna prep the new turbo and manifold tonight and get everything ready to install in the morning. Total removal time was about 2.5 hours. Oh yeah, and the coolant goes everywhere but it was only about half a liter or so.

IMG_3541.JPG

IMG_3542.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeff

2000 Post Club
Nice I see you removed the manifold all at once that's the way to do it.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #24
Well, maybe it's a good thing I'm upgrading now....Just inspected the stock turbo and it appears to have noticeable shaft play. Enough to where it's evident the blades were just slightly starting to contacting the housing. This turbo has almost 90k miles.

I'm no expert on turbos but from what I have recently learned on the internet is that there are acceptable limits of shaft play, even on new turbos. I haven't had any issues with my stock turbo so it could be this is normal wear and by no means bad. I would need an expert opinion.

IMG_3546.JPG

IMG_3550.JPG

Last edited:

slopoke

Well, it's a good thing I'm upgrading now....Just inspected the stock turbo and it def has noticeable shaft play. Enough to where it's evident the blades were just slightly starting to contacting the housing. This turbo has almost 90k miles. I wonder if this can be rebuilt/upgraded?

How many miles on the turbo?

slopoke

I've heard others say yes, it's ok to reuse as long as it's not damaged.

At roughly $10.00 for a gasket sourced online, I'd get a new one. I checked Village Ford online and their price was $9.03 and apprx $5.00 shipping to the west coast. I ordered a evap line set from them and received it in less than a weeks time.

At roughly $10.00 for a gasket sourced online, I'd get a new one. I checked Village Ford online and their price was $9.03 and apprx $5.00 shipping to the west coast. I ordered a evap line set from them and received it in less than a weeks time.
Yeah I'll try to get one elsewhere. May as well put all new gaskets.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
K&N

There is some significate compressor wheel erosion going on there. If you increase the image size you can see the wear on the edges of the blades. They should be nice and sharp almost the edge of a knife. Generally caused by grit hitting the compressor wheel because its rotating at high speed.

Attachments

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #34
There is some significate compressor wheel erosion going on there. If you increase the image size you can see the wear on the edges of the blades. They should be nice and sharp almost the edge of a knife. Generally caused by grit hitting the compressor wheel because its rotating at high speed.
One thing I noticed when removing the my intake assembly was that upper clamp on the silicone coupler between my crossover pipe and the turbo intake elbow was not as tight as it should have been and there was some dirt/dust around perimeter of the clamping area. I think I may have been getting some dirt/dust ingestion there. There was also some build up of dirt inside the bend of the turbo elbow. It's possible some of the oil from the K&N filter gets pulled out gradually over time and coats the intake which attracts any dirt or dust that manages to make its way in through either a loose clamp or the 1% of dirt particles that get past the filter. All just a theory based on what I was seeing. I may try switching to a dry filter for awhile for comparison but I should also be checking my intake clamps more often.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Not unless you over oil the filter but it would hit the MAF and trust me...you know it when it does hit the MAF and you try to drive them it bucks and broncs like a prom date at the after party.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #36
Turbo and manifold are mated up and almost ready for install. Ran into a small issue though. My Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port is about 10mm longer than the Plumb Back version which is making it difficult to install the turbo intake elbow. So, the best option is to use a Turbosmart Plumb Back or use a block off plate and relocate the BOV. I have one other option I'm looking into. The stock BPV absolutely will not fit either.

IMG_3552.JPG

IMG_3553.JPG

IMG_3554.JPG

Last edited:

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Turbo and manifold are mated up and almost ready for install. Ran into a small issue though. My Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port is about 10mm longer than the Plumb Back version which is making it difficult to install the turbo intake elbow. So, the best option is to use a Turbosmart Plumb Back or use a block off plate and relocate the BOV. I'm have 1 other option I'm looking into. The stock BPV absolutely will not fit either.

View attachment 17685

View attachment 17686

View attachment 17687

The TS Plumb Back is pictured on the VT330R advertisement and they suggest not using the OEM BPV but have not indicated anywhere that I've seen that there would be issues using the dual port.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #38
The TS Plumb Back is pictured on the VT330R advertisement and they suggest not using the OEM BPV but have not indicated anywhere that I've seen that there would be issues using the dual port.
Yeah, it's just a clearance issue. I'll have to get the plumb back. I think I'll go ahead and install the turbo, I can always add the BPV when it comes in.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #39
Well, I have the manifold and turbo installed. The elbows that came with the kit won't work with my CP-E hot side charge pipe nor my RamAir crossover tube as is. I may be able to use my stock hot side charge pipes instead but I'll have to make an adapter for the crossover. I'll try and get that sorted out tomorrow by seeing what I can find locally.

IMG_3558.JPG

IMG_3560.JPG

koozy

3000 Post Club
I see you had to trim the top half of your heat shield. I can see how their elbow not work with the larger cpe hot side pipe, but what’s exactly the issue with their elbow not working with the Ramair crossover pipe?