Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

VT330R Hybrid Turbo Kit Install and Review

slopoke

I was considering the AET turbo but ended up with the REVO. Anyhow, when researching both turbos, it was recommended that the waste gate actuators on both the AET and REVO be changed. I got the TUNE+ Turbosmart unit.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #62
Some updates......I installed the Tune+ wastegate actuator yesterday and went for a test run but only hit 7psi. Adam said that is definitely not right, I should see at least 12psi so he said it sounds like a boost leak.

Knowing that, I decided to put the AET wastegate actuator back in but before doing so I needed to know exactly what spring is in there. It was actually pretty easy to take apart as long as you have a clamp or vise to put it in. There is, in fact, an 11psi spring inside as indicated by the Brown/Red paint markings.

IMG_3613.JPG

I went ahead and reassembled the actuator and installed it.

So now I get to figure out where I'm loosing boost pressure. I've been focusing on just the parts that I removed or worked on during the turbo install but tomorrow I'm going to make sure every clamp in the system is tight. If worse comes to worse, I may even get a boost leak tester. Not a bad tool to have around anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slopoke

Some updates......I installed the Tune+ wastegate actuator yesterday and went for a test run but only hit 7psi. Adam said that is definitely not right, I should see at least 12psi so he said it sounds like a boost leak.

Knowing that, I decided to put the AET wastegate actuator back in but before doing so I needed to know exactly what spring is in there. It was actually pretty easy to take apart as long as you have a clamp or vise to put it in. There is, in fact, an 11psi spring inside as indicated by the Brown/Red paint markings.

I went ahead and reassembled the actuator and installed it.

So now I get to figure out where I'm loosing boost pressure. I've been focusing on just the parts that I removed or worked on during the turbo install but tomorrow I'm going to make sure every clamp in the system is tight. If worse comes to worse, I may even get a boost leak tester. Not a bad tool to have around anyway.

With my very limited knowledge of turbo's. I thought that the boost pressure on the sense line side is the muscle that operates the actuator to open the IWG valve, thereby controlling boost. If there was a leak, would that lessen the pressure to operate the actuator and have too much boost? Maybe the valve on the turbo is not closing completely? Or a leak somewhere from the turbo compressor outlet to intake manifold? Just thinking out loud.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #64
With my very limited knowledge of turbo's. I thought that the boost pressure on the sense line side is the muscle that operates the actuator to open the IWG valve, thereby controlling boost. If there was a leak, would that lessen the pressure to operate the actuator and have too much boost? Maybe the valve on the turbo is not closing completely? Or a leak somewhere from the turbo compressor outlet to intake manifold? Just thinking out loud.
Your kinda close. I'll try to explain it as best I can at the moment but I'm still learning as well.

The wastegate actuator is mechanically attached to the internal wastegate flapper valve, which is located on the exhaust side of the turbine. When that flapper opens it allows exhaust to bypass the turbine, limiting speed of the turbine, which also limits the boost created on the compressor side.

The wastegate actuator is a linear actuator made of an internal spring and diaphragm. The electronic boost solenoid allows boost pressure to be added to the top of the actuator, pressing on the diaphragm and the spring, which increases pressure applied to the wastegate flapper. As long as the flapper is closed, the turbine will spin faster, creating more boost. So, the wastegate flapper is held closed by mechanical spring pressure and boost pressure applied to the diaphragm. You can customize the wastegate spring to achieve your minimum boost level which occurs when the exhaust flow overcomes the spring pressure applied by the wastegate actuator without air pressure applied to the diaphragm.

This is a baseline tune so we're running purely on spring pressure so we know what base boost we are starting with. Spring pressure plus preload should yield an expected boost pressure, which we are not at just yet. For example, 11psi spring + preload of 3mm should yield 13-14 psi according to my tuner.

Currently, I am seeing around 12psi on my 3rd gear datalogs.

Last edited:
OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #66
Could be a leak before the turbo. How certain are you of the manifolds mating surfaces being truly plane?
Nothing really stood out as far as the mating surfaces, nothing visible anyway. I haven't noticed any exhaust leaks either.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Besides the manifold you've touched and gone over every other part. What's left? faulty turbo wastegate flapper valve?

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #68
Besides the manifold you've touched and gone over every other part. What's left? faulty turbo wastegate flapper valve?
Really nothing left to go over parts wise; I've done all the adjusting, checking, and tightening I can think of. I mean, everything before and after the turbo is aftermarket and I've never really had an issue with my installs.

I plan to get to the bottom of it but it'll take more time. I'm going to order a boost leak tester so I can either A) find the leak, or B) rule out a boost leak altogether and go from there.

slopoke

Does your system use a vent to atmosphere or recirculating BOV? Maybe that could be leaking?

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #70
Does your system use a vent to atmosphere or recirculating BOV? Maybe that could be leaking?
It's a brand new Turbosmart Plumb Back. I removed it to inspect it and the mating surfaces inside the turbo and I could see impressions left from where the o-ring was making contact so it should be sealing. Not sure if I'll be able to hear it leaking or not once I get around to doing a static boost leak test.

jeff

2000 Post Club
It's a brand new Turbosmart Plumb Back. I removed it to inspect it and the mating surfaces inside the turbo and I could see impressions left from where the o-ring was making contact so it should be sealing. Not sure if I'll be able to hear it leaking or not once I get around to doing a static boost leak test.

Bro I gotta hand it to you, your patience is exemplary here. I've been following this thread with its ups and downs. If this happened to me I'd strangle a kitten out of frustration. Looking forward to the results of your very patient work here!

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #72
Bro I gotta hand it to you, your patience is exemplary here. I've been following this thread with its ups and downs. If this happened to me I'd strangle a kitten out of frustration. Looking forward to the results of your very patient work here!
Thanks man, it's been frustrating at times for sure but I've also been learning quite a bit about wastegate actuators and how they operate. So while it's been a long road so far, I've been gaining valuable knowledge due to having to work through these problems.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #73
I decided to order the ITG cross-over intake pipe from AET Motorsports last night. It's the one they recommend so I would like to see for myself how it fits with the VT330R. This way I can do a side-by-side comparison with the RamAir cross-over as well.

IMG_3617.JPG

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #77
Wow, that was fast! ITG Crossover and oil plug received!

Of course, I did pay £55 ($73) for shipping.

Wow, that was fast! ITG Crossover and oil plug received!

Of course, I did pay £55 ($73) for shipping.

Im sorry, but is that 2 days to get from across the pond to here???? Even with the money spent for it, I'm impressed.