Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wheel "knock"

Since installing my TBPerformance stage 3 (traction bar, torsion bar, crossmember brace, trunk brace) I've had a sort of "knock" that seems to be coming from one (maybe both) front wheel when starting from a stand still. It doesn't happen all the time and it doesn't seem to happen more on fast or slow acceleration.

I have checked a couple of times under the car in case I installed a bar wrong, but everything seems fine. I had the alignment checked and they said it was perfect.

The car feels perfectly fine otherwise and I don't feel anything when I hear this knock.

The only other thing I can think of would be the brakes "sticking" to the rotors and the sound I hear is them getting unstuck when the wheel start turning. I have the HPS5.0 with StopTech slotted rotors. I don't see why they would start doing that after installing the traction bar though.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I have a Pierce lower 4 point brace that made loud popping noises on frame stress. The fix for it was to loosen the bolts up, flex the car a bit (drive over a pothole or two) and then torque everything while the wheels are still carrying the whole weight of the car. Dunno if a similar method might fix your issue.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
sounds like wheel hop to me. It is caused by the rapid application of force to the bushings resulting in an equal and opposite reaction force putting the bushing into oscillation. This gets transmitted to the tire and amplified in the form of wheel hop. It makes a knocking sound until the oscillations settle down and the tires gain traction. The solution is less acceleration force, i.e. a smoother take-off, or stiffer bushings. I install urethane bushings in all of my torque mounts on FWD cars and urethane or steel bushings at the rear control arms on RWD cars. This is to counteract the high amounts of torque being applied at a rapid rate. Wheel hop is pretty much eliminated on all cars by doing this.

I have the same brake setup and it is not the brakes causing this.

Did you follow the torque spec for the traction bar? A bunch of people have over-torqued it and it caused noise issues. I believe it was 115 ft lbs when I did mine and I have 0 noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
What year and how many miles on the car?
Have you changed the front springs or struts?

Dave