Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Reasonable solutions for traction and torque steer on daily driver Stage 1 car

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
For tires, I hear 215/40/17 fit fine, but just need to wear through these very decent Pilot Sport A/S 3's first, then maybe a 215/40/17 in the Federal 595, or even some cheap sticky all seasons, we'll see, as I do need a decent cold rain tire too... I just wish the Ford system could be set to Sport Mode by default, I hate having to remember to push the button EVERY time I simply don't want the stock system to kick in before the Stratified... And the RMM is a 75a, a little stiffer than Cobb and if after a couple of weeks of settling it still has too much vibe for me I'll have Stratified modify my tune for 1000 RPM idle... But also, since I do havea '17 with the bidder front sway bar, stiffer/thicker rear torsion, hopefully won't have to mess with much else than the traction bar!
When I hear cheap sticky all seasons- the Nitto Neogen is the first thing that comes to mind. They’re surprisingly sticky. I paid $76 a tire if I remember correctly. The only thing I don’t like about them is the squishy side wall.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Here's a video I made that explains and demonstrates the custom TC dialed into a tune. Spinning the tires is fun but in my case it got old after awhile so I prefer the TC.

At the end of this video you will see TC in action. It's very useful on the street, I go in 2nd gear from 30 to 60mph in about 3 seconds with no hiccups. It really helps in those sort of situations, it's nice to be able to floor it in 2nd gear and actually go somewhere.

[video=youtube;f0UzpTzeJgY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0UzpTzeJgY&t=1s[/video]

I had a shock tower brace for a few weeks. Then I installed meister r coilovers front and back. Then got an alignment. A month later i put on a piece 4 point up front.

It lived up to expectations, if not more.

HBEcoBeaST

I had a shock tower brace for a few weeks. Then I installed meister r coilovers front and back. Then got an alignment. A month later i put on a piece 4 point up front.

It lived up to expectations, if not more.
Do you have to get an alignment after the 4pt install? Really considering it over the 2pt

Still running the strut brace? I know some platforms it makes a difference but haven't heard any good reviews for ours.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It depends how you install it.

I used Amazon ramps to help preload the subframe before tightening all the bolts. 40k miles later and a few final alignments I have no issues to report. I'm really happy with the investment. .

I'll eventually swap control arms but that's notably due to broken asphalt. I drive in Detroit. [wrenchin]

Here's a video I made that explains and demonstrates the custom TC dialed into a tune. Spinning the tires is fun but in my case it got old after awhile so I prefer the TC.

At the end of this video you will see TC in action. It's very useful on the street, I go in 2nd gear from 30 to 60mph in about 3 seconds with no hiccups. It really helps in those sort of situations, it's nice to be able to floor it in 2nd gear and actually go somewhere.

[video=youtube;f0UzpTzeJgY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0UzpTzeJgY&t=1s[/video]
Holy hell that is a fast pull! You need to stop posting these....I've convinced myself to stick with stock turbo. These don't help [ridinghorse]

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27

Yes, that is for Cobb's which doesn't have an "optimal" setting, you have to try to figure out one yourself, with a range of 1-8, it's set for 4 by default... Stratified's version is much more fine tuned and with the default setting of "1" it's equal to a manual setting of a 4.5...1 is optimal, 2 is least amount of slip up to an 8 that allows the most slip. I'm already very happy I chose the option when I ordered my Stratified tune!

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
Good tires and a brace really help. The 2pt Pierce I've driven and torque steer and wheel hop is greatly reduced but not eliminated. If the wheel is turned even the slightest and you mash the throttle expect to still wrestle the wheel a bit. I'm looking into their 4pt for my needs.

And for what it's worth the rear torsion bar does keep the back planted better than stock. Very noticeable in auto-x or parking lot cone style events. Around town? Not so much.

I've only driven with the braces on my friend's stage 3 running 91oct. My own car makes quite a bit more torque (and possibly hp) since I'm E30. I would not feel adequate with the 2pt if eliminating torque steer was my main goal. I'm looking into a 4pt since I get a ton of wheel hop with my cheap 380AA all seasons.

I am not a fan of electronic TC at all. Faster? Maybe. But less fun (for me).
'16+ got a much stiffer rear torsion beam, I've had no problems keeping it planted, no hop over corners unlike my previous car...

There are different flavors of traction control with HUGE differences... The stock Ford system uses fuel cut with massive obtrusion, while Cobb's system is timing controlled, far less obtrusive and Stratified refined it even further and has an amazing optimal setting by default that works wonders... If you think just spinning your tires and possibly ending up in a ditch is fun, good for you, but I bought a performance car to go and not spin and crash, LOL... Apologies in advance if you have already tried the different versions and hate them all, otherwise you can't make such a blanket statement.

jeff

2000 Post Club
I was going a step farther and pointing out that a tuner can customize the TC to an unlimited number of options to suit your needs, not just 8.

But it sounds like you found the perfect match, bravo! Keep us updated on your improvements as discussed.

Yes, that is for Cobb's which doesn't have an "optimal" setting, you have to try to figure out one yourself, with a range of 1-8, it's set for 4 by default... Stratified's version is much more fine tuned and with the default setting of "1" it's equal to a manual setting of a 4.5...1 is optimal, 2 is least amount of slip up to an 8 that allows the most slip. I'm already very happy I chose the option when I ordered my Stratified tune!

HBEcoBeaST

'16+ got a much stiffer rear torsion beam, I've had no problems keeping it planted, no hop over corners unlike my previous car...

There are different flavors of traction control with HUGE differences... The stock Ford system uses fuel cut with massive obtrusion, while Cobb's system is timing controlled, far less obtrusive and Stratified refined it even further and has an amazing optimal setting by default that works wonders... If you think just spinning your tires and possibly ending up in a ditch is fun, good for you, but I bought a performance car to go and not spin and crash, LOL... Apologies in advance if you have already tried the different versions and hate them all, otherwise you can't make such a blanket statement.
Ok my blanket statement about TC was strongly worded. I hate the OEM traction control, strongly dislike Cobb's, haven't tried Stratifieds on anything comparable so thats unfair. I really like the 'feel' of this car and cutting/limiting power doesn't feel natural to me.

I respect others preferences just not for me. I've been spoiled enough to drive Ferraris and once you've experienced their TC nothing will feel the same. (I know, totally different league)

In this FWD platform I am not worrying about doing a burnout into a ditch/crowd or high speed oversteer, I also don't floor it mid turn. A 4 or 6pt brace and LSD are my endgame for me w/ a hybrid turbo.

I think these traction bars and stiffer RMM are great for what the OP wants. I'm just curious how livable and different 2pt vs the 6pt as a daily or if it crashes around like some stiff cars.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #31
I was going a step farther and pointing out that a tuner can customize the TC to an unlimited number of options to suit your needs, not just 8.

But it sounds like you found the perfect match, bravo! Keep us updated on your improvements as discussed.
Yeah, it's nice it worked out that way, but you make a good point, it really can be dialed in quite fine tuned, almost everyone could benefit from it with so many settings! It's all about hooking up better to start with, then TC in a more aggressive setting may work well for you too.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32
Ok my blanket statement about TC was strongly worded. I hate the OEM traction control, strongly dislike Cobb's, haven't tried Stratifieds on anything comparable so thats unfair. I really like the 'feel' of this car and cutting/limiting power doesn't feel natural to me.

I respect others preferences just not for me. I've been spoiled enough to drive Ferraris and once you've experienced their TC nothing will feel the same. (I know, totally different league)

In this FWD platform I am not worrying about doing a burnout into a ditch/crowd or high speed oversteer, I also don't floor it mid turn. A 4 or 6pt brace and LSD are my endgame for me w/ a hybrid turbo.

I think these traction bars and stiffer RMM are great for what the OP wants. I'm just curious how livable and different 2pt vs the 6pt as a daily or if it crashes around like some stiff cars.
Well said, you came back with good points... I just think a more aggressive setting still can benefit most people against it, especially Stratified's... but I'm here and started this thread because I *don't* want to rely on it much either, so I'm with you man! I would love to get a mechanical diff, but I think you have to at least also give up ABS to kill off the factory torque vectoring completely, which I'm not willing to do.... Perhaps you've researched it more, does a mechanical diff being automatic help *prevent* the torque vectoring from kicking in to begin with or do you have to disable that completely?

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #33
OK guys, got the Torque Solutions 75a mount in... Wow, much less added vibration than I thought, even with AC on so I think I'm going to cancel my raise the idle RPM order with Stratified and get credit towards the new 4.0 tune update! Thanks to everyone here for their input, I can't spend any more on the car for a while, but I can already tell I'm going to want to try the Traction bar next! But with the short shift kit and RMM in, I finally feel I have the car that matches the tune at least!

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
OK guys, got the Torque Solutions 75a mount in... Wow, much less added vibration than I thought, even with AC on so I think I'm going to cancel my raise the idle RPM order with Stratified and get credit towards the new 4.0 tune update! Thanks to everyone here for their input, I can't spend any more on the car for a while, but I can already tell I'm going to want to try the Traction bar next! But with the short shift kit and RMM in, I finally feel I have the car that matches the tune at least!
Nice. What short shift kit are you using?

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #35
Nice. What short shift kit are you using?
Mojo Manufacturing... very small company, may be this one guy Garret, a fellow FiST'r who CNC's them himself... it's very much like the FSWerks but with only the 25% option and cost only $50, very impressive!

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
Well, torque steer isn't much improved but traction is for sure... noticed my car is getting a little darty, tracks with the road on it's own a bit, but I think I noticed that before too.. wonder what that could be?

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Mojo Manufacturing... very small company, may be this one guy Garret, a fellow FiST'r who CNC's them himself... it's very much like the FSWerks but with only the 25% option and cost only $50, very impressive!
Oh that’s right, you started a thread with the link. Sounds like you’re off to a good start; hopefully Garrett will manufacture these parts again soon.

Quisp

1000 Post Club

True .Tune + set my default setting and tc on. Isn't that what stratified does just set the Cobb tc settings ?

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #40
True .Tune + set my default setting and tc on. Isn't that what stratified does just set the Cobb tc settings ?
Stratified takes Cobb's ignition based and refines it much further... Instead of Cobb, which uses a straight 1 (least slip) to 8 (most slip allowed) for their settings, Stratified uses setting 1 as "optimal, then 2 as least slip to 8... From their charts the optimal setting is about a 4.5 on their scale and I find it allows plenty of wheel spin... Now with the RMM in, I'm not seeing it kick in slightly in the middle of full pulls now and i'm getting much more tire squeal instead of wheel hop launching, pretty happy so far!