Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Strengths

OP
speed_easy
Thread Starter #3
As in do you think that awd or rwd is faster?

I'd argue it depends on th track. Fwd ftw

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Alot of people underestimate the overall performance of the FiST....it takes alot of people by surprise because it is still in the end a Fiesta!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
speed_easy
Thread Starter #5
It is still a fiesta, yes. One still proud individual.

Best economy silhouette ever.

Balance, the way it drives, cheap all around. Cheap to maintain, cheap to mod, cheap to insure, cheap to buy
Yeah - this is my take as well. For $20k-ish new, the most fun I could buy while maintaining some practicality (back seat, hatch, 25+ MPG, warranty, etc).

I'd say:
Nimbleness, affordability, performance, style.
Their ecotec engines are also pretty good and reliable.

It's fuel efficient, but could have done better (20% larger overdrive gear would have easily worked out an average of ~10-20% gain in MPG).
I wouldn't buy this if fuel efficiency is your aim. There are plenty of more fuel efficient cars on the market for the price.
I've seen a Hyundai Elantra, with way less corrosion on the chassis than the Fiesta ST. It's not an old rust box, but it does have some corrosion in areas where a lot of salt on the roads is used.

It's a blend between a track car and a street car.
Because I have ridden many motorcycles of 800cc and up, even sports bikes, the acceleration is not scaring me; but so far, I find it has a nimble character, rather than a thrilling ride.
It turns wonderfully in corners though, enough oversteer to keep the nose pointed in the right direction!

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I'd say:
Nimbleness, affordability, performance, style.
Their ecotec engines are also pretty good and reliable.

It's fuel efficient, but could have done better (20% larger overdrive gear would have easily worked out an average of ~10-20% gain in MPG).
I wouldn't buy this if fuel efficiency is your aim. There are plenty of more fuel efficient cars on the market for the price.
I've seen a Hyundai Elantra, with way less corrosion on the chassis than the Fiesta ST. It's not an old rust box, but it does have some corrosion in areas where a lot of salt on the roads is used.

It's a blend between a track car and a street car.
Because I have ridden many motorcycles of 800cc and up, even sports bikes, the acceleration is not scaring me; but so far, I find it has a nimble character, rather than a thrilling ride.
It turns wonderfully in corners though, enough oversteer to keep the nose pointed in the right direction!
Ecotec is GM.

Anyway, AutoX is the FiSTs main strength. I don’t know all the classes, but as a mostly stock car, it can hold its on very well in the stock class, or so I’ve been told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol!
Ecotec, ecoboost... Nearly the same technology.
I just looked it up, and on average, Chevy tunes for low RPM torque, allowing for greater gas mileage (~+5-7MPG), and does mostly small engines,
while ford tunes theirs in the higher RPM range, allowing for more torque and HP, but with a little more lag.

For the Fiesta ST, the 1.6 liter, even without the turbo is good enough to pull the car pretty nifty.
In Europe they actually sell standard fiestas with 1 to 1.5 liter engines (non turbo).
So the 'lag' is mostly unnoticeable.
If GM would have built the Fiesta ST with an Ecotec engine, they would have it kick in around 2k RPM, top speed of ~120MPH ~175HP, but with higher torque figures across the line (flatter torque response).
I would guess this would be the case.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Lol!
I just looked it up, and on average, Chevy tunes for low RPM torque, allowing for greater gas mileage (~+5-7MPG), and does mostly small engines,
while ford tunes theirs in the higher RPM range, allowing for more torque and HP, but with a little more lag.

For the Fiesta ST, the 1.6 liter, even without the turbo is good enough to pull the car pretty nifty.
In Europe they actually sell standard fiestas with 1 to 1.5 liter engines (non turbo).
If GM would have built the Fiesta ST with an Ecotec engine, they would have it kick in around 2k RPM, top speed of ~120MPH ~175HP, but with higher torque figures across the line (flatter torque response).
I have a non-turbo Fiesta SE. It’s a dog...probably the slowest modern car I’ve ever driven aside from a Chevy Spark that I rented once.

Also, every datalog and dyno disprove what you’re saying. And on top of that, “Ford tunes theirs in the higher RPM range...” What? That statement makes no sense at all.

LILIKE16ST

These cars specialize in torque lol. With a stock turbo and a good e30 tune you can stay above 200 torque to the tires till beyond 5000 rpm and it can make 300+ in the 3000 rpm area...I would say that is a pretty good torque curve for a small stock turbo lol. As far as strengths it corners well and is very nimble and is able to rotate the rear well even stock. It is cheap all around as noted above and it gets pretty good mpg for what it is. It isn't a hybrid mpg wise but for the power it makes its very respectable in that aspect. I've averaged 28 mpg on e30 since February overall (stratified).

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Lol!

The 1.0 is a turbo.

I have a non-turbo Fiesta SE. It’s a dog...probably the slowest modern car I’ve ever driven aside from a Chevy Spark that I rented once.

Also, every datalog and dyno disprove what you’re saying. And on top of that, “Ford tunes theirs in the higher RPM range...” What? That statement makes no sense at all.

Just Google for Ecotec vs Ecoboost, and there are a few websites noting that.
My Cruze started having boost at 1.75k RPM, 2,5k RPM under normal acceleration.
The Fiesta starts having boost around 2.1k RPM, 3k RPM under normal acceleration.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Just Google for Ecotec vs Ecoboost, and there are a few websites noting that.
My Cruze started having boost at 1.75k RPM, 2,5k RPM under normal acceleration.
The Fiesta starts having boost around 2.1k RPM, 3k RPM under normal acceleration.
A quick search did not reveal what you’re claiming. So, let me ask you this... Can you quantify those claims?

Define normal acceleration by pedal % at a load (we can just use gear at rpm for ease).

Because I can apply 10% pedal in 2nd gear, call it “normal acceleration” and produce X boost at X rpm. I could also be in 5th gear and apply 10% and produce much more boost than in 2nd gear.

I assume you’ve got datalogs from your Cruze to back up your claims? Or are you just making stuff up?

Normal acceleration is the way most cars accelerate in traffic.
The higher the load, the earlier the boost kicks in.
There's no real 'treshold' where the boost kicks in.
I just rate it where I start noticing the boost. Butt dyno, if you may.
Below 3k RPM, the FiST doesn't really boost, unless I press the pedal beyond (about 25%) where the Sound Symphoser box starts making more noise (another one of those things where there is no real treshold).

Just in case you didn't know how to google 'ecotec vs ecoboost', I did it for you:
http://bfy.tw/I9JA

First result is the article I mentioned before.
You will have to click it to read it, just in case you forgot to do that before commenting that the search didn't reveal anything..

You can thank me later!

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Normal acceleration is the way most cars accelerate in traffic.
The higher the load, the earlier the boost kicks in.
There's no real 'treshold' where the boost kicks in.
I just rate it where I start noticing the boost. Butt dyno, if you may.
Below 3k RPM, the FiST doesn't really boost, unless I press the pedal beyond (about 25%) where the Sound Symphoser box starts making more noise (another one of those things where there is no real treshold).

Just in case you didn't know how to google 'ecotec vs ecoboost', I did it for you:
http://bfy.tw/I9JA

First result is the article I mentioned before.
You will have to click it to read it, just in case you forgot to do that before commenting that the search didn't reveal anything..

You can thank me later!
Yeah, I read that article actually. They don’t discuss the tech that goes into them. They talk about available engine sizes, configurations, basic turbo knowledge and what engines go in which cars.

Also, if you don’t have a boost gauge, or are logging in some way, how do you know where boost is coming in?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Once again.

Please play nice!!!

Sometimes it is best to just walk away.

Dave