Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

when is first service?

Manual says 10k miles,
But when do I do the first oil change? Am I to ride 10k miles on the stock oil?

I personally changed my oil after approx. 1500 KMs (break in period) and plan to do my oil changes and services every 5k with synthetic oil. Mind you I run my car hard.

"Service" means more than just the oil/filter change. And sure, you coooould wait until 10k for your first oil change. But I don't think you will find anyone in here that will recommend that. These are finely tuned little beasts and oil changes aren't all that costly in the grand scheme of things. Do some searching in the forums and you will find some very heated debates on types of oil and change interval. I'd say the only general consensus is about every 5k miles at the most. More often if you are working your car pretty hard. But you could also pay for an oil analysis if you really want to know what might work best for your car/environment/oil type, etc.

Personally, I did my first at about 1.2k, second at about 3.5k (both of those were at dealer), and last at about 6.5k (I did this one with full synthetic). At this point, I only put about 5k miles on my car a year, so will probably do only one change a year.

OP
P
Thread Starter #4
My Chevy Cruze had a recommended oil change interval of 8k miles.
If I used Synthetic, it would last about 6k miles, before I noticed the engine idling rougher, and I would change.
With Dexos oil, it lasted 8k miles.
With regular, it lasted 3k miles.

I wonder if there are any who have tried dexos oil on their FiST?
It's a recommended oil for small turbo cars.

redmoe

I did my first oil change at 900 miles then, 2500 and every 3k after that. The factory filter is a pain to get off! I think they torque it in at the plant.

Every 3k on synthetic is a little wasteful but with heat and dust here in Az I figure it’s cheap insurance.

I did my first change at 500 miles to get that break in oil out of there. After that I've been doing 5k intervals ever since, did motorcraft syn blend until 10k and have been running castrol edge since that. (currently at 32k)