Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turn off cigarette lighter plug when the car turns off?

Is there a way to do it?

My dashcam is connected to it, and is currently recording even when the car is off.

Use one of the ports inside the armrest. I also have a dashcam and had the same issue. Thankfully, the USB ports power down along with the car.

OP
P
Thread Starter #3
Will have to check if my cable will reach; but thanks for that suggestion!

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
There are ways to do it, but it requires rewiring the power wire or ground for the cigarette lighter through a relay. You would use use an add-a-fuse on the windshield wiper fuse (or another 12V source switched with the ignition) to energize the coil in the relay. At that point though, you might as well wire in a new cigarette lighter behind the glove box and hardwire the dashcam into that.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
For the 2016, the front outlet turns on/off with the ignition. The rear outlet turn off is delayed for approximately ten minutes.

Many dash cams have a built in battery and shock sensor that will power them for some time after ignition-off. This is by design so that they capture hit and runs. My prior vehicle was hit and run three times. My Brother's vehicles four times.

OP
P
Thread Starter #6
What do you mean with 'the front outlets'?
The one that's near the gearstick remains on, not sure if it turns off after 10 min though, I haven't been in my car long enough to verify.

Bluedrank

The one behind the center console turns off after 10 minutes. That's what I use since it keeps the dashcam up for a bit. It caught a hit and run.

OP
P
Thread Starter #10
I always keep forgetting.

I have the 2017 model.
I don't think the cigarette lighter plug turns off, as this morning I had 13 hours of recording on my dashcam.
I'll have to either switch it to the back, or in the armrest.
Would be awesome if I could see my dashcam recordings on the radio though [:)]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If you open a door, do the lights stay on for ten minutes and then turn off?
My rear outlet cuts off with the lights. This function greatly reduces parasitic drain on your battery; the kind of drain that has people complaining that their vehicle won't start if left to sit for one or two weeks.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhsZJDCN8kMMgaQVTsf_HsnWWwA9Xg
The R9 relay there, labeled "Accessory Delay", I suspect is what clicks as the outlet looses power.

OP
P
Thread Starter #12
On my 2017, the lights turn off when you close the door again.
The radio stays on for about 10 minutes, when you turn off the engine, but don't turn off the radio.

I just haven't had the time to verify exactly what the lighter plugs do, but the one on the gearstick stays on permanently.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just tried it in my '17, and the rear 12v turns off after a while. The front doesn't seem to.