Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hotside pipe keeps popping off at the turbo

LILIKE16ST

As the title states I've had trouble with the hotside charge pipe popping off at the turbo. I am running a stratified e30 tune and depo intercooler and charge pipes. I've using the supplied tbolt clamps that came with the charge pipes. I've had the car little over two years and the intercooler had been on for a year and a half or so and until the last couple weeks I've never had a charge pipe pop off before stock or since I've installed the depo stuff and it's now happened 3 different times in a two week span.

It all started to happen after I installed my cpe intake. I was trying to get the intake coupler on the turbo and there isn't much room to work there as you know and I finally got it fitted after alot of pushing and wiggling of the coupler. I'm thinking maybe this is some of what started the issue somehow but I'm not certain. Anyways I've also noticed the weld broke on the little tab that bolts to the side of the trans and is no longer welded to the hot side pipe itself but the tab is still bolted to the trans. I'm unsure if this happened prior to the hose popping off the first time or if the weld broke when the hose did pop off the first time. The first two times I just pushed the pipe back into the turbo side coupler and retightened the tbolt clamp. However today when I put it back on I wiped the oil clean from the pipe and put some hair spray on the part of the pipe that goes into the coupler and I pushed it in best I could and retightened the tbolt clamp as I've heard hair spray really helps hold it on. It seems pretty secure but then again it seemed pretty secure the first two times I tightened it as well. It may hold now but after it coming off two times prior to this within two weeks I don't have alot of confidence in it holding just yet.

My question is could this partly be due to the fact that the pipe is no longer secured to the trans via the little tab on the side of the charge pipe due to the weld on it breaking allowing more movement? I really don't want to take off the front clip again to remove the pipe to fix it but if it needs to be done then so be it. Could it possibly be welded back while still on the car? This is getting pretty frustrating. Each time it does it under hard acceleration and high boost...it doesn't ease off resulting in a boost leak first it goes from full boost to POW there goes the charge pipe off again all at once. As I mentioned I wiped the oil from the pipe and coupler this time unlike the last two times and also put hairspray on the pipe where it goes into the coupler. Maybe this will help it stay on maybe it wont. I'd really like to get this issue resolved because right now it's making me question getting into high boost situations for fear of the pipe going pop again. Thanks in advance for any help resolving this!!

*edit* I've been running the 88d awr rmm since before the issue started so that should allow for alot less engine movement than stock

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What type of clamps are you running? Screw clamps....t-bolt clamps....constant tension clamps? Did you inspect the pipe to make sure it was clean?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Aquanet hair spray and T clamps (after cleaning the area). It won’t come off again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
LILIKE16ST

LILIKE16ST

Thread Starter #5
What type of clamps are you running? Screw clamps....t-bolt clamps....constant tension clamps? Did you inspect the pipe to make sure it was clean?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Tbolt clamps that were supplied in the depo charge pipe kit I got. The first two times I did not wipe anything off the pipe and the oil on it probably make it slide off...this time I wiped the oil clean and put a decent amount of hairspray on the pipe...so far so good

OP
LILIKE16ST

LILIKE16ST

Thread Starter #6
Aquanet hair spray and T clamps (after cleaning the area). It won’t come off again.

I been using tbolt clamps and this time I wiped the area clean and put a decent amount of Aussie instant freeze hairspray on (borrowed some from my gf). I did not clean the area with soap but I did wipe the oil off with a rag real good and put hairspray all around the pipe where it goes into the coupler...hopefully that did the trick so far so good.

So you guys don't think the fact that the broken weld on the tab that bolts to the tranny has anything to do with it? Is that necessarily that big of a deal? I don't really care long as the charge pipe don't pop off lol.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I been using tbolt clamps and this time I wiped the area clean and put a decent amount of Aussie instant freeze hairspray on (borrowed some from my gf). I did not clean the area with soap but I did wipe the oil off with a rag real good and put hairspray all around the pipe where it goes into the coupler...hopefully that did the trick so far so good.

So you guys don't think the fact that the broken weld on the tab that bolts to the tranny has anything to do with it? Is that necessarily that big of a deal? I don't really care long as the charge pipe don't pop off lol.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it pops off again. If it does it is imperative that you degrease the mating areas prior to using the hair spray. Also, you MUST crank on the T-bolt...like, it should get hot.

As far as the mounting area goes, I don’t think it’s a big deal.