Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Amazing things I learned about tire sizes from Rick aka RAAMaudio

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
All but the Goodyears, some are slicks, some are DOT rated but only in name, some I have used on the street like R888 and some others, I have also ran V700, V710, more that I cannot recall at the moment, whatever tire met the needs of the car and events. I had a very modified Forester XT that I had a nice set of forged wheels for summer with something very stick, STI wheels with some of the best high performance snow tires, wide Enkei NTO3 with 285 probably R888 for track and a wider set with 305 V710 for autocross. Again, picking the tires to the rules, wants, setup, use, etc.....problem with the Forester I had the handling and brakes, cooling, etc really sorted out, full JDM running gear, good coilovers, Stoptechs, etc...but power was not enough and it cost a fortune to build a good engine which is still pretty much a grenade and I needed a year round car so we parted ways. Next car was a C5 Z06 full race car on wide R6 tires. Then several other cars, some on race tires, some on sticky street, some with both....sold it all off, bought a toyhauler and dually and the ST which in many ways is one of the most fun projects I have done, many DIY parts, many firsts on this car, have had stock tires, 273 miles, Mich AS/3, NeoGen, Rival S, NeoGen and was planning to run probably A7 for time attack events. Now I just have the NeoGen and Rival S.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I REALLY like the Enkei NT-03s, and if I ever have the chance to procure a C6 Z06, those (as long as they still make the y body PCD/offsets/widths), along with the CCW C10s, would be the wheels it gets! ;)

There were some people on the FRRAX site who also had Foresters setup for road racing, and I always though those were cool, but yeah I can see how the power could be a problem, when the boxer has to move that heft around, and push basically a brick through the air. :(

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The C5 race car came with 3 sets of CCW classics but I sold them when I bought the C6 Z06 race body as planned to go to wider wheels and tires. I have had a set of the C10 wheels, actually forgetting what I had them on...On the C6 vert widebody I had CCW build a set of 11x18 F and 13x18 rear SP16A, polished which I did not know would be fully polished, even the back of the spokes, beautiful but a maintenanace nightmare. I decided I would put them on the C5 chassis I was getting ready to stretch 16" to fit under the 53 Stud body, I called it the Studevette project. The fronts were going to be a pretty nice fit, the rears just needed a tiny bit of fender flare. I started the project using 24 scale model cars of each which was a great visual help. The first set of wheels for the Vert were Iforged 3 piece I ordered new barrels for to make them wide enough but they were pretty heavy, good thing I bought them used as list price was around $7500, got them for half with new tires, sold them when I ordered the CCW SP16A which I liked far better and far less weight. The CCWs cost around $2600 shipped, expensive but not compared to the other mono block wheels on the market. John there is a very cool guy, I learned that each set of dies cost $50k, had over 200 sets, only three places in the country could do the forging, all use the same alloy, paying more was paying far to much from other brands.

Those days are long past, I could do it again if I wanted to make that kind of money but I like being retired and just goofing off, reading tons of books, walking along the river with my wonderful lady, soon I will have a little shop again, 8x12 I am building, not quite big enough to build up cars but I am very cool with it:)

--------
Just remembered, my buddy had C10 on his C5 with C6 body race car, two buddies actually, I was going to run them on the C5, I never had them myself.

I also like to say I have learned my place, during my most serious race car build I organized an indoor kart series during the winter, points, prizes, trophies, great fun. Even if I got the fastest kart I would end up in the back of the pack as we had pro drivers, instructors, national champs show up...I am much better than most but I am not at their level. I was building a $100k race car not counting all the spares, race costs, etc...and was doing all the work to build it, maintain it and was going to have to hire a driver....I pulled the plug when reality set in.

I had a great income but far from rich, I was "car poor" to say the least.

Now I am just a bit on the poor side but much happier, really:)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
My XT was built for all around use, ski car, grocery getter, pick up guests at the airport, then I got a bit nuts, $30k later, around 280WHP and ft lbs, it was very fast on track but at MMP on the full course it would hit right at 122 on the two longer straights and only 128 on the main straight half way down it...it was still fast enough for the head instructor to come down from the tower to check it out, said he was shocked a little SUV was so fast as my lap times were quite good. I told him it was done, it was going to cost another $30k for the engine, tune, JDM more aero nose....and be a $90k forster with a ticking time bomb engine, just made no sense at all.

I loved that car though, took second place in pro tour style autocross in SM, did a 1.6 60ft on a parking lot, got a standing ovation on my last run which I have never seen happen before.

Then I got bored with AWD, just to easy, I like the challenge of making a FWD much more so, the ST is my third FWD build and the fastest by far but my others did amazingly well. When the owner of the ST1 national champ vette comes up to you and says he is blown away he could not gain on me in the Attitudes at MMP even though he practially runs over most race cars there then looked down and said "on street tires!" I was pretty proud to say the least:) Funny he called heat cycled, shaved, RA1 street tires though, to him they are I suppose.

I was running the prototype of the first Cyborg turbo, relatively small IC, etc...5 seconds faster than another buddies national champ Spec Miata and 4 seconds slower than a newly built, big big bucks Cayman R race car, I just needed more power especially on that course as still only hitting 128 or so on the main straight, half way down it, just like in the Forester.

------------

Gotten a bit off track on this thread, WAY OFF TRACK, oooppps!!!!

------------

Picking tires can be extremely simply or very involved, or somewhere in the middle.

I try to keep it in the middle and I study, a lot, every time. Setting up a car for multiple duties, multiple tires, the least amount of chassis tuning between event types, works for my a bit different driving style, it usually becomes a bit mind boggling and never quite perfect but close but always room to be better, a challenge I love.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
When the owner of the ST1 national champ vette comes up to you and says he is blown away he could not gain on me in the Attitudes at MMP even though he practially runs over most race cars there then looked down and said "on street tires!" I was pretty proud to say the least:) Funny he called heat cycled, shaved, RA1 street tires though, to him they are I suppose.
That's because if he's used to running fully slick, thin carcass R6s/7s or BFG R1s, and that's what he's making the comparison to, the Toyos ARE "street tires"!! [:)]
And YES, stories like the above make me feel all that much better about FWD (and especially BOOSTED FWD, which I NEVER thought I would EVER own previous to this ride).
THANK YOU for these insights! [twothumb]

I was running the prototype of the first Cyborg turbo, relatively small IC, etc...5 seconds faster than another buddies national champ Spec Miata and 4 seconds slower than a newly built, big big bucks Cayman R race car, I just needed more power especially on that course as still only hitting 128 or so on the main straight, half way down it, just like in the Forester.
There is a dolt, status seeking, base Cayman owner over on bitog looking down his nose at our little rockets, claiming that no way, no how could our little econo-s**boxes keep up with, let alone show the quick way around even a very tight road course, given equally skilled drivers at the helm.
Oh P-car snootery just reigns supreme, correct? LOL

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thanks for your great comments, understanding, appreciation, I really am glad to hear it as I was of the same belief but so much fun to contradict and you do keep me on my toes, I have had to correct a few things, thanks:)

I had many serious boost issues and swore off turbo setups a couple of times over the years then became a devout lover of the LS engines, which I still highly admire as so simple and light as well as so compact but having a little 1.6 that could, would, does so much is pretty damn cool:)

The most fun I have had over the years is rubbing P bodies noses in it as most cannot drive, have no clue, etc but someone that can drive an earlier P car fast has my complete respect. I have never accepted rear engine P cars and loved the front and mid engine cars, even the latest 996 race car looks rear engined but is a mid engine race car.

I highly respect and appreciated the companies and individuals involve in creating new super cars, etc....which have gone to insane levels and really have no purpose except egoism in my opinion I still get it and look at it but now with more WHY than WOW.

BMW, a mixed bag, plenty of real enthusiasts in the mod world but in the regular world most seem quite are clueless about most anything including cars. I like alot about the vehicles but not much about most "owners" (renters in reality)

I have owned Vettes but seen many owners that have their noses in the air but most of those are waxers, not really drivers, the drivers are usually pretty cool.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I was over 2 seconds faster in my Forester XT than a Cayman R on sticker tires in a 45 second pro solo event, the one I got a standing ovation for. I was working the course when the car went by really close to me and I was in love, the sound, the look, the speed, then I looked at his time and I was that much faster blew my mind, still does.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
So in a nutshell, this thread is circular back-patting and long-winded rehashing of the long-known fact that tire sizes don't mean shit. You have to go by the manufacturer specs because a 205/40-17 from Bridgestone will probably not be the same dimensions as a 205/40-17 from Michelin or Federal, etc. Speaking of manufacturer specs, a 225/35-17 S-drive is still approved to run on a 7.5-9in wheel, just like it was in the Rota Titan thread. So are we following manufacturer specs or are we picking and choosing? I guess 2 track days in a Fiesta makes one an expert and more knowledgeable than a tire company regarding recommended wheel widths for their tires.

A7xogg

Thanks for your great comments, understanding, appreciation, I really am glad to hear it as I was of the same belief but so much fun to contradict and you do keep me on my toes, I have had to correct a few things, thanks:)

I had many serious boost issues and swore off turbo setups a couple of times over the years then became a devout lover of the LS engines, which I still highly admire as so simple and light as well as so compact but having a little 1.6 that could, would, does so much is pretty damn cool:)

The most fun I have had over the years is rubbing P bodies noses in it as most cannot drive, have no clue, etc but someone that can drive an earlier P car fast has my complete respect. I have never accepted rear engine P cars and loved the front and mid engine cars, even the latest 996 race car looks rear engined but is a mid engine race car.

I highly respect and appreciated the companies and individuals involve in creating new super cars, etc....which have gone to insane levels and really have no purpose except egoism in my opinion I still get it and look at it but now with more WHY than WOW.

BMW, a mixed bag, plenty of real enthusiasts in the mod world but in the regular world most seem quite are clueless about most anything including cars. I like alot about the vehicles but not much about most "owners" (renters in reality)

I have owned Vettes but seen many owners that have their noses in the air but most of those are waxers, not really drivers, the drivers are usually pretty cool.
Man, reading about ur racing stories brings back so many memories, similar memories but on a different type of racing(oval drag racing at local track). I won't get too into them but hearing my friends come tell me all the people watching are talking about how fast my car and set up is is a good feeling.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I was over 2 seconds faster in my Forester XT than a Cayman R on sticker tires in a 45 second pro solo event, the one I got a standing ovation for. I was working the course when the car went by really close to me and I was in love, the sound, the look, the speed, then I looked at his time and I was that much faster blew my mind, still does.
Yeah, the 'race car for the street' (GT2RS/GT4) versions of the Cayman are the ONLY Stuttgartmobile I have even a slight interest in currently, just as the M2 is the ONLY Bimmer I would ever consider at all (IF I were stupidly wealthy, of course). ;)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah, the 'race car for the street' (GT2RS/GT4) versions of the Cayman are the ONLY Stuttgartmobile I have even a slight interest in currently, just as the M2 is the ONLY Bimmer I would ever consider at all (IF I were stupidly wealthy, of course). ;)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Quite Honestly I can tell you after owning 2 E36 M3ā€™s I really do not a lot of desire to ever own another BMW. Not because they are bad cars but from the fact that from an engineering perspective some of their stuff just does not make sense.

Like the 3 bolt differentials. Who the fuck got the idea to bolt up the diff with one front bolt and 2 rear instead of of 2 front 2 rear. This is across the product line. Sheared bolts can and do happen. Yet they do not change it. There is a lot more .
In the engine designs in the chassis designs. On the other hand your hated Japanese car makers own them in this department. Properly engineered all over the place.

Does BMW manage to put together amazing performance cars that the sum is greater than the parts yes. Does it spell chronic maintenance ?... Yes
Love the E36 hate the crazy engineering decisions BMW makes.

Even with money its not worth owning another one. I am through with them. Lol

oh and donā€™t think just because its a modern M2 those crazy decisions arenā€™t there. German car makers are notoriusly stubborn in their ways.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Quite Honestly I can tell you after owning 2 E36 M3ā€™s I really do not a lot of desire to ever own another BMW. Not because they are bad cars but from the fact that from an engineering perspective some of their stuff just does not make sense.

Like the 3 bolt differentials. Who the fuck got the idea to bolt up the diff with one front bolt and 2 rear instead of of 2 front 2 rear. This is across the product line. Sheared bolts can and do happen. Yet they do not change it. There is a lot more .
In the engine designs in the chassis designs. On the other hand your hated Japanese car makers own them in this department. Properly engineered all over the place.

Does BMW manage to put together amazing performance cars that the sum is greater than the parts yes. Does it spell chronic maintenance ?... Yes
Love the E36 hate the crazy engineering decisions BMW makes.

Even with money its not worth owning another one. I am through with them. Lol

oh and donā€™t think just because its a modern M2 those crazy decisions arenā€™t there. German car makers are notoriusly stubborn in their ways.
It was a hypothetical view, as I would NOT own EITHER of the above, but just referencing what I kind of like from an aesthetic, layout, and performance standpoint.

But I also would not own any Nippon products either, regardless of how "perfectly" they are either 'engineered' OR "put together", since there are myriad domestic name-plated cars which I desire (including the various Anglo Ford RSes of course) IF I had said coin to purchase, MUCH MUCH more than ANY (YUP, even the 'Godzillas' and the MKIVs) of those worshiped by the JDM YO fanboi crowd rides. [wink]

Last edited:

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I looked at all the Euro cars and smaller SUV's 6 months ago and every single one I liked had some sort of very expensive serious problem to deal with, some more than one area of concern. Some we really liked but just to much to maintain and we wanted a bit older one to pay cash for, newer ones do not seem to be much better if at all.

Looked at the domestics, looked at Japanese, looked at all around usefulness, looked at reliability, looked at what we had before and loved, bought a 2003 V8 4runner LTD AWD, 247,000 miles, absolutely perfect maintenance record and everything works, every button, knob, dial, no leaks, no squeaks, drives like new, just a bit of paint fade on a few areas and one tiny dent, $4,600(very good deal from original owner). At 254,000 it is just the same, I can get the paint fixed for $500 but not sure I am going to.

I have had a huge list of vehicles and always the best luck buying by known qualities and not by brand loyalty or status symbol.

I love the ST but we all know it was sold with a few serious flaws, especially the head issue on the earlier cars and other models with this engine.
In this day and age that should just not happen, no excuse is acceptable. IF I keep it which I am leaning towards due to all the mods and tons of money into it no decent offers I can fix and live with the issues it has and be quite happy but if sold I will buy a first gen Toyota Matrix for my gas saving car, I had one of the first 3 sold, next day in a turbo shop, had great fun beating all but one or two SM class cars in good size fields in SoCal autocrosses, I should of kept it. BUT, I would not mod it much, if I want modded then have to keep the ST of course:)

anticon

I had my wheels off so I shot this comp pic. These are the stock wheels and tires next to my 15x8 td 1.2s w nitto neo gen 205/50s. I didn't measure them but something tells me they are not both 205mm wide. It can't be all stretch right?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I wonder if the factory sized (205/40-17s) Neo Gens are that much wider in actual tread width than the factory sized Potenzas or even the Pilot Sport AS/3s? [dunno]

Nitto's site only gives section width. :(