Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Things I'm missing in the FiST vs things I like

OP
P
Thread Starter #41
I still have to read up on 'sports mode', but is all it does, take off traction control?
I thought it would probably have more feats than that; if not, they could have just called it traction control?

When I hear 'sports mode', I hear 'Change A/F ratios to more stoic giving perhaps more aggressive throttle control, take off traction control and Electronic Stability Control (if the car has any)'; and any other setting like increase the angle of the rear spoiler, lower suspension; that kind of stuff usually found in exotic sports cars...

A7xogg

I still have to read up on 'sports mode', but is all it does, take off traction control?
I thought it would probably have more feats than that; if not, they could have just called it traction control?

When I hear 'sports mode', I hear 'Change A/F ratios to more stoic giving perhaps more aggressive throttle control, take off traction control and Electronic Stability Control (if the car has any)'; and any other setting like increase the angle of the rear spoiler, lower suspension; that kind of stuff usually found in exotic sports cars...
Hold it down, then it takes off everything

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club

Press it once and it sharpens up throttle response and “unlocks” the full hp and tq. Hold it down to disable driver aids. Neat that it did something I guess. Better mileage with it off, annoying it can’t be set to on by default. I feel really bad for anyone that Test drove and never hit the button.

zanethan

Press it once and it sharpens up throttle response and “unlocks” the full hp and tq. Hold it down to disable driver aids. Neat that it did something I guess. Better mileage with it off, annoying it can’t be set to on by default. I feel really bad for anyone that Test drove and never hit the button.
I don't thing it actually does anything other than turning off traction control. In doing so it also turns off the torque vectoring system which might make it feel like it's "unlocking" more power but everything I've read points to just turning off traction control.

I don't thing it actually does anything other than turning off traction control. In doing so it also turns off the torque vectoring system which might make it feel like it's "unlocking" more power but everything I've read points to just turning off traction control.
From all the stuff I have read here, I thought it only reduced traction control and stability control intervention when the button is pushed, and then turns traction control and stability control fully off if the button is held down until the warning comes on. I did not think you could ever turn off torque vectoring. Sometimes I think most of us inadvertently post things that are not 100% accurate, which is why I caveat my posts with “I thought” or “I think.” In this case zanethan could be 100% correct, but his information is not consistent with what I thought was the function of the button. Look at pages 12 and 13 of the Fiesta ST supplemental manual you got with your car and you can read what Ford says.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Correct. The engine behaves the same in any mode. You either get full TC, some, or none. The "torque vectoring" (inside braking in turns) is always on.

zanethan

Correct. The engine behaves the same in any mode. You either get full TC, some, or none. The "torque vectoring" (inside braking in turns) is always on.
Interesting, I thought it disabled it to some extent. At least that was my impression from how the system works on the Focus ST but I think the Focus system is also there to try and control torque steer more as well. I'm not 100% sure of that though. At any rate, I stand corrected and didn't mean to confuse anyone if I did.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I thought you were asking about the fiat one because that button actually says SPORT on it - the ford one is just driver aids, the fiat one actually changes the throttle map and boost levels. I know it’s cheesy but it’s kinda fun to feel the fiat sport button actually do something. With sport mode off, an Abarth is just like a 500 turbo, very soft and lazy, but with the sport button it’s a whole different car.

zanethan

I thought you were asking about the fiat one because that button actually says SPORT on it - the ford one is just driver aids, the fiat one actually changes the throttle map and boost levels. I know it’s cheesy but it’s kinda fun to feel the fiat sport button actually do something. With sport mode off, an Abarth is just like a 500 turbo, very soft and lazy, but with the sport button it’s a whole different car.
Oh that's really cool I didn't realize the Abarth did all that.

OP
P
Thread Starter #50
I'm sure if it changes the A/F ratios, they're not meant to be on the streets.
Legislation would probably fight off these feats for street cars, if they knew about it.

zanethan

Legislation would probably fight off these feats for street cars, if they knew about it.
Why? What difference does it make as long as it can pass emissions testing when using all maps?

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I'm sure you have no idea what you're talking about. Sport mode does not affect engine tuning. Period.

Like others have said, Sport mode (one press) turns off TCS. If you do a long press it will also turn off ESC. Torque vectoring can never be disabled.

OP
P
Thread Starter #53
I'm sure you have no idea what you're talking about. Sport mode does not affect engine tuning. Period.

Like others have said, Sport mode (one press) turns off TCS. If you do a long press it will also turn off ESC. Torque vectoring can never be disabled.
That post was a reply in reference to the Abarath, not FiST.

Why? What difference does it make as long as it can pass emissions testing when using all maps?
Because more NOx is produced at stoic A/F ratios; which is why most cars run lean from the factory; at the cost of performance.

zanethan

Because more NOx is produced at stoic A/F ratios; which is why most cars run lean from the factory; at the cost of performance.
Ummmmm no. Most cars, especially turbo charged ones, run RICH from the factory because it's safer... just look at your tail pipes after 1,000 miles. They will have a nice layer of soot from unburnt fuel. And again, as long as a car passes emissions testing in any fueling maps it wouldn't matter and would be completely legal.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
A 2017 ST has rear cabin lights end of story. You can not fit that type of aspect ratio on 17 inch wheels, 15 inch sure.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Not all FiSTs have the rear cabin light. End of story. My 2017 does not. The rear cabin light is part of the sunroof/Recaro package. End of story.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Not all FiSTs have the rear cabin light. End of story. My 2017 does not. The rear cabin light is part of the sunroof/Recaro package. End of story.
You upset buddy maybe having a bad day? I don't have Recaros. If the rear cabin doesn't have lights standard that's pretty pathetic of Ford.

zanethan

You upset buddy maybe having a bad day? I don't have Recaros. If the rear cabin doesn't have lights standard that's pretty pathetic of Ford.

I don't have Recaro's, and I have the rear lights. I do have a sunroof though.