Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Single click coming from turbocharger when accel/decel & after idle rev

I have a single click-noise coming from the area around my turbocharger on my 2017 Fiesta ST. It doesn't have any boost leaks, but clicks every time I tap the accelerator, and makes the same clicking noise on engine braking and after the RPMs settle after an idle rev to 3K RPM (causing turbo spool). It occasionally appears to leak boost during engine braking as well, but this is very rare (turbo spool, let off throttle, hear "PSHHH" from my BOV spacer, and then a hiss afterwards for three-five seconds that stops after the click).

I took a metal rod to listen in to the click at idle, and it's absolutely coming from the turbo manifold area. I can feel and hear it very well. Any ideas?

14K miles, stage one plus exhaust until fifteen minutes ago (removed tune due to warranty work appointment).

I'm taking it in on the 29th, but am going to Tail of the Dragon from the 24th to the 26th and don't want to have my turbocharger go on me while I'm there.

OP
P
Thread Starter #4
The ticking was caused by a sticking diverter valve (the part that the BOV spacer gets between). Debris was able to enter in through the spacer and caused the spring mechanism to trap dirt and grime inside of it, causing it to stick unless boost pressure was present.

Removing the spacer and cleaning the diverter valve resolved the issue. I now run a Turbosmart full-recirc plumb back without issues.

Jerickson88

The ticking was caused by a sticking diverter valve (the part that the BOV spacer gets between). Debris was able to enter in through the spacer and caused the spring mechanism to trap dirt and grime inside of it, causing it to stick unless boost pressure was present.

Removing the spacer and cleaning the diverter valve resolved the issue. I now run a Turbosmart full-recirc plumb back without issues.

Ah yep. Same here. The only thing that spacer is good for is allowing you to hear how sticky and problematic that electronic crap can be. The Plumb Back made the car much more pleasant to drive

CSM

1000 Post Club

My Boomba full recirculating BPV started making this same clicking noise about 3 months after install. Boomba is telling me they have never heard of this issue on these units (whatever). Anyways, what did you use to clean the BPV? Brake cleaner? Just water+Towel+Elbow grease?

OP
P
Thread Starter #7
My Boomba full recirculating BPV started making this same clicking noise about 3 months after install. Boomba is telling me they have never heard of this issue on these units (whatever). Anyways, what did you use to clean the BPV? Brake cleaner? Just water+Towel+Elbow grease?
That is bullshit, because I contacted Boomba on Facebook and had a VERY long conversation regarding this exact issue.

I pulled the BPV off and took it to my workbench, being careful not to lose the spring inside. I cleaned it out with brakleen and dried it off immediately with a non-fibrous towel.

Best of luck!

CSM

1000 Post Club
That is bullshit, because I contacted Boomba on Facebook and had a VERY long conversation regarding this exact issue.

I pulled the BPV off and took it to my workbench, being careful not to lose the spring inside. I cleaned it out with brakleen and dried it off immediately with a non-fibrous towel.

Best of luck!
Yeah, I was not happy with how they responded to my customer service e-mail. I more or less got a "we've sold 100s of these, with no issues in ticking. You must be wrong". Absolutely terrible way to approach customers with a legitimate complaint. I don't think I'll buy their products anymore because of this.

haste

1000 Post Club
Yeah, I'm disappointed with Boomba. I bought their wing risers and the anodized finish wore off. They wanted me to take them off the car, ship it to them so they could re-anodize the parts, lol. Waaaaay too much work and it would cost me shipping.

They offered me a discount coupon for their website...efff that.

CSM

1000 Post Club
So would a GFB DV+ go along with any kind of BOV nicely to prevent these kind of issues?
I think so. Going to an aftermarket DV or BPV will definitely fix the leaking issues FiST owners have seen with factory BPV. Thats the real benefit of these aftermarket units, the boomba unit included.

But I'm of the opinion that these aftermarket valves will need maintenance periodically no matter the design. I am going to pull my Boomba unit at some point soon and clean it and give it a light coating of some oil at the piston interface...I am hoping a cleaning and a regrease will solve my clicking issues, which is probably the piston having a sticky mechanism.