Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Federal Evoluzion ST1 - anybody try them?

Please keep this thread updated as you log more miles in different conditions. This looks like a great option to run for me as well.

OP
A

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
Will do everyone. Like M-sport Fan mentioned, I'm really glad Federal makes this tire in our size, and the "plus sizes" which are also popular for our cars. It's a small market and they're really the only ones that cater to us.

I've been leaning on these tires more and more and I am very happy with them. Much more grip than the Bridgestones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If I can find these in a 215/40/17 I’ll be a test mule also. I’ve only been able to find 215/45/17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Unfortunately, these tires don't seem to be available in 15". I've been doing mostly commuting and "touring" in my FiST so my SS-595s have been just fine and with a mostly stock engine, I haven't needed the extra grip.

I've been really impressed with the 595s so far though and think I may eventually decide on some Federals to replace these soon. The tread is starting to wear thin but the grip is still almost the same as when they were new, even in the wet.

But there are not many options for Federals in the size I'm looking at getting next (195/60R15)...so I am probably going to go with the Formoza FD2s.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Interested in results long term for these as well. I'm going to be in need of some 215/40/17's shortly for my new wheels.

OP
A

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
We have had quite a bit of rain here over the past few days. My experience is that the overall wet/damp grip in the rain is superb compared to the Potenzas. And the resistance to hydroplaning is phenomenal. These tires have incredible amounts of voiding and depth in the tread. Dry performance is also significantly better than the potenzas. They are much more predictable at the limit and they don't chatter once you exceed the limit.

We have had quite a bit of rain here over the past few days. My experience is that the overall wet/damp grip in the rain is superb compared to the Potenzas. And the resistance to hydroplaning is phenomenal. These tires have incredible amounts of voiding and depth in the tread. Dry performance is also significantly better than the potenzas. They are much more predictable at the limit and they don't chatter once you exceed the limit.

Thanks for your reviews so far. Couple questions...how does the sidewall stiffness/turn in feel compared to the Potenza's? And then how is the road noise? Also what pressures are you running?

OP
A

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #31
I'm running the factory recommended 39/36 f/r pressure. The sidewalls do feel a little bit softer. Turn in is still pretty good, it is just a little squirmy until the tire takes a set.

Road noise is minimal. Tire noise usually is caused by alternating tread blocks in the design. If you look at these tires, the tread design is very linear.

I'm running the factory recommended 39/36 f/r pressure. The sidewalls do feel a little bit softer. Turn in is still pretty good, it is just a little squirmy until the tire takes a set.

Road noise is minimal. Tire noise usually is caused by alternating tread blocks in the design. If you look at these tires, the tread design is very linear.

Good to know. Sorry if I missed it earlier, but do you have any suspension/chassis mods?

OP
A

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #33
I never mentioned it here but I am stock springs/shocks but I have every Pierce brace (6pt lower, front upper strut, midship, trunk), and the Pierce rear torsion bar.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
On my Federals I noticed that too. I ultimately went with a slightly increased pressure (40 both f/r) which helped turn-in somewhat and also improved the ride a little too (nothing crazy but it was definitely noticeable).

I first tried various pressures with the same front/rear ratio as stock...I even reduced pressures (helps acceleration/braking a bit), but settled on about 40 all around because I like how the extra pressure in the rear makes the rear tires seem to follow a little better into the turn. Don't know how best to describe it, but it works for me. However, I do spend most of my time on the highways.

OP
A

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #35
Ya I've been playing with the pressures. I had them at 38/35 but went up to the 39/36 recommended. I'm gonna try 40/36 then slowly go up in the rear. My car is already tail happy with the rear torsion bar. But I bet I'll end up at 40/40 or maybe 42/40 which works well for me on the track.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I'm tempted enough to buy these in the near future and try them out, unfortunately, they don't come in 15s.
How do they compare to the Firestone Indy 500? Any thoughts?

OP
A

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #38
I nailed a pothole a few nights ago and got a small bubble in the sidewall. I've tried the only two vendors on the Internet that seem to carry this tire, and they're both out of stock. Of course, they don't tell me until after I've ordered and paid! [:(!] The second vendor asked if there's an alternate tire I'm interested in, and that they would honor a discount - whatever that means. I'm gonna try and get them to give me a Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 for the same price. And from there, I will just replace my other 3 with the Firestones if I like them as much as everyone else does. It's a shame because I've really begun to like these tires.

HBEcoBeaST

Bummer. I was really looking into these tires. I drive crap roads so I need things to be able to handle potholes.

Maybe it was just a fluke?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
A

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #40
Any 40-series tire is going to be very susceptible to sidewall bubbles from a pothole. I don't fault the tire, but I can't keep using these tires if it is impossible to get a replacement.